WTCC car differences

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lixma, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Recently I've been spending some quality time with the WTCC cars (and so should you - they're fantastic) and I've also been watching the eSports WTCC races on Youtube.

A few times I've heard the commentators say something like "this track suits the Volvo" or "the Honda should be quick in this section" - are there any significant differences between the cars in the WTCC classes and if so what are they?

2. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Are there any differences between the cars? Yes. Each car has different physics and things it excels at.

As for the commentators mentioning differences in the cars... They may be relying on real world knowledge of the car, and applying that to the RR cars. I havent heard the broadcasts though, so Im not sure here.

Describing the exact differences is always going to be very difficult though because the cars are so close in speed to each other. Better would probably be just driving them yourself and noticing the subtleties between them. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    In a field that is that close to each other like the WTCC and especially after balancing that cars in Raceroom, there can't be significant differences but there are noteable differences. Describing them is really very very difficult as they are linked to the personal preferences.
    Things the commentators describe are personal experiences I guess, as @Robert Wiesenmüller knows those cars pretty good from previous championships.

4. Robert Wiesenmüller

Robert Wiesenmüller Esports / Events

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    The comments are referring to the actual cars ingame, not to the real WTCC cars. I drove these cars a lot, I actually participate in a WTCC league in Virtual Racing, drive the track presentation laps and was involved in the betatesting, so these comments are based on my own experiences, and also of course on what I see on the leaderboards and in the races.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I've been putting in some laps (more than is healthy) at the Nordschliefe in the 2017 Citroen and then I watched this....

....and I'm amazed how just how accurate Raceroom's Citroen is. The way the steering wheel bucks around, the way the engine chatters as the car searches for grip, the hellish noise....

Awesome job, Sector 3. Just awesome.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Viggdred

Viggdred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of WTCC, I'd like to know how to keep the front tyres more than 5 laps :)...
    Whatever I'm trying, the same problem persist !!!
    For me, it's impossible to make a 20mn race without being "red hot", in front...
    HELP !!!!
    Thanx...

7. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Races only last about 20mins in real life - I'll bet their tires are worn out (very 'red') at the end of the race, too.

8. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you're pushing too much the throttle in turn exits, or you're steering too much and creating understeer, or sometimes locking front brakes.
    Try to listen sound of tires, when you hear heavy slip sound that's bad for wear, so you can try to correct this. :)

9. Shivas FR

Shivas FR Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Wtcc cars loves eat their front tires. You had to manage your tires when you don't need to push.

In some corners, it's sometimes easier, faster and tires-friendly to pass at low RPM (been at low rpm on 4th gear than high rpm on 3rd for exemple).

That's why these car are tricky and fun to drive. You always search grip without slip.

I was on the division 2 e-sport event on the Nord. Ended the race with the front tires oranges close to red. Really painfull, but my knowledge was very low on this car and track.

Keep practicing, understand the car, the grip and, of course, avoid any drift.

10. Viggdred

Viggdred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I have to change my "wheel settings", or the setting of differential.
    Don't know what to do...o_O