Every Sim Racer needs to read this !

Dieses Thema im Forum "General Discussion" wurde erstellt von matteman, 23. Oktober 2015.

1. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  2. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1.056 / 0 / -0
    I know a few of those people, On RD or steam and even go on VirtuaR or Bsimracing, All the same person even rear its ugly head here too. I hope they will read this and realized how stupid it is.

Good read. Thanks @matteman

• Agree Agree x 5
    Zuletzt bearbeitet: 24. Oktober 2015
  3. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Heck, I play em all and enjoy em all. I was pretty anti Project Cars till a lot of the bugs got fixed, but now that the AI is better, I even have a good time with PCars and have even bought the DLC for it. We all have our favorites, but each of these companies works hard to give us an experience, and I see no need to put down one sim for the purpose of building up another one.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Good find!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Superb post

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    We're really living in a golden age of simracing. It's just great, what improvement was in the last year.
    Raceroom, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Dirt Rally and even F1 2015.

Today I just did a race in Raceroom with the new DTM 2015 at the Norisring. Just great.
    Then I did a little race in Assetto Corsa with the new Audi R8 Ultra at the Nordschleife. Fantastic.
    After that I had to do my daily stage in Dirt Rally. It makes so much fun.
    Tomorrow I will do a race with F1 2015 at the Circuits of the Americas, where the real Formula 1 is this weekend. F1 2015 has now a really good AI and gives me a perfect F1 feeling.
    And if I have enough time after that, maybe I will start a short night race with rain and storm at Hockenheim to enjoy the fantastic graphics of Project cars.

Of course every game has still bugs and features, that are missing, but all of them are so much fun to drive.
    What the hell some people are complaining about ???

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic article, I too buy them all and enjoy them all. I hope all the developers are successful as it's in our (virtual racing enthusiasts) best interest.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    Good writing. It sometimes amazes me how some (many) members of the sim community behave. After all, I consider this niche to be filled with older than average gamer members, but sometimes they seem like 12 year old a-holes. What the heck!? These are pieces of software after all. Everyone can invest their time and money to a product they prefer and that's it. If you don't like some product, don't use it and why even bother.

There is also another point to all this. Sim racing market is now oversaturated and there is for certain competition between titles. These aren't Call of Duties which sell several millions on release week no matter how shitty the release is. I think that is also the reason why some devs are nowadays pushing the titles to consoles to widen the market. At the same time, pretty much all the available modern titles have missing features or otherwise and people do criticize them, which is totally OK and understandable. Childish bashing is another thing, but fanboy mentalism, where problems are played down by some members is also stupid. It comes a real problem, when devs are doing that. This has happened already and is happening.

All in all, childlike behaviour where "my father is stronger than yours" is stupid and won't bring anything to the table. Fanboyish dilution of problems by the community is even worse and devs operating that way by banning criticizing people or white washing issues, is the worst. I'm happy that R3E community and above all devs are just the opposite.

I've heard that "golden age of sim racing" before, but I must say I'm not quite certain of the claim. Sure, we have now several titles which are unsurpassed on technical aspects. That is also something that is just evolution which has happened on every single type of game there is, no matter if it is FPS, grand strategy or flight sim title. At the same time, I sometimes wonder how complete titles we got back in the day in the 90's and early 2000's. Even some console releases like Dirt to Daytona were and still are amazing achievements by really small studios. Papyrus and Geoff Crammond or more recent SimBin titles are another examples on PC. Now we have bunch of promising titles, each having their strong points, but they are also missing some or even most of game features and still they are sold for hard customer currency as a full release title. As a customer I don't see that an optimal situation.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I made the golden era claim myself repeateldy, here and at Kunos. I think the author means the same what I am after: that we have an incredibly saturated sim environment currently that is more dense in quality and quantity than ever before - and I play since Amiga times in the mid-80s. I cannot remember that there ever have been so many high quality racing titles released in so short time, and then get supported with ongoing streams of as good addons and upgrades and DLCs. The quantity is overwhelming, and the quality is impressive.I said it before somewhere: I am right now guilty of necessarily underplaying AC and R3E and Dirt, since the day has only 24 hours. I would thus not embark on another race sim if it would be released right now and would be as good as Raceroom or Assetto. Simply no time for that. And I like to not just scratch the surface of a good sim: if I like one, then I stay with it for long time, and dive deeper into it.

I occasionally, if a conversation is opportune, mention which sims I do not like, but I leave it to that then, do not bash, beat and kick on. The comparison that I sometimes do, is between two sims that I both love very much. Hoggish smart azz that I am, I refuse to chose, but play both. ;)

I took the freedom to re-link the article in Kunos forum as well, and why not, since the article is addressing the racing genre in general, not just one title or studio. The reaction there is surprisingly different than here. Many people ridicule, mock and complain about the article there. I know that there are quite some reasonable people at their forum too, but they have chosen mostly not to comment in that thread (at least so far), in fact are more and more rarely to be met since some time. Some weeks ago one member, who frequently seems to communicate with Kuno's chief Stefano personally, indicated that the man currently also is quite pissed by some of the garbage being thrown up time and again. Compared to that - there it is again: comparison :) - the atmosphere here in this place is more relaxed, laid back, calmer, though maybe a bit more life and higher visitor numbers would not hurt.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Agree Skybird, it's why I largely post here and rarely on other forums. There's a group of great folks on here (some knuckleheads, but you have that anywhere) who can debate and discuss for the most part without making things personal. The whole "my sim is better than your sim" rarely happens here. I've yet to see anyone from S3S pull a Lord Kunos/Ian Bell and ridicule anyone and short of spamming, has there been a banning on this forum?

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I know for sure that the good Lord Kunos now swings a mightily huge ban-hammer over there. LOL Got almost accidentally hit by it myself recently when he ran into my German sense of black humour and took it literally, obviously.

But then you know what they say: Germans, and humour...

:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I feel that Lord Kunos is becoming a bit too much like his SMS counterpart.

13. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    No wonder if living year after year together with THAT cat...
    [​IMG]

14. David_Wright

David_Wright Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I don't think Ian's British sense of humour is always understood by non Brits. As a fellow Brit I enjoy his posts for their humour and their bluntness, though wish he'd focus more on the positive posts and leave the trolls to the moderators. I can also fully understand Stefano's similar reaction on the AC forums.

I think its great that the head of the studios post at all in public forums - most don't. When they do post I don't want some PR speak; tell it like it is and if posters are rude then a bit of rudeness back is fair in my book. And we have to appreciate we are moving away from privately run public forums like the old RSC or NoGrip to developer run forums. There was always criticism of bans at RSC and NoGrip and its no surprise there is criticism of bans at developer-run forums.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    The last "invisible war" I took part in was the old Nintendo/Sega war in the late 80s/early 90s but in my defense I was 12. This "there can be only one" mentality is silly when there are so many sim options these days each with different strengths. Why not enjoy as many as you can.

It is interesting to see the different responses to this article between forums. Perhaps the rough start and evolution of Raceroom acted as some kind of filter where only the more open minded people remain.

@Skybird - apparently there is a zero tolerance policy with regards to biting over on the AC forums...o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Yes, the good Lord Kunos does not want me to run around biting people.

However he did not left a word on stabbing, poisoning, shooting, and German Volksmusik, so I still feel comfortable with my options left.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Personally I like the message that the article gives. But I don't think we're at the golden age of simracing yet. The potential for it is definitely here but there's a reason why most simracers still keep either rF1, GTL, GTR2, NR2003 or even GPL installed.

I can definitely see the massive strides made in certain areas by all the "next-gen" sims and I am glad for that, however I am not blind to the fact that every one of these sims, more or less, took a backward step in other areas. In my opinion, the criticism of these things, like lack of features that were present 10 years ago or subpar AI is well warranted.

I will applaud the guys from Sector3 because they've been very open to constructive criticism, they're listening to this great community and seem to be constantly making progress, and I believe that it's because of this the R3E community is the way it is. Likewise, the sometimes arrogant behavior by some of the other devs have helped create this backlash from certain users we keep seeing around other forums and newssites on one side and the incredibly devoted "fanboys" on the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yatzeck

Yatzeck Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    In many fields of life we have an dualism, but in the racing games we have realy golden era. For now I see no real leader. In every game there are some of shortcomings. But in the racing world there are a few rules, racers needs: emotions, danger, real pulse, clear fight and ability to show its uniqueness . If the game don't have this values it must go back down... So we have a better and worse games. Some of them I don't like, some I love. At the end - something for everyone. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sean Lander

Sean Lander Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    While I really like many of these sims I'd be delighted if we got a game that had:
    1. The track and car list of R3E.
    2. The Physics and Graphics of Assetto Corsa
    3. The Single/Multi Player Modes, Pit Stops and Weather from Project CARS.

Now THAT would be Golden. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    not the weather from pcars the weather from f1 2015... the only game with developing dry lines. pcars weather is like gtr2's just it changes more.

• Agree Agree x 1