The weakest UI and HUD in the market

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unrealnoise, Jun 15, 2018.

?

What do you think about the UI and HUD in R3R?

1. very weak

6.3%
  2. weak

27.8%
  3. satisfactory

31.6%
  4. good

25.3%
  5. very good

8.9%
  1. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    You may be right. A complete overhaul would bring all these missing things and fix the old ones in one big UI update. But on the other hand, I don't think fixing present UI needs that much changes. A little thing here and there, and it would be much better than it is now. At least for the time needed to make the new UI

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    All in all its fine.

The menu is okay, but certain options, namely controller axis setup, need better explanation.

Personally, I am no fan of these huge car and track icons on the seleciton screens so that you only have a fraction of the variety on screen at any moment. My 24" screen is big enough to support lets say 4 rows with 6 icons each. ;) Its purely cosmetic, however. It functions the way it is, too.

In game, box screens fpor setup all are good. Do never think about scattering the setup options for the car over several screens - thats a nerve-killer. Leave it as it is.

Info screens during driving, I am no friend of having hundr4eds os nubmer datas on my screen. i also have no time to look at them. I have it all switched off, everything. Only gear indicator sometimes is on, when needed. Using VR and Crewchief here. But I hardly listen to Crewchief's times info - it is immersive background chatter not more. Spotter and tyre/fuel infos are the things am listening to, and info on cars leaving pits while I am nearby. The rest, times and all that, I do not need to spend attention on - I drive my race, try to be as good as I can - and the others do their things (for which I must not care).

Stay focussed. Drive your race. The less clutter on screen, the better.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Very good point Skybird, imho Raceroom has the best car setup screen of all the sims. All others are spread over various pages and not user friedly at all. What I miss thjough, are some pop up explanations as some points are far from self explanatory.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Had to vote for 'weak', unfortunately.

UI: the design is fine but menus are slow (I know this is caused by the always online nature of the game), I get some weird flickering on car and track select screens and I have 4k scaling issues with the store and portal that have gone unresolved for nearly a year.

HUD: messages popping up in front of the virtual mirror when I'm trying to race are annoying to say the least. Needs more customisation options. Also suffering from 4k scaling issues for nearly a year.

However if an overhaul is coming in the future then I can live with these issues.

5. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Im not sure this is a good criticism. No game does this, and likely never will.

Sims are for people more on the hardcore side of the gaming spectrum, and with that, comes a responsibility by the user to familiarize themselves with the things they need to do to properly simulate driving. These games are a lot more complex than Need For Speed, and give you a lot more options, settings, and keys to bind. So, if someone doesnt go into the options menu and look at the things they might need to re-bind, that is on them.

This would be akin to buying a new Call of Duty game on PC and starting it up and getting into a match right away without tweaking the graphics settings at all and then complaining that the framerate is atrocious.

I suppose this could be more apparent in the server browser if this feature is used. However, in RR it is very simple and you can remember it for yourself quite easily if it is enabled. The pit window will always be in the middle third of the race, either by time or lap amount. Along with that will be very clear messages warning you when the window is opening, when it is open, how many laps you have until it closes, and then when it closes. If someone misses all of that... again, that one might be on them :p

The scaling issues were reported ages ago, but sadly nothing ever came of it.

Have you tried rendering the game in a lower resolution? 1080p for instance? It would be much easier on your gpu which will give you much higher framerates which sims highly benefit from, and get rid of the scaling issues 4k has. Win-win perhaps.

6. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    What I miss the most, is a summary of lap- and sector times after a race or practice session.

Other than this, I think the UI and hud is quite good. Nothing fancy but does the job.

Being able to save custom race parameter presets would be nice, but no dealbreaker.

Also, being able to move hud elements around, more osd apps etc. like in AC would be nice, but no major need for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Some points which I want to have better:

UI in VR is sometimes unreadable
    Chat and other yellow messages shouldn't be over the virtual mirror and not in yellow. It's very hard to see...
    And we need some statistics like laptimes etc as many other said.

Other than that I really like the UI. It's not a mess, very cleaned up. For me I have only the position bar on (where I can't read the distances between the cars in VR....) but this is for immersion. I don't want to have to many widgets and overlays while driving.

I really really hope, that S3 will have a look at it, especially for the VR thing and the statistics..

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    It would be nice to have something like this indeed.

9. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    @nate
    No, I want to play in 4k. I get a comfortable and steady 60fps without stressing the gpu. Just a shame the game isn't up to speed with what is fast becoming a mainstream gaming resolution.

10. AlexBlob

AlexBlob Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    4K is not a mainstream resolution. Its far from it still if you look at monitor sales. ;)

11. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it's not mainstream yet, but especially in the gaming-sector it is becoming more and more popular.
    In the sales-numbers of monitors you must consider, that a big part (maybe even the bigger one) of the sales are for business-purpose. In those, 4K-Resolution is not really a topic.

Development needs time. Thinking about things when they are needed is to late. So you have to indicate trends when they are small to be ready when the market affords it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    New HUD/UI in UE4 confirmed :D

13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    lol, Ive seen images of rF2 Ui but to say it will be soon is very optimistic ! It's been in the works for about a year with no new info in the latest road map .
    R3E Ui is okay , at least its usable in VR unlike AC but the HUD in R3E is not very usable in VR .
    pC2 Ui is great but HUD need some work !
    I can't remember iRacings HUD but remember the Ui was confusing !
    ATM AMS seems to have a HUD that works well but Ui is old feeling even though it's somewhat new .
    All Sims need work as none are perfect and i would like bit from here and there to make the best HUD and Ui in any and all Sims .

14. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well bought me PCars 2 just because I wanted to do some funraces @LM and elsewhere with full Daytime/Weather Dynamics and whatnot cause I really miss this with R3E and it's exactly what I found the best comment even before I bought it " PCars simulates a lot, but nothing right !"
    All features from enviromental stuff up to UI and HUD look really nice with a lot of Info and blah but the Sim itself physicswise - well...feels like R3E Beta-"Boat" Physics 4 Years ago (I still find even GTR2 better).Not to mention the bugs I found even with a few hrs of testing...:rolleyes: .If thats the alternative to have some fancy HUD, UI, Dashboard Gizmos but a shitty handling,theres no question what I 'll prefer.
    And not running R3E because some "fancy stuff" missing? Guess old school heroes like Fangio, Hill, Brabham, all those drivers from the 50s to the 70s will just laugh at you for being a softie without a true racers heart who can`t handle a racecar without fancy electronics built in.

And there is a fine line between serious argumentation and nitpicking...just sayin' ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    @Fairman

But it's not really about some fancy electronics build in, rather basic features that are still missing even though the sim exists for long enough time to add them.

Imagine that you are taking a training session in real life. A modern circuit with everything, a superb sport car. You just took a couple of laps and decided to end your session. Obviously, you want to check your times in some kind of table, but the man at the desk says "I'm really sorry, but we are still not capable of providing you such informations. You could have been writing down the laptimes as you were passing the finish line each time".

Well, that's actually what happens in Raceroom.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  16. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Such a shame to use the sim with one of the best AI as a hotlapper.. .

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    My main gripe is there is no best lap time, no delta bar, no relative time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I understand the wish for a HUD, where I can see sector times, personal best or weak sectors, a big indicator of the actual delta (e.g. like in iRacing) and so on.
    I just don’t understand what that helps for racing preparation? It’s easier to see my good and weak spots on the track, yes, but for a (league) race preparation I practice the track for about 4-6 hours all in all. After 10-20 laps I know, I feel, my weak spots on the track where I loose some time, even without looking at any time indicator. I challenge my ghost to get firm with the track, than I can go hotlapping against others ghosts that are some tenth better, when I catch a guy, I choose a faster one and so on. Then there is a point where I know I’m not fast enough, but I can’t do anything to improve myself, overall it’s my limit, given by my talent... even a detailed (sector/lap) timetable won’t help me...
    So to make a leap to my beginning of the post, I don’t understand that missing time indicators within the HUD make R3E a ‚hotlapping sim‘...

• Like Like x 1
  19. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Nearly every car has a delta time in any game mode.

It's on one of the pages of the data display in the cockpit. If you havent mapped a key to change the pages, you need to do that.

Options>controller options/secondary controller settings > scroll down a bit until you find "data display page flip" and map it to a button on your wheel.

Then get out on track and flip through until you find the page with the delta.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Pit54

Pit54 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The position bar is easier to read, in the LB the position bar is also easier to read in the VR.
    Here you see if the front man is faster in red and the man behind green.
    That would be very good for a league race in the VR.
    Set-up: Times
    Driver front 0.312 Driver 2.62.112 Driver rear

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018