xBox controller rumble.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Munty, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Munty

Munty New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to start a really good conversation about the controller rumble. I know this game screams for a wheel and pedals but there are loads and loads of us who can't afford an expensive setup, or like me can't use them, and we have to rely on a controller.

Unlike some other sims, pCars, Assetto and others the controller setup and 'feel' is very good. However I find the rumble is really quite bad, which is such a shame. I have a constant low rumble all the time which is horrible, I actually get numb fingers. Kerbs don't rumble enough, there is no feel of brake lock or slide, hitting kerbs is weak, car contact reports nothing. All these things add up to make a superb experience if correct.

I hate using Forza as a comparison to any driving sim as it's physics are really quite simple, but it is good fun to play. However personally I think Forza have nailed the controller FB. pCars is pretty good as well, others, well, some are ok and others aren't. But sadly it's pretty poor here.

Could I please ask you fine developer folks put the wheels back in the boxes for a couple of weeks and test, test, test and test with controllers, fine tune the rumbles and make it part of the game rather than it feeling like an after thought? Please?

My game development is all Unity these days, I've been though many game engines writing all sorts of stuff, controller rumble is always difficult to get setup well, trying to convey 20+ different 'moments' with just 2 or 4 little motors is tricky. But it is possible.

But the most important things at the moment are:
    1. Please lose the constant low rumble, it's awful.
    2. Feedback for brake lock.
    3. Feedback for slide and drift.

I hate to moan about this because the rest of RR is superb. The last 4 days (since I discovered it) has just been a blur of tracks and cars!

But please all add your thoughts, I'm interested to know what others think about. :eek:)

2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    You should play around with the Force Feedback Effect Settings. The constant rumbling is probably down to the engine vibrations effect. The slip effect should help you a bit with brake locking and slides.

3. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Which controller are you using? That would be a very useful thing to know!