Every Sim Racer needs to read this !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matteman, Oct 23, 2015.

1. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    And...
    4. The beautiful noises from S3.;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Backmarker

Backmarker Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    and don't forget Tim Wheatley attacking people who complain about rF2 in public forums! craziness by developers does not make their sim more endearing! haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Backmarker

Backmarker Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    haha! Tim Wheatley/Kunos/Ian Bell are under a lot of pressure and can lead them to lashing out. I can't say I've seen anyone here at S3 do that. Who is in charge here and 'the face of S3.?'

4. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    @J-F Chardon is the "face". its easy for him to not lash out tho its only a game he picked up "charge" over recently. although in a sense raceroom is in charge.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Backmarker

Backmarker Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    good for him! I think Jay Ekkel (now gone) and iRacing staff are the two most professional in terms of public interaction.
    imho,ymmv
    : )

6. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I think it is more like J-F Chardon just "disappear" once someone started to spew trash. S3 knows when to appear and when not to.

Ian Bell made that mistake in the past but now, he also rarely posts on the forums other than crucial information. While Stefano, I think he should just ignore the trolls.

7. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
  8. Nigel Fox

Nigel Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I find this subject interesting, as I just today posted quite a rant about the people infesting the GT Planet boards, a number of which find it some sort of duty to make trouble with anyone who wants to enjoy the good points of Gran Turismo. In particular, I posted about how the cream of the crop of current racing games are all works in progress, or not quite the game that it was advertised to be such as with P CARS. The point being that in essence there was no magic racer that did everything right and was the one racer to rule them all. They all had issues, did some things marvelously, some things were naff or downright AARGH! in all of them. And so, pretending that Gran Turismo was little more than dog breakfast while everything else was nigh perfect was just a bit hypocritical.

RAVSIM pretty much nailed the attitude of the internets as unbridled brat-ism, which began with the SNES/Genesis, Mario/Sonic wars, and never really ended, it just spawned infinite fronts as kids learned that the way you debate online is to flame unmercifully and demoralize with FUD. Rather sad.

I might come close to this at times here, but I don't mean to. Some of my lofty prose can seem in hindsight to be arrogant if read a certain way, and trying to be cute or making critiques can seem condescending. Everything I say here is meant to praise or improve - and sometimes lobby for features, but that's part of human nature. We all want the world to conform to our will, after all, as we're the center of the universe. ;)

So hopefully I'm more diplomat than insurgent, Jimmy Fallon than Dennis Leary. This is about the best sim racing community I've ever seen, and hopefully, my contributions tip towards the positive here. Except I will say that Project CARS is a good sim, not a great one. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yatzeck

Yatzeck Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    IMHO when we eat packed soup, we my say that it is close to real cooking soup when we know its taste. About sim racing I can believe in opinion of this people which I can suspect that they ever drive a racing car in the race circumstances (and when they are independent of courseo_O). But the game, above all, must be a fun. What a fun you have when you drive uncompetitive car?... When you don't have a thrill of promise to win? Best racing games must unite this two factors: reality and fun. But who want more reality or more fun - love different games. Sometimes I love GRID-like games, sometimes R3E-like :D. As I said, all this IMHO. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  10. Cheeseman

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    The click bait site had been posting terrible articles, not sure why you want to post it here. It is written to drive clicks to their site than providing anything useful as whatever they write are schizophrenic and biased.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    lol. So now we are going to do exactly what the artical is talking about but with news sites. "My news site is better than yours".:p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Cheeseman

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I did not say that.

I am saying that site had been proven to be unreliable because the authors could not make a stand. One moment this game is great while the next moment, it isnt. In the mean time, that site is one of the main contributors to all these "my sim is better than yours" nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Not really. they just say all sims are terrible while continuing to play them and enjoy them. they groan about every one they play and make reference to the good old days of sims which they no longer play. Its all most like its run completely by Aussies:p.

They don't have a favorite as such and just attack everyone, you can not enjoy that attitude if you want but i find it quite refreshing and about the most trustworthy way to get an opinion short of playing a demo. I never buy a game unless it has a demo i learnt that from asseto corca.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    PRC is always good for a laugh. It seems each month, they decide which game to rail on and do it relentlessly till the next one. I'll give them this, they hit all of em. R3E has gotten blasted, as has F1, Dirt Rally, NR2003, PCars, AC, SCE, rF2. The comments are far more entertaining than the articles.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    WTF ? :p

16. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    That site I have learned to treat with great caution, but that article you link has some points I would agree to.

Namely the Steam-introduction of Early Access programs. This is a culture change in the industry that indeed is a serious one, and it is not all just glory, while also not all just bad. I'm split about it. It gives a publishing chance to projects that without it maybe never would have seen the light of day (wile sometimes you wonder whether the software in question ever should have seen the light of day, but that is a different story...). But it also is fact that you now get sold products before they are completed, and that sometimes take very long time to get completed, and that is an attitude change both in producers' self-definition as well as in customers' demand and expectation that I do not really sit easy with. It violates my sense of economic base reason, and my sense of what is appropriate to do. I could not put it any better in words, not in English.

In principle, I just don't like it. Let their be sequels and prequels, if that is needed. DLC addon packs. But these endlessly long Early Access things - in principle I do not like them.

And would we accept this philosophy that easily for other kinds of products we buy? Not too many come to mind. It would not even function with most of them.

In principle, Early Access is the attempt to gain money before one has completed something that one then can sell. And I cannot help but must somehow link this to the big excess of our modern time: debt-making, easy credit, buying things on tick, living on tick, shifting debts form one credit card to the next, and financing state debts by adding ever more debts to them to service the interests. Lets everybody live by money that means nothing anymore!

Being a convinced sympathiser of the so-called Austrian school of national economics, which is in harsh contrast and opposition to all this suicidal Keynesian madness going on all around, this - all and the concept of Early Access - just violates my sense of business reason and serious businessmanship on a very profound and basic level. In German, there is this term and the idea of the so-called "ehrbarer Kaufmann". This stands for a specific understanding of doing business, and transparency, solidity, honesty and honour have something to do with it. You will not find these ehrbare Kaufmänner at Wallstreet, or in papermoney banks. I take issue with collecting money without completing first, turning the task of completing it afterwards often into a endless journey that turns the whole thing into more a subscription abonnement service, than an ownership over something compete that you have bought. That cannot be healthy for the self-understanding of an economic system as a whole. Modern alchemists (euphemistically called economists and sometimes even getting prizes and awards for the destructive drivel they are babbling ) claim they can generate value from nothing. Old alchemists at least needed a handful of dirt to turn that into a nugget of gold, but even dirt is not needed for these maestros today. Of course, that is just nonsense, but like the naked emperor walks in the streets and everybody admires his new clothing, people believe it, want to believe it - else they would realise that we are stuck so deep in a big heap of poo-poo that only the tips of the hairs on our head stick out anymore. This realisation is not wanted, so everybody, from politicians over bankers to ordinary people, fight against the demand to open the eyes. Out of sight - out of mind, is the parole of the present economic system. I believe that you cannot invest on credit what before has not been saved, credit based on not existing savings, will take bloody revenge later on. There is no perpetual moving machine in physics - and there is none in the world of finances. What is being lost by Early Access philosophies, is to maintain a business over longer time, to gain a profit from it that in parts you set aside as savings - and manage your future project in a way that you can finance the development by credit that bases on such savings: may it be those of your own, or that of somebody else who leases it to you. But too much gets wanted instead prematurely, and gets pushed on weak legs, and sometimes the process even depends on incomes generated already before the product is finished, and collapses, if it does not get that.

This cannot be good, never. And that is why in principle I do not like Early Access programs. Not Assetto Corsa's Early Access, and not Raceroom's endless Beta-phase while DLCs and sequels to DLCs already get put out since two years : its just not a believable claim. To me, Raceroom is a product that simply was delivered in an erratic, unfinished state, and now needs to get repaired after selling it. I got used to it, and I like Raceroom nevertheless. As a single player, the point when I will consider it to be feature-complete, will be reached with implementation of pitstops in SP, and the further tuning of the AI: then the state of the program will be such that imo it could be considered to release it for sale. That that was done already three years ago, is beyond me.

The business "principles" behind all this, I do not like one bit. I invest limited sums of money only in games. So it all seems to be on a relatively harmless level. I never would invest really serious amounts of money into something like this, say 4 digits and upwards. Not voluntarily. On a communal and state level of things, we practically are all forced to live on ever increasing debts even if we want not to - we would get legally sanctioned if we do not follow the party and the mob, we cannot escape the system. But as a famous author once said: one can try to ignore reality, but one cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Steam Early Access - if thinking about it, it is just a symptom of something going much deeper. ;) Hope you felt a bit entertained at least by my excursus. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  18. bakayoyo

bakayoyo Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion it is just a small percentage of any community that lacks the skills to make their point in a non-offensive way. Unfortunately their negativity usually stands out like a sore thumb. In spite of their minority view they attract a disproportionate amount of attention by their outrageous slanderous way of communication. The offense it causes is often met with hostility that further obscures the underlying issues and obstructs constructive discussion.

These people exist and they aren't going to change their ways. In fact it is inevitable that growth of a community comes with an increase in the number of members that show this aggressive behavior. From what I've observed in other communities this can only be countered with tougher moderation of the community.

This can lead to claims of censorship but it's not about shutting down discussion of issues people have. It's about giving everyone a reasonable chance to take part in discussions without having to resort to aggressive use of language or pointlessly starting new threads to sound off a personal opinion instead of joining into an existing constructive discussion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I try to remember these wise words when I feel my blood pressure rising:

Wer im Zustand einer Emotion entscheiden zu können glaubt, irrt. Er wird entschieden.
    ( He who thinks he can decide in a state of emotional arousal, is wrong. He gets decided. )

• Like Like x 2
  20. Cheeseman

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    They are just a clickbait site that has zero integrity while kept spreading a lot of false information around. More importantly, they are the very people to contributed a lot into the fanboy wars. AC fanboys will use their pcars articles to look down on pcars then rfactor fanboys will use their AC articles to down play AC players. Why should I even give them clicks?

They do have favorite game from time to time where they will use it as a basis to attack other games, like they used to like AC because it makes it a perfect weapon to attack pcars when the vocal minority of AC players somehow felt threaten by the presence of that game. Then, after a while, they moved on to rfactor 2 to attack on AC's short comings. Eventually, they will attack on R3E when they find something ridiculous to complain about.

I stayed in Aussie for years and Aussies arent like that. I had spoke to PRC in numerous occasions on different forums, PRC is ran by a bunch of man child. Extremely pessimistic people who prefer to look at things in an extremely negative point of view that everything is terrible. Is that the racing community you want to see? An extremely cynical and pessimistic one that would probably scare away new players more and downplay developer's effort in developing their games. No game out there is perfect to begin with because every developer has it's own different priorities.

You are just as guilable to believe their nonsense about Assetto Corsa. AC is a great game in different ways from R3E which every gamer should own it.

I dont enjoy it because they are the people who are constantly fanning the flames between all these fanboy wars.

• Agree Agree x 3