Problem Xbox One controller – no force feedback/vibration

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by toby_w, Dec 9, 2015.

1. toby_w

toby_w New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Just joined the PC/RaceRoom community from the 'console' world, and I'm currently using an Xbox One wireless controller to get started.

Unfortunately, unlike the other racing games I'm playing (Project CARS and Dirt Rally), the Xbox One controller doesn't have any Force Feedback or vibrations options. I've looked around, but can't seem to find a solution that works for me.

Here's hoping you can help...

For the record:

– I'm using an Xbox One wireless controller, permanently plugged in with the official USB cables
    – I've made sure the drivers are up-to-date using Windows 10's automatic driver update
    – It lists my only available driver options as 'Xbox controller'
    – I can't seem to force a driver uninstall and re-install (equally, all links to current or previous drivers through Microsoft seem to have been deleted in favour of Windows 10's automated system)
    – RaceRoom recognises I have an Xbox One controller, and I can adjust key bindings etc., but the option for 'Force Feedback' is greyed out

If anyone can help, it will be hugely appreciated. Love the content/tone of this game, and really want to get racing. However, I spend half my time spinning as I don't have any rumble to tell me about excessive wheel-spin...

2. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

RaceRoom currently does not have full support for the Xbox One controller.
    It's on our to-do list however.

• Like Like x 1
  3. toby_w

toby_w New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Many thanks for the info – and good to hear. Might have to pick up a cheap X360 controller in the interim...

It's amazing how vital a bit of vibration is for feedback. How did we cope before we had rumble?

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Get a well maintained Rumblepad 2, best pad hands down and works a treat in R3E.

5. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Do you have an update on when full support for the Xbox One controller will be coming? Support for the Impulse Triggers on the Xbox One would be fantastic. now that there seem to be proper Windows drivers to support these, though would be happy without these as long as there is at least a proper profile for the Xbox One in R3E

6. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I just remembered I actually already own a Logitech Rumblepad 2, but haven't used it for years (I used it when I had a Mac), as well as my Xbox One Elite controller! I'd almost forgotten I had it, but reading your post prompted me to look for it and I found it the bottom of a drawer full of cables.
    I may well give this a go in R3E and see if it works out any better than the Xbox One Controller, at least until Sector 3 sort out proper for the Xbox One Controller. Wouldn't hurt to do a comparison, at least.

@Christian Göpfert - what settings did you find work best for the Rumblepad 2 in R3E?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  7. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The XBox One Controller works fine in R3E, once proper configured. I posted my settings in the controller profiles thread.

8. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Sure, I know, thanks, I'll be sure to try them out - would prefer to be able to use my XBE controller, if it works with R3E!

9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    As you know it does come with one major "flaw", which is that it doesn't have analog shoulder buttons, which many people seem to prefer for throttle/brake input nowadays.
    If, like me, you prefer to use the right stick for acceleration/braking then imo nothing beats the Rumblepad, mainly because of its very accurate, firm sticks.

Here are the settings I'm using at the moment:
    controller setup.jpg
    I usually leave the steering lock setting in the car setup menu at 13, on some cars I reduce it to 12, on other cars I raise it a little. Really depends on how twitchy you like the car to behave.

10. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks I'll try both the Rumblepad 2 and the Xbox Elite controller and see which one I get on best with, my gaming PC is in for repairs, though, and won't be getting it back before next week. The Xbox Elite controller feels much nicer in the hands, though!

BTW I assume that you use auto-clutch, as presumably the clutch control needs to be analog? Actually I assume even in the Xbox Elite controller I'd have to use auto-clutch, unless maybe I mapped the right stick to it?

Do you use the shoulder buttons for gear shifting?

11. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    When throttle and brake are assigned to the right stick, I suggest using shoulder buttons for shifting so you don't have to release throttle/brake when shifting up/down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I do use auto-clutch, yes, and manual transmission (assigned to shoulder buttons like Paradox Agi said)
    But somebody mentioned he's using a digital shoulder button on his pad as manual clutch, for driving h-pattern cars (Group 5 f.e.) and being able to coast smoothly in those, so I think it should actually work. But auto-clutch works very well for me.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  13. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, think I mostly plan on racing ADAC GT GM and GT3. Apart from auto-clutch, are you able to control to cars without any other assists? Or is ABS and traction control normal for GT class cars?

14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    AfaIk the GT3 cars do have ABS enabled permanently, just like irl.
    But I prefer to drive with as little assists as possible, so unless I'm driving some upcoming very high powered cars *coughcough* I tend to disable TC and I'm getting along rather well I'd say. My favourite cars are the classics, Group 5, DTM '92, GTO and alike and those don't even have ABS or TC, just like their rl counterparts.