Ideas And Suggestions! (features and game mechanics)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heppsan, Mar 10, 2015.

1. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yepp - but thats a thing that Arthur Spooner has explained before. If the Driver supports DX12 it is possible to run a DX12-Game even that your Hardware isn't capable to do it. Than it is in the Hands of the Devs to allow switching of DX11 or DX12 specific functions in the Graphics-Settings of the application, so that Emulation isn't needed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    But then we're not talking about running a dx11 or dx12 game on a dx9 card, then we're talking about running a game in dx9 mode that also features higher dx. Back then the games were made so they supported all modes but take AC as one example of many modern games that don't allow this downward compatibility.

3. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    You cannot hold back the future, you can pick up dx11 cards for peanuts worldwide, hardware upgrades are an inevitability of the PC genre, end of, if you don't keep up you lose out, has been like that from the very beginning, it's how the whole financial structure of the hardware industry revolves. Those that can afford it buy the latest gear and 3 months later there's something newer, faster and sexier. If all game publishers held off upgrading we'd all still be playing pac-man. Dx11 has been around for more than five years, ( a century in PC terms) Dx12 is out (early days) and is predicted to offer huge performance boosts, even in older games.
    Would be interested to know how many Dx11 cards are in drawers/boxes/lofts, personally I've owned 5 Dx11 cards and they've all been recycled, my main PC only uses a 7 series Nvidia card (Time for an upgrade me thinks) so I am not one of the must have the latest gear types (would if I could though) but I'm sure as hell not gonna complain when they can do something I can't. A vast amount of casual PC users still buy complete systems as an upgrade and if you're not familiar with the inside of a PC case then it can seem daunting but one of my dogs could remove a video card and replace it with another, involves a couple screws and the old interweb is full of HD video's showing you if a screwdriver is that terrifying. If 70% of users are already using Dx11 ( positive it is far more than that for driving sims) then I'm afraid, like it or not its time to move on, you can scream and shout as much as you like but its gonna happen and the sooner the better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    +1
    Okay, this discussion has been going a few pages now.
    If someone wants to continue this please do so in a new thread.
    Time to take this back on topic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Nigel Fox

Nigel Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I agree. S3 is gonna do what they gonna do in this regard. I sincerely doubt they're clueless about DX11 and 12. Maybe it could work into the Win10 thread or its own.

Anyway, let me be the first to bring up an interesting discovery I made. Thinking I might be able to drive with a satisfactory cockpit view - I usually don't like them because I find the view unrealistic - I assigned some keys to control seat movement and began playing with it. But it was so flexible, I wondered how high it would go. Well, it turns out as I held the height adjustment down that it would go all the way through the roof, and above!

So I discovered that I have an impromptu roof cam! :D It's not the same thing, but it's close enough! And I can locate it forward or back to a fair extent. The only worry I had was that in replays, I would see the driver head and shoulder above the roof, but fortunately, replays were normal, whew! I found that a track I once disliked, Zolder, was a joy to race on.

And this prompted me to not just go adjust each car I raced for it, but to post again about my desires for S3 to make a proper roof cam, as well as make all views adjustable. I doubt it would take all that much work to enhance the cockpit cam code and apply it to all the other views. It would work like this:
    • View: Bumper, Cockpit, Roof, Chase
    • Adjust height: up/down
    • Adjust center: left/right
    • Adjust depth: forward/back
    • Adjust aim: up/down, left/right
    • Adjust sway: fixed to car or drift amount
    • Adjust camera shake amount
    Something like this was almost in the other games, in which you could adjust chase cam closeness for example. This system would allow everyone to have the perfect view to suit them. Suppose you wanted a hood cam. Choose Bumper view. Adjust depth back to where you want. Adjust height to suit. Adjust aim to suit. Keep camera fixed to car. Give some shake to add a sense of connection to the car. There you go.

I could be wrong, but something like this shouldn't be all that much work to implement, and I'd send them all exotic coffees and teas. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Well you can use the roof cam by pressing the 'home' key on your keyboard. You will cycle through the secondary camera set (front wheel cam, rear wheel cam, roof/door cam). That way you can use the roof cam on most cars but it has two problems. First one being that you can not look left and right with this camera and secondly the roof cam is not placed on the roof on all cars, some cars have this camera placed on the door.

So yeah I agree, a real roof cam that's included in the primary camera cycle would be nice indeed and also better/more options to move the on board (and other) camera's around would be nice without messing with the raw camera files.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Of course it's generic. I only wanted to state that there is an official DX12-compatible driver for the 300M series. So @shardshunt don't need to worry about it.

And of course emulation makes no sense. An already outdated hardware is just not capable to do any fancy new functionality in software.

8. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. mrSweSin

mrSweSin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
  10. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    /\ Well..... that seems like a waste of tyres!

So my #1 'want' in terms of features is the inclusion of some method of deselecting certain cars or liveries, in order to make custom grids out of the superb new liveries that are coming out.

Now I don't really mind how this is done, and would be perfectly fine with an external program to allow some VEH files (or the modern equivilent) to be disabled, but I thought I'd have a go at theorising how it would work in my head, in the ideal world.

So, what would be ideal for me would be to create three levels of 'priority'. Assuming it sticks closely to the gMotor history, each livery will have its own base car file, so modifying it by individual entrant should theoretically be possible. So the three levels would be as follows:

Priority 1 / Green / Lock - This would be a car that will always be included in the grid, provided there are enough spaces available. If there are fewer spots available than Pri1 cars, then the game would randomly assign slots solely between these.

Priority 2 / Yellow / Open Lock - This would be a car that would be included on the condition that there are fewer Pri1 cars than available spaces on the grid. For example, if there were 20 grid spaces, 15 Pri1 cars and 10 Pri2 cars then the 15 Pri1 cars would always be included and the remaining 5 spaces would be randomly filled with Pri2 liveries.

Priority 3 / Red / Unlocked - This would be for cars that should not be included at all and will not be loaded under any circumstances. If there are more grid spots available than Priority 1 and Priority 2 cars combined, then any remaining spots would be filled with duplicates from already selected cars.

Does that make sense?

I'm no UI designer and this could be done on something similar to the current selection screen or on a separate list, but thought I should visualise the sort of thing that I'm talking about, so here's my quick sketch:

[​IMG]

So, in something like the above, if 3 grid spots were available, the first two would be taken by the #10 and #2 liveries, and the remaining one would be randomly assigned from #22 and #88. #23 would be unavailable (despite being an awesome livery!).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I can't find it now, but if I'm not mistaken.
    I think I saw some dev write in a thread that it will be possible to make custom grids with the multi class implementation? (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I would like to see something similar to the track selection menu for custom championships, but for the cars.
    If we decide to make a custom championship with custom grids.
    But would also like to have the option to just start a championship with random grid as it is now if I don't have the time to pick every livery.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  12. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    I have a suggestion that I would love to see implemented ASAP. I haven't read the whole thread so if it's been discussed prior, sorry my bad!
    FIX the "CUT TRACK PENALTY" rule, Please.
    I personally hate, yes hate, the "lap invalid due to cutting the cut track" (however it's worded) penalty. It's frustrating as hell, and nothing about it cries SIMULATION to me, I have never heard or seen in my 30+ years of watching motorsport this type of penalty, so why the hell do we have to put up with it in RRE, DTM etc?
    The Fact that you get penalised just for getting 2 wheels of the bitumen for a period of 5 seconds or more after a rough corner exit, or have a heated battle with the AI and need a little more room than there is bitumen, is laughable. These types of driver errors happen hundreds of times a weekend worldwide in all categories from Karts to F1, and when they do get offline or in the dirt, 9 times out of 10 they need to back off the loud pedal to get the car back on the black stuff safely, so they suffer a time penalty due to the error. They don't get their lap time wiped from the leader board, so why should we?

Sure, if you actually cut an apex or a section of track that gives a distinct advantage, then a penalty is warranted and I'm all for it, but not a penalty that loses your laptime, maybe a slowdown penalty for 3 to 5 seconds would present a more life like outcome, or even a 3 strikes (corner cuts) and your hit with a drive through. Even having it so we can turn penalties on or off in practice mode would be better in my book. I really do hate the loose parameters that make up the "cut track penalty" S3S, in fact I find it very very ARCADISH.

Sorry if others disagree with me, but I am right in that this penalty doesn't exist in reality.......anywhere!

Cheers :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  13. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Erm, several people got their laps removed from Spa 24 Hours qualifying because of 'abusing track limits', and several more throughout the race and first qualifying sessions. Silverstone WEC was the same deal and Paul Ricard is infamous for it at Signes.

It might be overly strict slightly, but it's fair enough and stops cheaters ruining the online leaderboards. It would be nice to make it a bit less intrusive on the HUD for minor (non-penalty) indiscretions though.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    depends what the track is really irl.
    formula 1 british gt many laps were deleted and at the spa 24 hour as well. it doesn't exist in Australian Motorsport because au tracks don't have large run off zones.

another point is that in sims grass and sand is never as dangerous as it is irl you can easly put a wheel off without losing much time.

Id personally like this to change but while more and more tracks are being wreaked by adding huge runoffs and pussy flat curbs i don't see it happening. I expect in the coming years of motorsport this to become more common irl

• Like Like x 1
  15. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    If I'm out off the track limits I don't mind a warning and get that lap removed.
    And I use the Crew Chief, so I have all Hud overlays of. :)

Beside mandatory pit stops and AI control disabled in the pits.
    Harcher gravel traps with a big risk of getting damage to the car or getting stuck, is something I would really like to see implemented asap!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

Huh, I'm curious to know what kind of motorsport your watching all this years.... Invalide lap time for of track is pretty common in every track based motorsport, From Formula 1 to 2CV race (yes Citroen 2CV, you read it right).
    But maybe are juste watching them on TV.. it's not the kind of information TV might give you ;) .

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Yeah you saw a lot of laps invalidated during the Red Bull Ring GP Q-sessions so it is a thing in real life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  18. Nigel Fox

Nigel Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that. I intend to check this out when I can begin another round of racing.

This begs the question, has anyone thought of making a wiki sticky until S3 produces a manual? It has been mentioned more than once that there are a lot of hidden features that many don't know about, and being brand new to RR, I'm just getting acquainted with the feature set.

By the way, I see this hasn't been mentioned for a couple of pages: livery packs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  19. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Now that's a very good idea

20. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    yepp - really a good Idea... shouldn't be only a Sticky, but a wiki-section beside the forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1