Bug Connection Issues - Error 13

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by J.Simonds, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Theoloop

Theoloop New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ive had the same issue multiple times before, it can be resolved with a VPN, but its an issue within the game and not anyone's ISP, or else id have similar issues with other games and I don't.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Theoloop

Theoloop New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here is a video showing the issue and how it clears with a VPN connection, maybe this can help someone diagnose, maybe not. Occurrences as in description as timestamps so you don't have to sit through the whole thing.

3. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Did you try changing DNS or connecting at a different time of day apart from the VPN? Was it better or the same?

I find that after 22h CET things go better, possibly due to less players so less server load?

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    OK, I tried with a free VPN and it was much quicker to load the game despite a 33 ping compared to 11 or so normally.
    It was worse than ever to try to get in today about 12h CET, which is why I tried the VPN option as using Cloudflare DNS did not help.

It is clearly something related to my ISP and Raceroom and started last week as I am able to play other steam games without similar issues.

The time of the day seems a critical factor but surely 12h CET is not peak time for connectivity?

5. CaptainCoffee

CaptainCoffee Esports Manager Beta tester

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    Then why does this topic even exist? If you don't give us any helpful info, we can't be helpful either.

That's contradicting. It is in the end the ISP, because using a VPN means you're using _another ISP_ in the end.

If it really was the game's fault, then even a VPN would not "fix" the connection issue. It is simply picking a different route than your current ISP is using - that is all.

The peaks have nothing to do with users on raceroom, but users on the entire network along that route. If millions are streaming netflix and browsing facebook/instagram, your traffic still needs to be put through the game servers which can take a while depending on the route it's taking. And if it's not netflix, it could be a lot of video conferences, people are still working from home ;)

That depends on where those game servers are located! If those are somewhere else than where the raceroom servers are located, then yes, it takes a different route which might mean it's easier to connect

6. Theoloop

Theoloop New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Okay that makes sense. Sorry I know nothing about networking honestly.
    Hope something can get figured out. If not on RaceRooms end maybe just a public fix to do it yourself. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I don´t know what to think. Just because a VPN solves the issue doesn´t necessarily mean it´s a done deal that our ISP´s are exclusively at fault as we are not seeing such terrible download speeds with other apps. It´s got to be something a little bit more complex in terms of routing and I wonder if anything has changed on RRE server side since the last patch. It seems more than a coincidence the issues started for me after that patch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CaptainCoffee

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    You can see it as a train or airplane line.

Just as an example: you take off in San Francisco to New York, then U.K. London, train to Dover, take the train to Calais, then Brussels, then Amsterdam.

A VPN gives you the chance to fly from New York to Iceland instead, then a plane to Amsterdam

Destination is the same, but route is different.

The problems aren't on RaceRooms server side, at most the network it is connected to. That's why it is working for 98 or 99% of the players.

Buddy had issues with connecting to amazon prime video. Connected through vpn via New York and problem solved.

Myself had packet loss in another game with 6 people. Only one other person experienced those lags and packet loss, the rest connected through different providers and had no issues. It really is rhe same issue, and yes it sucks, but not the fault of that game

9. Doug Spinster

Doug Spinster Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    What are you people loading from the internet?

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    So why is my normal ISP connection pedestrian only slow for RRE at certain times of the day but I always get full speed on Speedtest and I have no issues with download speeds on youtube, twitch, downloading files or anything else?
    I understand that my ISP could be throttling my connection but why only with RRE and not everything? If I call them to complain then what data about RRE server would I need to provide? Sorry if this seems dumb but I am not an expert on this subject at all.

11. CaptainCoffee

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    Where are you connecting from? Local speedtest will be fine, but try speedtest to france and germany in various datacenters. Also, a speedtest is a download - continued stream of data which works different from sending data with intervals

12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Spain. I get minimum 300-400Mbps upload and download to Bordeaux and Saarlouis on Speedtest with 35 ping and 500/200 56 ping to Russia. Using cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
    I can sometimes get a low speedtest e.g. 60Mbps on some obscure server from Spain but how slow would it have to be to have game start times of almost 2 minutes or just to see the multiplayer lobby list? Is that much data being transferred?

I never get disconnected once actually in and playing nor do I get kicked from servers for ping unless they are in Brazil or someplace like that.

As I only play on weekends I guess I can wait to see what happens and if it clears up by itself but if not what should I do?

13. mdelgadodiaz83

mdelgadodiaz83 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    J.Simon, all connection issues are solved tell you , the problem is your IPS provider, I had a lot of problems, and everyone tells me, are your ISP provider and anyone give me other ideas..

14. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    In your case the issue was due to the Wifi connection, wasn´t it or am I mistaken?

What don´t understand is why I face issues with loading the game but am not getting kicked or disconnected while playing, The only issue I can get when playing is that the competition laptimes don´t get recorded all of the time.

15. CaptainCoffee

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    You could try an odd day/time, like 3-4-5 in the morning to see if it's still having a hard time connecting. It is possible that you won't experience any issues because the internet has less users at that point

Well, that make sense. The license/game server is one end (which is why loading the game takes a while, if it connects at all, and why sometimes your times doesn't get posted to the game server), but the multiplayer servers are located by other users in different regions (from home pc's to other datacenters).

Hope that explains it!

16. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I understand. But then I should also have issues with Euro ranked server access but I don´t. At 23h or so at night it does get better but I work so can´t be testing at all times.

Is there an IP address for the main game server that I can get to test some sort of out of game speed/ping with?

17. Hendrick

Hendrick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Well I started playing last year September at DTM 2020 release and since then only had ONE online race. Error 13 has been my way to click and exit the game because I could never get multiplayer working. All my other games work perfect with no issues so common sense tells me its a technical problem by the game. I'm an offline player so I have been very patient with this problem but Its slowly getting me frustrated. RaceRoom is my go to sim, I would like to now invest in it, buy a premium pack and join online leagues. But I cannot do that up until I have the other half of the game working well and stable. Yes Im aware it may still be in beta and seem like a small rare issue but I urge the devs to address it as quick as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  18. J.Simonds

J.Simonds Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I give up...

R3.. your reps are rude. Between them, hey have alienated myself and many others on here and Discord. You aren't doing yourself any favors having these people insult users, especially new users.

Good luck in the future, and I hope you figure out your issues, but this guy is outa here.. done.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mdelgadodiaz83

mdelgadodiaz83 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sorry for the delay. Well, I really don't know. i didn't any change in my wifi settings so.. Just disappears the kickoff issue!!