Problem HUGE Performance Hit After December Update

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Georgeagea, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Georgeagea

Georgeagea Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    New member and 1st post here after hours of headbanging and troubleshooting.

Having massive issues now tafter the latest update.
    I'm running triples 1080p. i7 7700, gtx1080, 32gb ram.
    FPS is now around 15fps to 20fps. Undriveable and laggy as hell.
    Same medium-ish settings last time I tried it, before the latest update, I was getting anywhere between 80 and 144fps.
    I lowered everything to the lowest and now getting like 30 to 40fps.

I tried all of the following:
    1- rebooted.
    2- verified game integrity in steam.
    3- deleted WHOLE of SimBin folder in documents.
    Default everything (didn't even assign wheel buttons just to check if it's a wheel related issue), graphics on low, still same issue.
    4- without any launch command, with launch commands, with old -triScr or with the new -webmenu, still nothing.

Something is seriously weird here. Other sims/games are working just fine.

Help?

2. Georgeagea

Georgeagea Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE:
    I managed to get a decent fps using my triples but without true triples support.
    I deleted the simbin folder, updated graphics drivers, deleted all launch commands and booted into the game fresh.
    I was getting anywhere between 70 and 130fps, on the wide 5760*1080 resolution.

The moment I switched to the true triple screen support, by adding -webmenu and fixing my POV settings in-game, the fps dropped to 30fps.
    Even booting without the -webmenu but with the old -triScr command still gives me same low FPS and laggy experience.

I conclude that this new update completely broke triple screens somehow.

3. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    for testing
    so the correct order for triples is

- delete graphics_options.xml

- start the game without -webmenu to set correct resolution

- start the game with -webmenu to set correct fov

4. Georgeagea

Georgeagea Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Bro that's what I have done actually many times. I did not only delete graphics_options.xml but the whole folder and started fresh as if I've just installed the game. Did the same order. Once I configure correct FOV for triples, the game starts lagging heavily with 20fps. Even removing -webmenu again keeps it lagging.

5. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Are you on the latest Nvidia drivers? I am hearing they are hitting Pascal cards perfs somehow so it might be worth a check if surround is affected too

And revert back to an old drivers if so maybe to see if that makes a difference?

6. Georgeagea

Georgeagea Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes man, I am on the latest drivers. Surround is just working fine with all of my other sims (AC, ACC, Pc2, AMS2, RF2).

7. kosletten

kosletten New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is strange, all I had to do is delete my -triscr launch command and add the -webmenu command then start the game and finish setting up triple screen in the Options. 7680x1440 at 120fps + with a 1080ti with Nvidia 457.30 drivers.

KO

8. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    @Georgeagea Did you use the extra parameter for -triscr at the end set to 1?

9. Georgeagea

Georgeagea Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Isn't -triScr obsolete and not working now?!

I used to use this: -triScr 52 0 59.5 33.5 1 59.5 33.5 0.75 60 59.5 33.5 1 60

However after latest update, and since it's no longer working, I replaced it by -webmenu and fixed the FOV in-game.

My problem is not getting triples to work. They work fine. My problem is the performance when it's enabled. FPS is like 1/3 or less, of what it was before the update. Now it's too low that it's not driveable, and that's with lower overall settings.

Now, I uninstalled the game, deleted simbin folder, reinstalled starting fresh, and the issue still persist. Basically can't use triples with RRE anymore.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Hervé45

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Install old version of nvidia drivers ?

11. Georgeagea

Georgeagea Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I updated to the latest version after trying all solutions.
    In other words, on same nvidia drivers, my fps has gotten to 30 or 40fps say from 80 to 100fps, after the last update.

12. KRodrig1

KRodrig1 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Highly unusual. I use triple 27 inch 144Hz monitors. I've tried both the old way with the -triScr and the -webmenu and I have no issues with frames.

Let me ask a question which may not be relevant in your case but I had a similar issue and couldn't for the life of me figure it out until one day I did.
    • Do you by chance have a controller that comes up as a detected but unassigned profile in your menus?
    • And if you do, did you assign it a profile?
    I had this issue and for some reason, the sim didn't like it and turned my FPS to shite! Once I deleted the unassigned profile, things were back to normal again.

Again might not be relevant to your situation but thought I'd mention it in case it helps.

13. Hervé45

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Format c::coldsweat:

14. Georgeagea

Georgeagea Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply man.

I did just delete simbin folder again and launched the game with -webmenu. I've also detached a mini-numpad acting as button box and detached my handbrake. So now I have only the G29 and its shifter plugged into it.

I've set the correct FOV. I binded some buttons and the pedals of course.
    You can find attached 2 pics of the controls in both old and new UI.

Also attached is my FPS and stats from MSI afterburner/riva tuner; that's in a practice session, alone on track with low-ish graphics. It goes up to 60 or 70fps for a couple of seconds and then drops to 40s.
    Before it was at least 70 or 80fps in the worst of cases.

(NB: Some suggested that MSI afterburner/riva tuner could be the problem so I also exited them and launched the game without them. Game remained laggy and same observed/felt fps).
    IMG_20201230_214212.jpg IMG_20201230_213711.jpg IMG_20201230_213950.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  15. KRodrig1

KRodrig1 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    @Georgeagea I don't believe that MSI Afterburner/Riva Tuner are the problem. So let me ask this, was everything the same as prior to the latest update and can you be absolutely sure that these issues began "only" after the latest update to the game/sim? Have you updated your version of Windows to 20H2?

I'm just brainstorming here trying to find some kind of an insight to what the issue could be. It makes no sense that things would go south for you and not for others with similar setups after the update to R3E.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  16. Georgeagea

Georgeagea Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks man again for your care and help... I definitely need it as I'm feeling frustrated here...

I'm gonna brainstorm with you and mention stuff that I remember that is probably not related to this issue.

First yes 20H2 is installed since long time ago before I had any issues and before the latest RRE update.
    Edition Windows 10 Pro
    Version 20H2
    Installed on ‎11/‎10/‎2020
    OS build 19042.685
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

I guess all the main stuff was remaining the same before and after the latest RRE update; i.e. before and after the issues.
    I updated the nvidia drivers after I had these issues; just to see if that solves the issue, but it didn't.

I don't have such major issues with any other sim. The only game that I recently noticed some issues with, is Battlefield 5 where I noticed that my CPU usage is hitting 80% or more and hindering the performance quite well. I don't think that's related to my current issue.

I went into BIOS once and changed fans curves and stuff, but that was also before I had the issues.

I really can't think of anything major I've done! I played RRE like 2 weeks ago, took a small break, the update dropped but I didn't immediately try it. I tried it on monday and I discovered the issues... I nearly tried everything as you can see in this thread.

The weird thing, is that GPU usage is 99 or 100% all the time in RRE now (as can be seen in pic shared above).
    Even on low graphics preset, and on high preset , all the time 99% but with very low fps.; and its temp is very low, dead cool! It's like the GPU is overworking in vain, or should I say, not working properly but reported to be fully working.
    In other sims, the usage goes up and down a bit depending on track, cars, scenery etc,,, usually anywhere around 75 to 95%, while the temps could easily hit 70 to 80deg. It's the way the GPU should operate.
    Could it be a D3D9 issue??! But D3D11 and D3D12 are working great... I dunno I'm banging my head here...

17. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Can you attach your graphics_options.xml (my documents/my games/SimBin/...

Do you use any other command line options like webhud

18. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a problem with the gpu clock being stuck or something, making the gpu being constantly "underclocked". Have read about this somewhere earlier, but can't remember the solution. Worth looking into, though.

What clock rate does the gpu run at, Afterburner can monitor that also.

Edit: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...-cards/5/235893/gtx-1080-stuck-at-low-clocks/

19. Georgeagea

Georgeagea Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Trying to do some diagnostic work using the power of MSI afterburner and riva tuner.

Below is my rig first:
    RIG.PNG

Here are the properties I am monitoring in afterburner, decoded in colors, as much as my knowledge allows me:
    Monitoring.png
    We're gonna neglect the CPU monitoring for now, as it is clear.

Here are the stats in a 20 AI offline race in ACC, also coded in colors according to the above pic:
    ACC.jpg

Here are the stats in a 20 AI offline race in AMS2, also coded in colors according to the above pic:
    AMS2.jpg

And here are the stats in a 20 AI offline race in RRE, also coded in colors according to the above pic:
    RRE.jpg

The findings I could notice are:
    1-GPU usage variable in ACC and AMS2 and also higher temps; while RRE is always 99% on lower temps.
    2-RRE has FB usage of 5% only while AMS2 and ACC have it at least of 35% (give or take).
    3-All 3 sims have a VID usage of 0%.
    4-RRE has BUS usage of 84% while AMS2 and ACC have it at most of 36% (give or take).
    5-Clock speeds are somewhat similar.
    6-Here is the most important piece of the puzzle I guess; RRE has only 40% GPU power usage while ACC and AMS2 have it at least 87% (give or take).
    7- As a result of points 1 and 6 above, RRE has a fan speed of 0% while ACC has it at around 50% and AMS2 at around 25%.

What should I conclude?! What should I do?!

20. Georgeagea

Georgeagea Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yeah used to use some of that webhud but after facing the issues, and uninstalling/reinstalling the game now, I've not used it anymore just to minimize the factors and try to narrow down on the problem.