Sector3! Make a normal AI!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTDnipro, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    I tested today , and had side by side every lap for 10 laps all across the mountain , @ Bathurst , yes there was contact but none that were unexpected and the racing was good , pulling hard up on the bumper etc ; its about balancing your abilities with the AI ,

i find a time i can run and set the Ai to that
    so today was bathurst Audi TT , 115% Ai
    started at the back and race the field , so i can do the same fastest lap as AI , but have to race them all the way through the field , its not about winning its about learning the I there lines and there attitude , where they defend hard where they dont etc
    Once youve done it a few times bump the AI up , relearn

At bathurst if i go for a real race , with quali , i run 118% quali in top 10 , then have to race and defend really hard to hold and gain posistions , and yep they toucjh , yes they push ....; but thats why its called racing .. they race you

Andi

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

You're taking the wrong line approaching the turn in and you're going too slow, yes the AI blatantly took you out and in Real Life they would've got a drive through penalty. But that's just the thing, I've see this happen in real life, it's racing! Essentially though you'll be better off showing a video under proper racing conditions, not this one as it makes you out to be poor not the AI.

Incorrect, RF2s AI is very good and better than R3Es in many areas but it does have its issues & problems, just like this and any other Sim.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Yes the AI is too agressive at the moment. I even had a couple of times that they actually try to run me off the track when going side by side. Some adjustments of the AI awareness could be an improvement. Don't change the AI too much though, because i think it's pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  4. morpwr

morpwr Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree with the complaints about the ai. I love r3e and used to think it had the best ai by far. But since the adaptive ai was introduced its bad. You could run door to door before and not have an issue. Now if youre on the inside they will just turn right into you like you don't exist. Same goes for getting rear ended this almost never happened before. It was usually more of a problem for me hitting them being slow were I wasn't then the other way around. Slow down on a straight the ai doesn't see you now it wont even attempt to go around you or at least not hammer you from behind. That was one of the things I really liked about the ai in r3e they will retaliate so it felt like racing a person but they screwed something up since the update. I get its racing and contact will happen and sometimes when you stick your car where it didn't belong you wind up the loser but the ai was way better before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    You must be speaking of something else, because adaptive AI has been a part of the game for years. Perhaps since the very beginning :p

AI is unaffected by slowdowns, so turn off penalties when you race them for a more 'fair' race. If you feel like you cut the track somewhere, just give back the place and be your own race steward :)

Nevertheless, AI work doesnt cease here. You try to add a new feature such as AI stress, and other things get goobered up. AI code is far too complex to make perfect and never regress when something new is added. Work is being done to fine tune things.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. morpwr

morpwr Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Ok I'm sort of new to r3e but maybe 2 updates ago when it was listed they changed something in the ai maybe the aggression/stress? I don't remember exactly. You misunderstood what I was getting at with regards to slowing down on a straight. I usually run between 100 and 110 for ai strength even on a combination I don't really know so I'm not looking for a more fair race. I slowed down to see what happened and the ai just plowed into me like I didn't exist. They should try to avoid a collision just like we would want to. There was plenty of room. All I'm saying is something changed drastically in the way the ai behaves and not in a good way. Its like they have zero situational awareness now where before id say they were the best out of any sim.

7. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    It's pointless testing AI in non race scenarios like that as they're not programmed to deal with it, just race them in normal race conditions then post any issues you have preferably with a video if possible.

8. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it would be helpful if people encountering too aggressive AI would state the racing series and AI level in their posts. I had several great races this weekend at Karlskoga, like NSU 110%, WTCC 2013 110% and Classic Touring 120% and in neither of these races was I rammed off the track, in contrary, I had real nice door to door fights with AI.
    Unlike modern DTM at 110%, (any track) where I did encounter the behaviour some people described.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. morpwr

morpwr Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't actually testing them like that. It just happened something I noticed because I had to slowdown and the car just plowed into me.

10. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    That's fine, fyi though it happens in real life too ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. morpwr

morpwr Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I would agree the nsu seems to work very well. I cant remember having any issues with them at all.

12. morpwr

morpwr Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Yeah like that.lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I think that was a slow-mo video :innocent:

▲▲ Totally agree.
    If I had a Euro for every time I have seen this advice given to a first post in iRacing! And there is NO AI there!
    If you get hit from behind, yes, it's the following driver's 'fault' nine times out of (nine plus a couple extra). But that doesn't mean it wasn't YOUR 'fault' as well.

Drive Offensively- the life you save may be your own : Alan Dean Foster (and many others I expect.)

14. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    you mean this strange behavior? it sucks after one completes a full lap on the Nordschleife and in the end the AI drives into the back

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    You could easily avoid this contact by staying at the right side of the track. The ai was the first one to go to the left side of the track and after he made his move, you decided to block him, but it was already too late.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  16. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Rule of Thumb #7 : always watch a crash back from the other driver's point of view.
    Rule of Thumb #8 : When posting video evidence of an incident, expect to be blamed by half of all viewers.

An overhead view might crucify you even more....

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Some people have only 1 rule : it's always the other one who made the mistake ;)

By the way to me it was not clear who made the mistake, but he could avoid the incident.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    To me seems like that was the only one possible race line... going at 280kmh into the left kink ;)
    Anyway, as we say: for every 2 people, you get 3 different opinions :D

19. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

I know who I blame for what should happen next.........

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Me too.
    The photographer. :)

• Funny Funny x 2