Sector3! Make a normal AI!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTDnipro, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    So to bring the analogy back to racing.
    It is all the fault of Crew Chief! :innocent:

2. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I already touched the apex of that corner and I was in front of him. my fault?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Aerial view would be more obvious, but crew chief did call out "car left" for a reason. Yet you pulled left and cut him off, where was he supposed to go? Your fault or not, certainly not a case of AI being to aggressive imho. Race incident.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Got to agree with @RoccoTTS.
    You had that coming after blocking his move on the other side of the road. When he tapped you, you were not close to the apex yet and you should have seen his move in the mirror. Blocking him again was playing with fire...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
  6. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
  7. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I agree with @fl0wf1r3 too. a human driver would have backed off and wouldn't have tried to squeeze from the left on a winding road. When he said "car on the left" it was too late I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    a race incident... happens.. also in real life.. that shows how "human" the AI is :-D not in all cases, but in many.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Pekro

Pekro Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    A few weeks ago i would have agreed, but in my opinion since the second to last update the ai is worse than it has been before.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jo_siffert

jo_siffert Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

With all respect to the developers and the tester - isnt' it the fault of the driver who is behind (Normalerweise ist der Fahrer der hinten auf den anderen Fahrer auffährt schuld da er nicht fähig war die Distanz respektive die Gefahr richtig einzuschätzen).

Even if he slowed down it is still the fault of the AI - nevermind i have to say that the AI is not the worst in case of racing - its just a bit too aggressive and don't let enough room.

Jo

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I see it differently, except for some classes where they behave like a bunch of Klaus Ludwigs, the AI leaves just enough room. But they do something some players obviously are not used to: they demand the player to leave enough room as well. Personally I do not want an AI that always backs off for the players benefit. Just like driving against humans, sometimes I have to lift to avoid unpleasant encounters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    All good in theory and for common road driving. Close racing is another thing. There is no way you can avoid contact if the driver in front is brake checking or is simply braking earlier than he is supposed (or expected). Race cars drive very often with only inches (or even less) between hem. How on earth could you avoid hitting the car in front then ? Go take a look at the front and rear bumpers after a race...that 'll tell you the story.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I see 2 things here that need to be taken into account at the same time to get a reasonable answer to this.

First, that section of the Nords isnt really a "2-wide" zone. Going 280kmh there through some kinks is quite diffiicult, followed by the heavy braking zone. A human driver that is slightly behind a leading car would not push up the inside there and try to go over the kerb. He would back off just enough to let the leading car clear him.

The AI cannot really determine what would be a legitimate passing zone like a human would. It has its racing line and wants to stick to it. When it sees a leading car off to the side of its racing line, creating a gap, the AI thinks it can sneak in there and take it. Even if it is a narrow 280kmh kink.

Secondly, the leading car in the video had a less than ideal line leading up to the incident, swerving across the track. Yes a human opponent would have likely avoided this. But knowing the AI behavior and characteristics, you cant expect to cut in front of them and block when they are making a pass. Even in a risky area that isnt really a passing zone.

So, a bit of respect needs to be given to the AI because they cannot make the same judgements we can in real time.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Pekro

Pekro Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Yes, and because of that it (the ai) has to be less aggressive.

15. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    To an extent.

If you make them less aggressive just to avoid situations like this.... they will basically never attempt to pass or race you when you are slightly ahead of them.

It really requires a fine balance between awareness and aggressiveness. Just making them less aggressive isnt the answer.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    And is terrible training for the melee combat of online racing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. morpwr

morpwr Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    To be fair that video could go either way. I probably would have chalked that up to a racing incident if that had been me. I probably shouldn't have tried to block in that case. Getting hit in the quarter panel at those speeds usually ends poorly for the lead car but if I was the rear car I wouldn't have tried to pass there either. The biggest issue I have is like others have said the ai raced a lot cleaner a couple updates ago. More like a real person that tries to keep the car in one piece. They would fight you hard but still left you room if you had a line and even retaliate if you pushed them too hard. I still remember the first time it happened. I was like wtf that guy just hit me on purpose. Thats awesome. Now they just take you out in a lot of cases even if you have a clear line. If youre up to the door they should give you room. I don't expect them to just give me the spot but at least give me some room and not just turn into me. Which maybe thats an issue too. Is it just me or does it seem the ai cars are a little too heavy when making contact? I'm not saying they are bad I'm just saying it seems they took a couple steps backwards from what I would have considered the best ai in any sim and the reason I got hooked on r3e.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    What's with all these 3 figure AI settings
    I find that you do have to adapt your driving to suit ai but that's the same across all sims. If you drive like you normally do then you will get problems. Just remember it is AI and not human so just adapt and you'll enjoy it. Anyway what do I know, I'm still just a 2 digit AI racer. I get shunted online as well so...........

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    And this is the key sentence in this thread. Reading a lot of the complaints I get the impression some (not all) people are driving against AI above their skill level. If an AI can hit me from behind, that simply means I am too slow for them, so I reduce AI. For me that means in some series I can battle the AI at 120% while in others only at 100%.

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I wonder that so much is written about the AI that should have more awareness... I watched a league/community race live stream yesterday and there were so many situations where I could tell that it would end in a bumb/crash and it did... guys missed the braking point because of pressure from behind, took another race line for the next turn, weren't aware that the driver behind wanted to grab the chance and... bam... drivers were side to side on a long straight approaching a hair pin, paint was traded, noone wanted to back down, not letting the other space to survive and...bam...
    I don't want to say that it all was on purpose, but the guys were willing to take a bumb/crash... they were racing each other. To a certain point, a point where fairness is kept up, IMO this a great thing (rubbing is racing, everyone else can watch F1...). So, the AI is racing too and I think it's doing well. If it's too aggressive or at least it's the impression for oneself , then I think you have to lower the AI. What you can never expect from AI, again IMO, is as much awareness as a human driver would/could/should have. It will try to take the slightest chance that comes up to pass you. It will back down some times, some times not. Don't expect that it will...Expect the AI to behave like a hot-blooded Tarquini, not tactical/calculating as a Muller (yes, I love WTCC)... you can only race in a pack or bumper to bumper when you know the other guys and/or you are on the the same pace... and even then with pressure and adrenaline it can end up in a mess, if you are not willing to put back from time to time. So, with AI be even more on guard (and choose the AI that fits your pace) and you will have great races with it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017