Released Nordschleife

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by KW Studios, May 31, 2015.

1. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I can't remember who said this, but i'm totally agree with him. You don't need any setup if you haven't reached limit of the default setup, because not setup is make your best lap, but you yourself

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    And before anybody questions the realism of those lines

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    The default setup is just a generic starting point which ideally (depending who made it) should be calm & smooth to drive. The idea of reaching the limit of the default setup actually makes not much sense to me but I am open to some other understanding ir interpretation of what that means exactly.

Generally speaking I take a car for a lap with the default and key things to note are the gear lengths - am I at the rev limiter too early on the fastest straight ? If yes then I lengthen the gear ratios accordingly or the final drive ratio if gears are locked. Then I note how the car feels when cornering to adjust suspension and camber. I like a stiffer chassis / pointier car but on Nords for example you want some softness in the springs otherwise you lose traction - keeping the optimum contact point between the rubber and the road is always a priority. Your splitter and wing are then important and I see most default setups in R3E have the wing set to near max so I always back off for top end speed but not so much as to be uncontrollable. You can fine tune the camber and toe-in but best to read up on the technical aspects of that to know exactly what you are doing.

It is all a balancing act and everyone has different preferences for how they like the balance of the car to feel. While it is true that a setup made by a fast driver will not make you fast, it is also true you may find some aspects of the setup that suit your driving style and competence level. Learning how to tune the car for yourself is better than trying to drive according to the setup of another person I think but is good to look at setups that fast laps are made with. But it is always a good feeling to tune the car yourself and find yourself going quicker. At first just change one thing at a time, go for a drive and see what feels different, then change again and note the difference. It doesn't take long to learn how it all works. :)

@Christian Göpfert ~ would love to speak German to follow his commentary of the lap !
    @SargeFIN ~ Racedepartment have a number of good setup guides just do a search over there and very worth to read.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  4. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That's how I see setups too, they are there to allow us tweaking the cars behaviour according to our driving preferences.

Isn't it possible to add subtiles in youtube? Can anybody do it or does it have to be the uploader?

• Like Like x 1
  5. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Why i don't like to use setups from others ? It's because from this point you like AI driver's, trying to adapt for new settings instead improve your driving skills. Yes its complicated to do setups if you novice in this like me. But step by step you can and must to do it by yourself. Just don't change several things simultaneously (ex. camber and toe) if you don't know what you are doing.

6. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    My point is that I still wait to see a single kerb unsettling my car seriously. Or have you missed the part where I said yesterday that i reality some kerbs can be used, while other kerbs are being warned of in reality, in in some of the track manuals around the web? And it is like that in AC indeed: some you can use, some you better avoid. After having done the RR Nordschleife extensively yesterday and already the day before, I yesterday made a quick hop into AC and the Nord - and crashed three times on my first lap, getting beaten up by the kerb that I now wanted to use so carelessly, and with crahsing being something that usually does not happen to me there, I'm well familiar with the layout. I was too used to the driving in RR and transported that to AC - and that send me flying.

I do not say that RR should be like that just because it is AC. I say it and think that AC there is closer to what people say about the real kerbs on the real track.

Physics are different. One could also line out that before Schwedenkreuz you usually have to slightly tip on the breaks before the left swing begins, your breaking point is the change in surface tarmac that is hardly visible in RR and better visible in AC. In AC, most cars you cannot whip through that passage without leavignb the btrack and ending messed up, in reality there is a warning for that passage as well. In RR you just chase through as if there is no turn. Or the Flugplatz, after the hop over the top, when the right-right turn begins: in reality you better tip the brakes to bring weight to the front axis to have better grip when turning in, and that need you also have in AC with most fast cars. In RR: you just keep the pedal to the metal. In general, the driving on the RR Nordschlkeife is a bit easier and more forgiving, than in AC. That alone would not be valid criticism. My point here is that more points marked in reality get met by AC, then by RR. Thats why I compare to AC here.

But that is "criticising" on a very luxurious niveau already. No need to seriously fight here.

P.S. I admit that I may also still be not too used to the new tyre model v7 in AC that just got implemented, however, it makes the cars much more vivid and alive. GT3 feels almost new.

7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I agreed with you on that several times, of course you cannot cut every single curb irl. And I for one can't in RR either.
    And yet Uwe Alzen tells a different story in the vid I posted above, no braking at Schwedenkreuz or Flugplatz in a GT3 car.
    Of course there are different cars and in those you can't go flat out in RR either, but until now GT3 was what I thought you were talking about. As mentioned in that other thread, very easy to drive cars, come with ABS and TC and whatnot.

Sorry, not trying to start a fight or anything, but when there are two opinions and one of those is a pro driver accompanied by actual on-board footage pretty much contradicting the second opinion then I know who I will give more credit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mizz

mizz Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    273 km/h in der Fuchsröhre? Der Z4 geht ums Verecken nicht über 273, auch nicht mit 10er Flügel usw. Der ist im TopSpeed nicht so dolle.
    Oder schafft ihr mehr?

Gruß Andi

9. Max

Max Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ja ich schaff 278 km/h mit 5 flügel

10. mizz

mizz Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    ist der dann noch fahrbar?
    Was ist denn so der wert, den man haben sollte?
    setups sind nicht meine stärke, wie sich gerade zeigt:)

11. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    No fight needed indeed, just that pro drivers do not speak unisono the same opinion there. I recall a docu on German TV some years ago, for example, where both Schmitz and Lauda said differently about modern cars, do not recall what cars they talked of, but not the F1 of Lauda or the team Schmitz drove for in her tim, but later cars. That was a docu maybe 5 or six years ago, or a long chapter in some motor magazine, I do not recall it exactly anymore.

I mean there must be reasons why both Flugplatz and Schwedenkreuz have the reputation of that "events" :) are happening so dangerously easy there. While both are looking so harmless and are so easy to underestimate.

---------

We have the free movable camera in RR, that must be linked to a key command first, and then can be moved freely around the track via cursor keys. It is good advise to use that to travel all the track, but at a higher height (the maximum when using the camera line inside the track: you cannot have it access to trackside and track at the same time). When i did that, for the first time ever I saw and realsied the sometimes immense height differences of the track, the elevation changes, one usually does not realise that on a monitor at driver's head height). I then realised for the first time ever, what a rollercoaster the track really is, when driving the sim normally one completely misses that perception.

Also a good tip is to once run a lap in replay with the lowest bumper camera possible, centimeters above the track surface - one then realises how uneven and bumpy parts of the track really are.

Being aware of both, really helps to build a sense of appreciation if one makes it around one lap without scratching the paint on the car's body. :D

The generosity by which the team went beyond just modelling the imminent trackside and track, but the whole "location", really helps in getting an impression of the kind of elevation modulation the whole landscape offers. Changed my perception of the place (which is base don TV and sims exclusively, I never was there in reality).

12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It is a dangerous track, we've all seen that Nissan going airborn. But I guess creating a simulation always entails the need to compromise. Do you want to create a tool for pro drivers, sth that very accurately portaits the challenge of driving a race car, or do you want to create a "game", sth a broad audience can dive into and enjoy.

I'm not saying that RR has every aspect and detail spot on or that AC doesn't, they are both interpretations of the same subject.
    But from what I've seen and experienced so far (irl and in-game) I come to the conclusion that RR is pretty close to what it must be like to be a pro driving around one of the worlds most challenging tracks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  13. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    You will not read me objecting to that. ;)

14. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Don't know if you read my post, but do you use TC in R3E?
    Made a big difference for me setting TC to 0.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes yes, sometimes not. Should not make a difference to a kerb kicking your tyre, however - if the car hops, it hops, TC on or off does not matter. Only what it does after touching the ground again and contact between rubber and surface is re-established, is different. TC has no effect while being in midair.

16. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    I made a setup that the car is a bit more unstable but a bit faster. ;)

Thanks mate, I appreciate it!

17. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Can someone from fast drivers upload video with RUF GT3 ? Like it so much, but need to learn so much to ;)

18. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    It's pretty much the same line to drive as with the McLaren.

19. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    No your right, but I don't get this kick your talking about in AC either..
    The places I need to be on guard with the curbs is the outer curbs coming out from the corner, not when hitting the inside ones.
    And there the TC make a big difference.
    What car are you experiencing this with?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    But style of driving near the same or different ? Don't know how speak it english. Don't need to use rear side sliding to turn in ?