Ideas And Suggestions! (features and game mechanics)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heppsan, Mar 10, 2015.

1. AMarkham40

AMarkham40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Would be interesting if you could have an AI driver team with you in ADAC in single player mode. Have it where you choose weather you want to run the first or second half of the race. Would be fun!

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    That could be extremely frustrating... but also quite entertaining. ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Sixx

Sixx Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    The game should automatically adjust HUD info screen placement when set to widescreen/triple display resolutions. Or make the screen placement customizable like Assetto Corsa. It is very frustrating seeing the individual lap results on the left side of my center screen when I'm turning left. As it is now it pretty much blocks quite a bit of my view as I look into the apex of the turn. This info should be on the far left of my left display or displayed across the top in a linear format.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Can I suggest using the adaptive AI, I found them to be a real challenge. I'm doing a DTM14 championship and the AI were 1/2 a second behind in practice, but gained on my time in qualifying, I still had poll-position by 1 tenth, but the race was a bit more work than I thought. The AI were very strong and challenge for the lead a several times before I managed to pull out a 1/2 second gap, was fun and hard sweaty work.
    My 2nd race was even harder, was outdone for poll by 3 tenths and ended 3rd on the grid, had to work really hard to stay up front, and after a tough, sweaty 18lap battle I finished where I started.
    So give the adaptive a go, you'll be surprised.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    I run triple 32" tv screens and all the lap time info appears across the top of my middle screen.
    But recently I discovered Mr Belowski's "Crew Chief" App, I am amazed at what he has achieved, his latest version is just incredible. I only have the track map onscreen in practice now, in races I have nothing as my crew chief keeps me informed of my position, tyre condition and gap to my opposition, you can even set it up to be voice activated, just like talking to a real crew chief, but I haven't gone that far.....yet :)
    Heres a link https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...-controls-and-even-launches-r3e-for-you.2516/

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I think I and others mentioned it before, but I must repeat it, because yesterday I did two 30 min.-races and in both races in the DTM environment I had a high number of events when I turned into a turn, and collided with cars there that I simply were no aware of and could not see.

There are no spotter callouts like in Nascar 2003. There is no ultra-wide rear mirror like in iRacing. There is no rotating red arrow in the screen centre that show the relative bearing to any car that is close and and in danger of colliding with you if you torn into its direction, like in Assetto Corsa. There is no tool like the Helicorsa app somebody did in AC that provides a downlook on the player'S car. There is nothing.

That is no realistic. Sounds paradox? It isn't. This is a sim running in a PC environment. The sensual perception in front of a PC, even a multi-screen layout, is incredibly limited, compared to reality. To use "tricks" to somewhat compensate for these deficits, is not cheating or immersion killing, but adds to the realism in that it helps to provide you with a better situational awareness.

Its my probably biggest issue with the game. And I think it is a deficit that big that it really needs an urgent adressing. A combination of spotter callouts with AC's rotating red arrow that moves around the centre of view is what I would prefer. Both systems work very well - the spotter callout used by Nascar 2003 and now iRacing works excellent since over twelve years. There is a reason why it was not given up by the developers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Try the excellent Crew chief, keeps you well informed of all around, also enables to clear screen of most if not all your HUD.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I drive on a 19" screen with 1280x1024 resolution and have no issues with situational awareness. I find arrows like in AC or a spotter very arcadish and something that should be left to games like NFS. For oval racing it's a different thing with the spotter, but of course that doesn't apply to R3E (yet).

One can map look left/look right to buttons, which in my opinion should be the only help one should get in a racing sim as you can basically do that in real life aswell. There are also virtual mirrors in R3E, aren't there?

For me it's pretty much perfect as it is right now in R3E. There are definitely other features which need the attention of the devs much more.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Agree with @Sebbl - virtual mirror plus look left/right/rear mapped to the controller works well for me.

It's a great app but not a solution that will suit everybody. I stopped using it as it conveys far more information than I need from a spotter.

10. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Tell me which events you want to disable and I'll add options to turn em off :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I absolutely love the @mr_belowski app, cause I don't need the blocking hud overlays anymore!! :)
    But I have never had any trouble with my awareness in R3E, even before the spotter app.
    And I'm on a 17.3" screen.. . Practise gives skill! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    As far as I'm aware spotters are only NASCAR as you stated, the ultra-wide mirror in iRacing is not a feature of many, if any, of the cars in RRE, so I would say S3S don't favor using such affects if there not a component of the real race car, which keeps them realistic.
    As far as Assetto Corsa's opponent position arrow is concerned, I refuse to use it as it's not something you have in reality, I try to emulate the real world as much as possible, I don't run huds etc, just the cars gauges and Mr Belowski's "Crew Chief", because we only have those things in real racing, and that's what I'm trying to simulate.

Maybe it's something Ive learned to do over many years of real world driving (32yrs), maybe it's how often I glance my mirrors, but I'm always aware of where my opponents are, regardless of whether I'm stuck in the pack, being challenged for position in a online race, or just doing laps with the AI. Sure there have been times when Ive missed seeing someone and they have surprised me, but that's no different to real racing.

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I usually don't use huds, but in multiplayer I find the timer hud on the top of the screen to be helpful.
    Especially when exiting the pits or after a spin, so you can see how far away the next car/cars are before entering/reentering the track.
    And also noticing if someone is closing in on you.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Some seem to have not gotten correctly what I mentioned about the PC environment being so reducing for players' perception and situational awareness that helping via an app or tool or feature (could be optional to fit all tastes) is neither "arcadish" nor unrealistic (=reducing realism), but in effect increases realism.

For the same reason, in Assetto Corsa they have now added the feature for server setups that the use of the additional virtual mirror can be enforced by the server owner, leaving players no other choice than to have it on. And if you know about the usual conditions of open server racing, that makes an awesome lot of sense.

This is not about trying to increase arcade elements, but about increasing realism. And situational awareness is amongst the top items of the list that defines what realism is. Nobody with a sane mind would dare to sit in and drive a real car at real world racing speeds in a pack of competitors if his situational awareness would be as reduced as it normally is when sitting in front of just a screen and only having that tunnelview to the front that it provides.

A PC simulation reduces reality and realism, necessarily. What helps to counter that reduction and its subsequent side effects (which never are good), should not be thrown out of the window so easily.

But okay, I made my point, no need to start a fight here... :)

15. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I have posted this idea before but I'll opt into this discussion again. I had the idea to add 2 leds to the mirror that flash green when a driver is near and red when a driver is directly next to you. I've made a video to show how this would look. No crazy big arrows blocking your view, just 2 small leds you can see from the corner of your eyes.

Yes, I know. Those shifts, my god. :p

• Creative x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  16. Nigel Fox

Nigel Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    The problem with assigning buttons is that with many racing wheels except the most expensive/latest, this is either inconvenient or impossible. And not everyone likes to drive from in the cockpit, like me. I see no reason for aids to racing be considered in a video game, especially one which offers floating HUDs and virtual mirrors. Which last I checked, don't exist in real life. ;)

17. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Well those aids are not supposed to be 100% realistic but to compensate for things you can not implement in a virtual experience. It's the same as FFB. In real life you won't feel most of the things you feel in a sim trough a FFB wheel. But the FFB is not meant to just replicate the steering feel. It's also designed to compensate for loss of other things like g forces etc. Just like an aid like arrows or a spotter wouldn't be realistic in itself, but it would compensate for lack of control of your view and such.

But hey, that's the great thing about options. If you need the help you can enable the options. If you're using triple screens and you are confident about your surroundings you just switch it off. :)

18. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I guess some people overestimate the view from inside a modern racecar. It's nothing like the view from a road car. You wear a helmet and modern racing seats have head protection pads on the sides. From this view you can hardly see the side mirrors I guess... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Additionally the seat is mounted very low to have a better center of gravity. I don't think you can see very much from this position.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Man I hate silly things like this in ac. you cant run your own liveries, your forced to have assists on if the server owner wants ruins multiplayer for me. I'm fine with options but don't force people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Regarding server owners, it is simple - "my house - my rules". Do your own server if you do not like other people's servers and their rules. ;)

Enforcing improvements to situational awareness by making the use of the virtual mirror mandatory, is of benefit for all MP participants. Especially for those who else might have gotten shot off the track with the shooter maybe even not wanting to do any harm, not even suffering from lacking skill - but from simply not having seen the other. Thats why mirrors in real cars are mandatory as well and are not left open for free choice by the car owner.

On general game options and in SP I would agree though. Leave things optional, so that players can choose.

This video shows the helicorsa app, a privately done mod. Best set it up not in the corner of the screen as I first did (big mistake, I did not like it and deinstalled the app at first), but put it where yo can see in the video when going to second 0:53, which illustrates best the visual appearance. It is quite unobstrusive and independent from camera perspective you play from. The colour-blinking corresponds to Flavourlicious' idea about the markers in the mirror.

Go to second 0:53.

The nice thing is that it fades in and out automatically, and fades out if the car in front is entering the frontal sight of player's car.

• Like Like x 2