Raceroom AI )-;

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jacodel, Dec 11, 2017.

1. jacodel

jacodel New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom has the worst AI of all existing simulations. And as the multiplayer is zero then quickly at AC and RF2.

• Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
  2. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    That's a constructive feedback! :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. jacodel

jacodel New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    NO...That's a realist feedback! Sector 3 has all the resources necessary to sell us theirs cars and tracks ... but cannot fix a problem that has always lasted. My wallet has enough.

View this video:

4. Joseph Mitchell

Joseph Mitchell Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    That video was made months before the new update which has vastly improved the behaviour of the AI. I'm not one to comment but I think posting the video here was a bit unfair.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    R3E AI is the best.
    play AC or PC 2 and compare ;)

6. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    If you're going to Assetto Corsa for superior AI you clearly have no idea and your opinion lacks all credibility.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I agree... if by "worst" you mean "best" :D

Before the last update the AI in Raceroom used to be very hit and miss for me... sometimes it would provide me some of the best AI racing ever, and other times it would be an absolute disaster and cause me to rage quit the game after dozens of restarts.

Since the November update things have improved considerably and I've had nothing but extremely exciting races since then. It's amazing how human-like the AI in Raceroom bahaves sometimes. They fight you all the way for each position and they don't give up once you get side-by-side with them (which happens in AC). Plus, seeing AI cars fight with each other is a sight to behold in this game... it can often feel like an online race.

Overall I would say that we single player sim racers are more fortunate than ever now, with at least three sims having really good AI at the moment - R3E, AMS and rF2. Assetto Corsa, even though it's way better now than it used to be, is still a bit more on-rails and predictable, but by all means not terrible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Before the last update AI was brutal on some car and track combinations (Group 5 at Bathurst was suicide). Now they are toned down to a reasonable level and still race you. Something the AI in AC doesn't do (they were improved but chose to pass you, mostly when you make mistakes). I haven't checked AMS AI recently, but they were quite good last time I played. CARS 2 AI is ok-ish. The only thing that pisses me off about Raceroom AI is the leader sometimes decides to pit on the final lap.

9. leon_90

leon_90 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My only problem with R3E (apart from the occasional punterino they still like to do from time to time :D) is that they form a big train in race. They really do not fight one another. They have no personality. At the end of the race you get a sequence of cars, each 1 second apart from the other. Its pretty boring.
    They are better now, but it still falls with what you are racing. With Group 5 they are often still all over the place, while in GT they are much much better.

10. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    That is the very opposite of my experience with the recently updated AI...

• Agree Agree x 7
  11. Hygge

Hygge Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    From my races I have done since the last update I think they do race each other. I had some moments where I was following a bunch of cars and had a grin on my face when there were 3 cars side by side fighting into the corner. And from what Crew Chief is reporting the races seem to switch leader pretty often. I think AC (even if they made a huge step with the ai as well) has more problems with static races.

The main thing with the ai in Racerrom that I hope they can improve is that they brake too early in som corners. I noticed this on the back straight of Sepang braking into the last corner and at Hockenheim braking into the hairpin after the long straight. Even if I set the ai to the limit of my capability it is always too easy to outbrake them in certain corners which brakes the immersion a bit when the racing now is so fantastic otherwise. I understand that finding a good balance is hard and I prefer this to the previous ai when more or less every race was ruined by a far too optimistic ai that would ram you from behind but I hope this could be tweked a little bit further.

But apart from that I'm so much enjoying SP races at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mike R

Mike R Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Well for my RaceRoom has the best AI of all the simulators I've tried. It's not perfect, but it's very very good

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. The AI behaves in a natural, realistic way, and is quite predictable and comfortable to race against. In essence, R3E's AI rarely does anything stupid. If anything, I would like the AI to be a little more fallible/unpredictable and have more spins, crashes, out-brake themselves, etc. But I guess there's a fine line between AI making realistic mistakes and being annoying. Also I'd love to see mechanical failures and retirements to add more incident to single player racing.

So while the AI is very competent and steady, my only criticism is races lack character due to the absence of the things mentioned above. Doesn't stop me enjoying single player racing, though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Onaflyer

Onaflyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom easily has the best AI.

It's not even close, sometimes they will race you harder and smarter than a real person.

I do wish they would brake a bit later sometimes but not always like other Sims.

15. Jusek

Jusek Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I raced AI at Zandvoort yesterday with NSU and two AI cars rolled over behind me at the same corner. Had a good laugh. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    SERIOUSLY!?! Most people who make that claim have usually over rated their own skills. And have set the AI way too high for themselves.

17. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I think R3E has some of the best, if not the best AI for me. The Ai generally drives well while being fairly clean. After S3 added the stress factor where you can preassure the AI until they let go, that really made the AI much better for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree. I've had a couple of the most intense and immersive races since the latest update. The AI really fight for position without punting me of the track very often at all I was worried the this update would take the teeth out of them. But that's not the case at all for me I've had battles for position last 2 or 3 laps with one car. Both of retaking positions back and forth. Getting he AI strength level is critical to having good races n

19. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Wipe my nose like that and I would have taken you out also, if you want to weave your way through AI without a challenge then I guess you're right to go to AC or Rf2 but if you want an AI to fight back, not give an inch and punish idiotic dive bombs then RR is your man!
    Pop onto an open server and try a move like that, you'll get exactly the same result, learn to drive, then learn to complain, then pop back! ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely Goose. You send one up the inside from way back and then can't get the nose of the car into the apex. What's the guy on the outside supposed to do? Run off the track waiting for you to turn in? Try that move online and see how it ends up

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1