Your left front is hot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by grole00, Jan 20, 2022.

1. grole00

grole00 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm getting extremely hot tire tems usually on left front or right front. Stock setup. Like 130° left and 85° right. It's causing significant wear so that by the end of a 15min race I can't keep it on the road.
    I haven't experienced this in other sims. Is it normal and if not, what can I do about i?

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Which car and track?

3. grole00

grole00 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    M235i at Zandvoort, but I've had it with other combos too.

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Zandvoort is a left front killer same as Sachsenring for the right front. If you are racing fixed setup then nothing can be done to mitigate it setupwise but on open setup you can lower tyre pressure and adjust camber.

The only stuff you can try is putting less traction control, brake bias towards the rear to help turn the car on throttle and brake and reducing steering inputs.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You're overdriving the car. Left F will always heat at zandvoort. That's physics for you. But you can limit it by being not so agressive with your steering inputs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Calm down, calm down! ;)

7. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about that. M235i is always hot on its tyres compared to other cars. On Zandvoort I'd totally expect hitting 130C in some corners.

8. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    I also did a 15 minute race with the m235i at zandvoort today and the tires did get very hot (up to 150 degrees) but at no point did it feel undriveable for me. After like 2-3 laps the understeer had noticeably increased but by the end i was only a little over a second slower than my best lap of the race so nothing too dramatic

9. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    That is pretty damn toasty, probably a bit higher than I'd like to see to be honest. I'll give it a try on Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    If youre referring to my 150 then just to clarify that only happened once a lap after the series of right handers in the middle part of the lap. If op's 130 are already a concern then i probably had my left front above that pretty much constantly for the second half of the race but id have to drive again to be sure about that

11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    It wouldn´t hurt to have lower default tyre pressures especially as this car is usually in fixed setup rooms.

12. grole00

grole00 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great thanks for the info. Indeed when I say "undriveable" that's exaggerated. Probably I would have been a second or so slower if I'd just adapted to the understeer. And yes, I'm probably not perfect with my steering inputs, I'm brand new to sim racing!
    I'll delve into the world of setups I guess, and see about trying to be nicer to those tires. At least now I've got a proper HUD, only just figured that out. Don't know why there's no tire temp indicator in the game HUD.

13. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    In many cars, you can see the tire temperatures in the cockpit on one of the dashboard pages.

14. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    One of my pet peeves with this game is that the HUD and dashboard page skins can´t be user overridden. Some cars are at a disadvantage because they dispplay less information, especially those using the older skins.

15. grole00

grole00 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Apologies for my ignorance, but what are the dashboard pages? All I'm aware of are the HUD options, in the game itself anyway. In the end I find Otterhub, which is excellent and integrated into crew chief.

16. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Options - Gameplay - HUD. Switch "Data display style" from "Mini" to "Full" and you'll have a Motec-style dash with multiple pages. In Controls - Key Bindings assign a button to switch between pages. This way you'll have access to most (but not all) info that you might need without using any third party apps: lap delta, temps, position deltas, etc.

17. grole00

grole00 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, thanks. I had no idea there were multiple pages.