App for throttle and brake inputs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sharp, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Sharp

Sharp Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if there is an app so I can monitor my throttle and brake inputs.

I noticed on George's streams that he uses one, but i'm not sure if its one that's in the base game or an overlay on OBS.

Hope some one can help me :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I believe the one Georg use is for the overlay on OBS. Would like to have something like it my self "in game" So I am following this. :innocent:

3. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    What Georg (and others, myself included) uses is an OBS overlay app called Wheeler:

https://billiam.itch.io/wheeler

It works without OBS, but you have to have a second monitor to see it, for obvious reasons.
    Alternatively, you can display pedal widgets in some smartphone dashboard app - I use SIM dashboard and it does include such widget which works rather well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. sbXII

sbXII Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Since the dashboard app 'Dashpanel' is on steam, you can use the input widgets with the overlay mode on the main screen.

For example like this...
    Dashpanel Widgets.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    You have to be using windowed mode for that, though.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  6. sbXII

sbXII Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, Raceroom has to run in windowed mode.

Edit: That isn't correct, sorry.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  7. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    If you want to get pedals input directly from Raceroom (taking into account in-game settings like sensitivity, dead zones...) I also published this small tool. It's a Wheeler-like app so meant for OBS overlay.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Actually now that I've had more time to test I have to rethink the rule that you have to be in windowed mode.
    It seems to vary from sim to sim. I have run overlay with R3E and rF2 in fullscreen with no problems.
    Switching to edit mode doesn't work as well though. You have to Alt-Tab to DashPanel to edit the overlay. Other than that I didn't have any problems.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    I hope R3E is app-less / app-free one day. If I use a sim, I don't want to use any other software for a real racing experience! So we still need a official In-Sim "Crew Chief / Spotter", "Throttle-Brake-Clutch-SeeringWheel Input Display" and a "HUD-Manager" made by Sector3!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  10. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Why? When you have talented devs like @mr_belowski @Stefan Mizzi who made fantastic apps. It’s just this two tools who I start before the game start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Probably a pretty stupid question - from what I understand these are all OBS overlays? Is there also an app, that works with the fullscreen game, when I record with Bandicam?

12. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    The debate about 3rd party apps vs built-in functions is an interesting one. I understand that filling in missing features with apps developed by 3rd parties isn't ideal - especially when there's no guarantee as to the quality / performance / stability of such apps.

However, it's worth mentioning here that these 3rd party apps do have one major advantage - they're not constrained by the development priorities and constraints that the game developers must work within. This allows 3rd party devs to respond very quickly to user feedback and requests, and do things that the studios simply wouldn't be allowed to do.

They also provide a medium through which new and interesting ideas can develop in collaboration with the community.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  13. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Wait I still have another app in the drawer to manage replays! :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I don't think there's any solution for fullscreen, it would have to be part of the game. Does Bandicam have the option to record multiple sources? If it does, then it should be possible to use one of the existing solutions for recording, even in fullscreen (I'm using fullscreen myself, although with OBS).

15. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    But, guys, you can use borderless windowed, it's windowed agree, but you don't see the windows.
    It looks like full screen, has the advantages of full screen and not the inconvenient of full screen (aka, when you click on another screen, you don't lose focus).
    I found that thing sometime ago, it's really nice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I just recorded DashPanel in Fullscreen mode with Bandicam no problems.

Bandicam.png

• Like Like x 1
  17. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Berno: That post of my you disagreed with was referring to you actually seeing the inputs, not recording them. Just FYI.

Borderless windowed does not have the advantages of full screen, save for the fact you don't see other windows or the border. It's still a windowed mode, which I'm pretty sure means forced triple buffered vsync.

18. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Want this input shown in game a lot.
    It can also help you to figure out that your pedals not working properly and not giving you 100% throttle or brake, which can be pretty helpful in some cases when pedals are glitchy or not properly calibrated.
    Please add this to HUD.

19. sbXII

sbXII Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    He disagreed because you can see the inputs even if Raceroom and Dashpanel are running in fullscreen.

20. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I see now, Dashpanel apparently has the option to run as an overlay. Interesting. Didn't know that. Thanks. Will have to check it out.

(And it would've been nice to mention that instead of simply clicking on "disagree" and then not mentioning it at all, we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place.)