Would you pay un monthly fee for a "iracing like" MP system in R3E ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by le_poilu, May 4, 2016.

?

Would you pay un monthly fee for a "iracing like" MP system

1. yes, sign me in !

27 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No, MP should remain free

137 vote(s)
    83.5%
  1. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    How so?

2. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I just list some of the tools/functions:
    • pTracker / sTracker alone does a lot of the work one needs to evaluate a race
    • MP let's you assign certain liveries to certain drivers and one could use designs on its own with e.g. team signs etc.
    • HeliCorsa gives a good situational awareness
    • manual drive in and out of pitlane without the risk to be crashed by a dumb AI system there
    • pre-booking-system that makes it easy to setup training cycles etc. for registered league drivers
    • lots of useful apps to improve racing experience like MinoRating
    just to name a few and I am sure I have left some more points.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    :) Most of what you mentioned are 3rd party apps and they can all be done for R3E....Only if Sector 3 adds more info to the dedicated results file and maybe some kind of API to get real live data from the dedicated server

Though some of them can be done using client shared memory and other stuff are already possible from dedicated server

Not to mention Mr_belowski Crew Chief which is different than HeliCorsa but kind of gives you similar info :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  4. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I think opening up the server browser a bit to allow 3rd party apps to get race info and be used to enter races (choose a server from, say, a web page and click 'join'), along with providing apps more data about the server and its clients, would make a big difference.

Regarding Helicorsa, Crew Chief isn't as accurate, but has the huge added advantage that it swears profusely at you :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    When been trying to tell all that to Sector 3 for a couple of months now...haven't we Sir! No luck yet :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. T@X

T@X Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I think it's more of a cause-effect situation.
    If you have better, wreck-free and engaging (ranks , leagues ecc) multiplayer, more people join.
    Iracing has only multiplayer and with some of it's cars (read GT3 mainly) still flawed by the bad tire model, and horrible force feedback iteration for the "cheap belt-driven wheels", keeps it's full player base mainly because of the multiplayer model.

I'm sure if a true and competent alternative becomes reality, many would be happy to move to Raceroom.
    You second question (fast reply, it's more complicated than this, but basically): races. When you wreak on to another player you lose points, when you complete long races without going offtrack or making incidents you get bonuses, also you get bonus points obviously from your position at the end of the race. Manly a better, competent and correct racedriver you are, higher your ranking is.

Maybe i didn't express myself correctly when i said :

Yes, just do it optional.
    People that like offline, stay with what they have (like it is right now)
    Pro-league : completely optional subscription, penalities, points,ranking , leagues. Better Mp environment and racing.

I meant, not only offline.

The main sim remains exactly as it is right now, if you want to do casual MP races you'll still have some servers to do it.
    That's all.

Raceroom, that way, would offer an alternative that still remains a very solid sim for offline and casual multi, but also a very competent multiplayer experience for players that like it and i think the player base would increase dramatically with such a multiplayer iteration.

It's options.
    Nobody loses anything.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for clarifying, sounds got to me that way. Only that I do fear you guys are totally overestimating the number of league racers compared to the normal folks. But in your model that doesn't matter - so I'd support that idea.

Let's think it further - for instance I don't care much about mainstream stuff like GT3, DTM or WTCC. IMSA GTO, Group 5 or classic touring could attract me. Would there be races for all sorts of classes at any time? I wouldn't like to pay a monthly fee and then see "my" race class only being offered every once in a while.
    Why a monthly fee and not a starting fee per event?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Very good point! I'd hate a schedule where whoever is in charge choose whatever they want and not what the mainstream would like to race on/with.

So, what I was thinking is that the schedules and combos (cars/tracks) are chosen by popularity. Schedule for the most used combos are auto generated. And apart from that, people should be able to vote for their favorite combo.

The statistics of what people are racing most with/on will be saved and this in combination with users requests/votes the most popular/requested combos would be online for people to race on.

With some intelligent algorithms and statistics, this automation will all be possible and will make people happier I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  9. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Why to start with fees on something that devs dont know if will work? Yes, make it... it would be definetly good step forward, but FREE at the beginning. And when there will be enough drivers and it become popular, then maybe they can think about some fees.
    It can also bring there more people to pay, because they can taste that mode for free. Me personally would not pay for something I cannot try first. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Good idea, with one little trap - with only the popular calsses being offered, how could another series establish itself?
    As an example, I was driving FRJ online yesterday. There were a meager 3 servers available. Few servers = few players = little popularity. Thus such a class would never really have a chance in this MP model.
    Very complex, but also very interesting topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    I really like your reasoning :) Yesterday I wanted to race FRJ and there was nobody so instead I raced nothing :( I totally know what you mean.

So I guess in such cases, people can vote for such a class and I think its only then fair to start such a server if there are enough players that want it. I mean, lets say only me and you want to race it...then whats the point of bring up such server anyway?

But if people can voice/show their favorites, then this can be part of the algorithm....oh look Don wants to race with FRJ!! Let me vote and join him! Jack Black and Joe Blogs see the votes too and then join......see what I mean? :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Or maybe a "Schnupper"-Race every week/month to promote the less popular series :)

(btw - if you are in for a FJR race, you can always look for me: "Carsten Gurk" ;) )

• Like Like x 1
  13. T@X

T@X Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    It's simple.
    EVERY class/cars/group has it's own competition always active and online with free pratices and scheduled races and qualify sessions 24/7.
    It should be an official race every couple of hours for each of the classes. The free practices sessions last 2 hours and are always online, for people to join: one ends, another begins. I repeat, this is for EVERY class and car or groups.
    The points/ranking/incidents system only work during official races, of course.
    Nothing is left out.

IE - you have the AUDI TT championshp, FJ championship, Group 5 championship, touring classics championship and so on.
    The championships are divided in seasons, and every week the track changes.
    IE, one championship's season can last 5 weeks, another 10. It depends on the classs and cars.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  14. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Ideally yes..but do you know how big the hardware requirements are for that!?

15. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Though I like the idea, I fear you need the payer base of a console game like Drive Club to fill those server rooms.

16. T@X

T@X Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    As you can see Iracing succeds and has a massive amount of players because it's the only one applying such model in the multiplayer racing pc market. I already said that such a massive amount of players is attracted mainly by the competent, and (almost) incident-free multiplayer model. You have to be a seriously clean and "professional" driver to enter such a competition.
    It's very realistic the way drivers behave there, because of the penalities: you get very clean and "professional" races and championships. It adds alot to the realism.
    Raceroom could dramaticaly increase it's player's base applying a model like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  17. T@X

T@X Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean ?
    Obviosly when you have a montly subscription a more substantial server-farm is required and mainained with the montly incomes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    "Massive amount of players" sounds a little exaggerated to me. iRacing state on their homepage they have 60.000 players. You call that "massive"? Driveclub sold 2 million copies. pCars already sold 1 million copies a year ago. Those have a massive player base to build on. There must be something that makes such titles attractive - I am tempted to believe it is not the multiplayer part... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Apply a model like that for free and imagine the dramatic increase of players, all the supposed benefits of the iracing system free.
    Never played it, wouldnt pay it, but some of it sounds interesting. And if people are prepared to pay for that system then providing it for free in this game would be a great draw.
    You could even seperate free from paid, with only paid users having access to such a system.
    Provide it as a feature for paid users, dont charge user fees to use it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, makes sense.

I wonder what kind of statistics (apart from rating, session results and leader boards) users will be interested to have on their dashboard?