OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Did you add -vr to the properties of R3E in Steam?

2. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    otherwise it would simply launch on monitor and oculus would stay in its home menu or what its called, fireplace thing :p

3. icemanfrance

icemanfrance New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    J'ai un soucis avec les ombres sur la routes de la Nordschleife.
    les ombres apparaissent seulement ç une 20 metre de mon pare-brise. ( voir video)
    j'ai les parametres en elevés. j'ai tenté de mettre les ombres sur moyen ou faible, cela ne resoud pas le probleme.

Cela ne me le fait pas si je joue sur un moniteur

I have a problem with the shadows on the roads of the Nordschleife with Vr (oculus)
    the shadows only appear 20 meters from my windshield. (see video)
    I have the parameters in elevés. I tried to put the shadows on medium or low, it does not solve the problem.
    It does not do it to me if I play on a monitor.
    See my config pc in the signature

4. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I had the same issue... For me I found out, that the Car-Reflection-Setting has caused that shadow-behavior. After I set it from low to medium the shadow was back to normal.

Try it with your setting - even when you have medium already than move it to high and have a look if it changed anything.

5. II./JG77_Manu

II./JG77_Manu New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The world scale is just too big in Raceroom. i even changed it from the default to 1.00, but it's still to big. On 1.00 the AMG GT3 was almost as high as my shoulders (measured it within my room), while in real world it's barely as high as my bellybutton. And yes, i verified that the tyres aligned with my floor. I don't know why the default is just wrong. In AC and Pcars 2 it's spot on (also measured in "real room"). I mean, fair enough that you can change it to a realistic value in R3E, but with those abstract settings it's impossible to get it 100% right, you just can set it until it kinda "feels right" subjectively..unless someone would tell the "right" setting

6. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    What does the number at the end say with 1.00 multiplication? It says 0.067 for me. This number is the distance between your eyes and should match. My eye distance is like 66.7mm so I'm pretty spot on with the standard world scale that raceroom gives me.

When it's too big for you then use a higher multiplicator and it will get smaller, that's why this option exists.
    For many people AC world scale is too small also. It just varies from person to person.

I checked the Audi R8 because I sat in this car not so long ago and I remembered the size of the interior and saw that it was correct in raceroom.

7. II./JG77_Manu

II./JG77_Manu New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hmm seems odd. Because my eye distance is a lot nearer, something like 59mm. So if i follow your line of thought my multiplicator is already too high?!
    It also seems odd to me that with different eye width the car becomes bigger/smaller, because when i measure the in-game car with a real life measuring tape shoudn't be this an objective value?! At least that is how i would understand it...

8. Fezz Fox

Fezz Fox New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, hoping for some help...

Unable to get past the main menu in VR, mouse is stuck up in the top left of the screen and navigating the menus on a keyboard is pretty impossible due to the UI, anyone got a fix? really don't want to have to stop playing this game and I don't want to go back to 2D

Thanks

9. Squidboy

Squidboy Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I am having trouble with the UI too. Find the mouse can go AWOL - to fix a have to flip up the visor (using a HP HMD) to enable desktop mode and then flip back and hope the mouse is there. I think the UI may need a revisit now VR is part of the equation. There are several confirmation clicks to start a race which could be removed. Or maybe just have the ability to press an assigned key to go to next screen so need for mouse.

Apart from that i have to say the VR experience is pretty special. I spent several minutes just looking at stuff in reply mode. I never realised all the effort that had gone into the track surroundings. Kudus to the dev team. Quality really shows in the work and effort put into this sim.

10. Cypher

Cypher Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The UI is pretty horrible in general comparing to other sims (at least in my view) but it often becomes plain unusable in VR. There are times when I can't hover over the button as the cursor gets stuck somewhere near it and no matter what I do, I can't get my mouse over a button (not a specific one, it varies). Only after several tries I usually manage to find a region through which I can move the cursor onto the button in question.

11. II./JG77_Manu

II./JG77_Manu New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I had the same problem. Starting the game with Oculus Home off and SteamVR off solved it for me.

That said, no matter what i try i just don't manage to get an acceptable performance when racing against AI, unlike racing in AC or Pcars2. I am generally using ASW always on and FPS locked to 45 already in every sim bar AC (where i maintain a stable 90), and don't have a problem with it in Pcars2 or Dirt Rally. But i can't even maintain those 45 in Raceroom when racing against 15 AI. Frames regularly(!) drop below 30FPS, which is absolutely unacceptable. Only option i have is completely disabling supersampling, which is visually unacceptable, especially when compared to Pcars 2 (which i run on 1.2) or AC and DRally (on 1.3). Kinda sad that even with a 1070 i can't get this game to an acceptable state. My OC'd 4670k at 4,6GhZ should have plenty enough single core performance

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    u sure there isnt any window on top of raceroom that blocks particular region of your screen? seen the case few times, especially with steamvr window (if u have windowed program opened on top of raceroom, u wont be able to see that window obviously in vr in the game but also u wont be able to interact with part of the screen where window is)

13. Cypher

Cypher Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    That's weird. From what I've seen while doing some quick tests I'm getting around 50-60fps with my 980GTX with medium settings and a full grid.

Hmm, not sure. Never thought about it being related to windows open on my desktop. I'll try to test it tonight, see if that's the case.

14. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    could someone please tell me, which settings are causing more bluriness?
    I'm on -vr 2.5, Graphics everything on highest (except motion blur and depth of field) with my 1070 and I5 4690 (runnnig with ASW is possible with 19 AI Cars on Nordschleife)
    But it's very blurry :(

Except that it's absolutely fantastic to sit in a Corvette or a AMG GT3 and drive along the tribunes of Nürburgring where I sit a few times all years.

15. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I‘m very confused with this posts here regarding VR performance...

Some state that they drive with an oversampling of 2.5 on high details with an i5/GTX1070 combination and are totally fine with that. Others write that they can’t maintaine a stable framerate with an oversampling of around 1.5 and an i7/GTX1080(ti) system and are uncomfortable with VR...

I can’t (and don’t want to) judge this, driving with an DK2 and an oversampling of 2.0 (system Specs See signature)... all I can say that this combination is absolutely fine for me, very fluid, no sickness driving for 2-3 hours. This said, I know that the DK2 is less demanding. It seems also that I’m not that VR sickness guy, because my headset runs on 75Hz and I never had any issues with that.

Perhaps it is down to everybody sensibility experiencing VR and what it does with ones brain/body... where else could this wide spread experiences come from?

16. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I know your point. Read all posts before plugging my Rift in.
    And I really thought that I have to decrease all settings and was very impressed to see the graphics on high with 2.5 Oversampling with stable 45 AWS FPS.

I don't know if AWS is the key there. I don't have it on automatic because it jumps from 90 to 45 and so on, so I set it down to 45 with the Oculus Tray Tool.

But on the second hand I really don't know if 2.5 applies because it looks blurry for me. But This is on other sims, too, so I think this is the picture I have to live with while using VR with the oculus.

But I really don't know. Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

17. II./JG77_Manu

II./JG77_Manu New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure you put in the 2.5 properly, did you check the resolution with the Tray Tool? Can't believe that it runs smoothly on your system, seeing that i can't even run 1.7 (which is 1.3 true SS) with my 1070.
    I also set ASW to always on.
    After a lot of testing, going as high as 2.5 SS i realized that the most important settings to get a clear picture are setting shaders to high and MSAA to x4. 2.0 SS is enough, you don't really see changes above it anyway. I can run those settings when i am alone on the track, and it looks quite great.
    Running with other AI cars (15) i have to massively tune down the settings. Even with MSAA to x2, shaders medium and vanilla SS i don't get stable 45 fps. I have to tune it down until it looks crap. So bad that i don't even consider playing it when i can have much better in AC and Pcars2 (even in a thunderstorm).

and @FormelLMS :

what else settings are you running? Any tools running or not? Oculus Tray tool on or off? Oculus home, Steam VR on or off? 32 ore 64 bit? Which SS are you running @Cypher ?
    There has to be some sort of explanation why i can't run proper settings in R3E while other people can without any problem with a similar/worse system. And while my system can run pretty decent settings in every other VR game.

18. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    My startup is "-vr 2.5" I've not checked it. I'm absolute beginner to it. I've installed the tray tool, could you tell me where I can check it?
    In Background is the Tray tool, Oculus Home and SteamVR Running. Game runs in 64 Bit.

One Question: Is it possible to start Raceroom within the oculus somehow? A button to press where it starts?

19. II./JG77_Manu

II./JG77_Manu New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, but you didn't include the quotation marks (") in your startup, did you?
    In the Tray tool you can show for example: performance, ASW status, supersampling. You just have to select it in the drop down in the main menu of the Tray tool. You'll then see a transparent box inside(!) the Rift, telling you the values. If the SS is properly working for you it should show 1.58 as value.

Ok so you have everything running...guess i give it a try once more.
    I haven't found a way to start Raceroom in Oculus, but i didn't try so far, because so far i had Oculus Home disabled when running Raceroom.

20. Stede

Stede Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Oculus Home shows the latest played VR-Games in the list, even if they are not from the oculus store. So you can start Raceroom also from your Oculus Home and than Raceroom starts under SteamVR (1st SteamVR starts and you are in SteamVR-Home). Before that Raceroome have to be startet in VR-Mode at least 1 time.
    This workes very well for me and also for Elite Dangerous or DCS World, wich I had bought before I had the Rift.

• Like Like x 1