Question FoV and Speed Perception

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by kanineAU, Nov 30, 2019.

1. kanineAU

kanineAU New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have a 27" Monitor and sit approx 650-700mm from the screen (its just behind the wheel).

The various FoV calculators give me a recommendation of 0.5x FoV.

However I notice at this setting my sense of speed is way out of whack, when driving around Bathurst it feels like I'm driving down a residential street at moderate speed. This means my natural instinct on a corner is way off. I've tried pushing the seat back, it helps a bit but if I change my FoV to 0.8x and position the seat so I'm just able to see time remaining on the dash the sense of speed feels much better.

Whilst I know this probably all comes down to "use what's best for you" does this seem like a reasonable compromise? I'm assuming one of the main advantages of a triple screen setup is a much better FoV leading to that more accurate visual sense of speed and perspective?

0.8x
    0.5x

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  2. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Hi and hello!
    We had a similar theme here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/realistic-seat-position-height-tilt.13946/
    If you read this , you should experiment wit seat position and Viewing perspective.I use the Fov Calculator from Mr. Pix.And the distance from your eyes to the middle of the monitor in cm is the most important factor.Not your seat or wheel distance!
    For me i have a 49 inch TV and a viewing distance about 85 cm wich gives ma a FOV of 0.7......

3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This comes up over and over and over. Set it to the correct FOV as calculated and it will be as near to real as possible. Looking through a small monitor is like looking through a small window into the virtual world....you lose the pheripheral view that gives you the sense of speed....but remember that your braking points etc will all be exactly the same.

if you are used to playing at a wide FOV then it will feel strange at first....stick with it though. Once you get used to driving at correct FOV anything else seems totally wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. kanineAU

kanineAU New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks I put my thoughts into the other thread mentioned above to try and consolidate discussion as the FoV wars continue...

5. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I use FOV x0.5 on a single 23" screen since long time. The first tries were stranges, now I feel speed, everything looks natural and I couldn't change my FOV, it gives me more informations on the car behavior and feels natural.
    It first feels strange cause you don't have peripheral view like in a real car where your field of vision is close to 180°. But with time you'll get used with this. ;)
    In ACC I even use a tighter FOV cause the game allows it.