rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mihai, Sep 16, 2016.

1. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    The Rfactor2 Virtual 24hrs of Le Mans broadcast is amazingly well done and rivals any of the real world broadcast of that race that I have seen. This is great exposure for Rfactor2 and the sim racing world in general, Well done to everyone involved at every level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I´m not so impressed by red flag server issues and Alonso Lazarus rule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I wish people would cut rFactor 2 some slack, for me it performed admirably.

If an engine blows ups after 6 hours, no-none bats an eye. The drivers are not 1$ auctioning their sponsorship cars, or calling the brand bullshit. But should something happen to a piece of SW, which is equally complex, people immediately start bashing.

The biggest difference is that engine manufacturers are investing milions into development and just their marketing team is bigger than Studio 397, Sector3, Kunos...or any other sim dev.

Until Covid, simracing was a niche, with sims developed on a tight budget with a small development team. Just about keeping float. Even IRacing was ran at a loss, just until year or two ago, and it too experiences technical issues during high-profile event. A lot of compromises had to be done during development of any current sim. And suddenly they are put on the worlds biggest motosport stage, without having any real time to prepare and adapt to an event of that magnitude.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I think overall it was really well done, the production and the on screen graphics were great, the game looked good with the lighting etc. The server issues were disappointing but I think it was handled as well as could be expected.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. krimmler

krimmler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    It was a nice event, well done. The server issues were handled good from the organisation with red flag conditions on track and some interviews until the safety car restart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I didn´t know they were forced to do it. Did they have a license contract with the ACO and ACO said you have to do this event?

7. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    My first success with free content came last night after a YouTube recommendation in the form of the 'Lester' track.

I only know the shorter sprint version ATM, but it's a thoroughly convincing fictitious circuit around a US dockyard, with a great mix of flat out and technical corners.

8. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I doubt they were forced legally. But this is the kind of offer that you just don't turn down as a company ;)
    Iracing wouldn't be hassle free also. I've seen people having technical difficulties in it during high profile events.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I am not here to bash any sim. I have watched a lot of "replacement" races take place on iRacing for (NASCAR, IMSA, SCCA) and ACC (SRO). Most of those races lasted 40-90 minutes and sometimes they streamed a series of as many as four to five separate races on a broadcast that lasted up to 3 hours. I have seen more glitches and connection problems in those, much shorter, streamed race series than I saw during the 24 hour broadcast of the Le Mans race. I thought the technical issues experienced with Rfactor2 were kept to a minimum and when they did occur they were handled brilliantly. In addition, the quality of the broadcast, commentary and interviews were fantastic and set a very high benchmark for future sim racing events.

The most immersion breaking thing I saw were collisions where one car lost a wheel and it rolled away down the track and then moments later the car is driving as if nothing has happened. However, I saw exactly the same situation multiple times in IRacing during recent IMSA and SCCA races.

As far as the red flagging of the race for the server crashes, that is a reality of simulated racing on computers connected by the internet. Things happen there that do not happen in the real life racing. However, there are things that happen in real life racing that cause red flags that do not happen in a digitally simulated automobile race. Things like a deluge of rain, destruction of barriers and multiple car or fatal crashes will all bring a real life race to a temporary halt. Sim racing does not stop for any of those so I think the trade-off of a red flag for a server crash and making allowances for drivers who are "caught out" during a server problem is a more than acceptable compromise.

I hope that this event was just the tip of the iceberg and that we can look forward to more sim racing events of this quality in the future. Bravo!

Disclaimer: I do not own nor have I ever tried Rfactor2. I am not an Alonso fan. My sole experience with Rfactor2 was watching the Virtual 24HRs of Le Mans presentation and I came away from it very impressed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  10. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    I've watched about 14 hours of race and, in the end, I can say it was pretty much impressive. Have to say the worst part for me was the music part. Hope they will get rid of it in light of future events. The donation request, while i respect the initiative and wish them to get all the funds they need, was imo cringe af, at least add a link to it in description or an annotation.

Now, with this event finished, all I can say is: gimme more. I liked it, a lot. And if future virtual races will be this quality then I can barely wait.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jacob Marshall

Jacob Marshall Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if you have tried the following free content, but I fully recommend:

Cars:
    USF2000,
    and the workshop version of the Radical;
    Tracks:
    Canadian Tyres (the senormen version);
    Mills Metro,
    and ofc Zandvoort 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    To me and no offence to Brits here it was really good but worst part was the somehow childish behavior of Lando Noris.with all my respect, he is a bit too much emotional and pedantic in his statment when it comes to simracing with things that dont turn up good enough for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I like most of the content i have accessed to date being official or quality mods but i cant find a fwd car i can enjoy,so far... if you guys know of any please feel free to share

14. Jacob Marshall

Jacob Marshall Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Don't do much FWD, but I'm going to guess you've tried the Civic?

EDIT:
    No offence taken by your Lando comment; entitled boy-child that needs to grow up.

15. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Oh yes the Civic. And i live in Japan so you know how well it is regarded over here

if my staff or friends knew how crazy bad it rides in rfactor2 they would be nutts lol)

And being French i wanted to love the Clio Cup but ended up with same feeling than with the civic because of the insane torque steer and FFB all over the place

I would say that again, TCR and FWD cars in general are much better executed and enjoyable in RRE

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  16. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    By far...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I grabbed some tracks and the total GT3 pack in the summer sale.. Most feel pretty good, but what's up with the Mercedes FFB? That's just plain broken, right? It loads up briefly on corner entrance, but then just kinda gives out like the wheels are coated in butter.

It's a shame, as that's one of my favourite cars in the class, and it looks/sounds great. It's another little thing that just reinforces that while there are some little gems in RF2, the overall thing is a bit of a mess.

18. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
  19. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    That may help tweak things here and there, but I don't imagine it will fix what feels fundamentally broken. - It feels so alien compared to every other car in that pack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Same findings for me

FWD cars in general and that amg gt3 are really bad