Racing incident - opinions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter Kerenyi, Jul 9, 2015.

?

Who's fault was the Skyline's spin?

1. BMW 635i

33 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. Skyline R32

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Don't be so harsh, make it 24.72 positions ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Fancy this all comes down to who had a good day and who didn't, I am a very laid back, placid person, yet every now and again, whilst tootling round the track, some idiot (imo) ruins my killer lap (imo) with some do or die manoeuvre, ruining my entire race. End of the day, we're not professional drivers, we don't get a pre race meeting to sort the can and can't do's, we don't get a post race meeting to say who did what to who, we're a collection of similar minded people with varying degrees of ability thrown onto a track that half the grid know like the back of their hand and half think they do, some have spent an hour fettling their car to perfection the rest run what they brung. I only drive in open servers (Billy no mates) so prepare myself for despair with 30 mins of meditation! :D, joking, in truth if you don't want the unexpected then perhaps motorsport is not for you. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    We are indeed just playing a game, most of us with a single monitor and no hydraulic seats, you can't simulate real life and real racing fully thay way. Motorsport is great, and people are different, people make mistakes. A race before that I took the lead immediately and screwed up the first corner because I didnt pay enough attention on a track I didnt know well, the race before that I was taken out after the start. This incident was just so frustrating after that.

4. Ty Duff

Ty Duff Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    LOL the retort videos made it worse...

5. Elva

Elva Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    If you don't want the unexpected then the Silhouette series on Raceroom Raceway is for you - there you can expect to get rammed in the first corner. :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    His line through the right hander is poor and his exit will be compromised, and he should know that. Whenever I do something similar I immediately look in the mirror to see if I have time to cover and defend. He doesn't and turns in like there's no one there. If we don't make contact there I have the extra speed to make the pass clean through the next few turns. It's lack of awareness, plain and simple.

Anyway, I'm not gonna hold grudges. There's only so many drivers that go to MP in R3E. Just be more aware of other cars, leave room when you're not sure where other cars are and we'll get along just fine.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  7. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Shut up you grandpa! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Greedy maneuvers (both accidents).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Öberg

Öberg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    *wall of text inc, sorry*

I was behind you (3rd or 4th) and saw this incident happen in-race, my first impression was that the BMW intentionally took your rear out and after watching the clip im even more sure of it.
    First part of the first video shows a possible misunderstanding, the BMW holding (defending?) the middle of the road line.
    You are faster so try to pass him on the right, he misunderstands or intentionally tries to block you by also swerving to the right, you correct and take the left line on the road again.
    This is the point where the incident should end however.
    At 19 seconds in the clip you are side by side, Skyline left and BMW right.
    At 21 seconds in the clip you (skyline) still maintain your straight line but BMW has now moved diagonally across the road on a collision course with your rear.
    Everything that follows is because the BMW turned left into you when he shouldve kept his car straight.
    I believe this was intentional as Nenad Kasapov is not a bad driver and can definitely control his car better than that.

To avoid making this a witchhunt its also worth mentioning that I passed and also got passed by Nenad a few times that race and there was never any contact or "unfair" driving.
    He is an aggressive and confident driver and if you make even the smallest mistake he will not hesitate to capitalize on it and even take some risk to get the pass (example the near spin pass-attempt at top of the mountain)
    I agree thats not a preferable place to overtake, specially not that turn that has heavy lateral movement making the cars prone to sliding, obviously he judged the risk/reward differently from most of us.
    For this "mountain-incident" however one should also consider that his BMW has an advantage on the top of the mountain whilst the skyline has an enormous advantage on the straights. I gained like 1-2 seconds on him on the straights, he took that back on the mountain.
    So his only real options for advancing position is to try to pass over the mountain where he is faster.
    If he doesnt try to pass on the mountain then every time he gets to Conrod Straight one or two skylines is gonna go past him and he will loose positions every lap, so I cant really blame him for trying.

TL;DR: BMW's fault, almost certainly intentional.
    Unjustified and unnececary but it was nothing more than a moment of frustration im sure.
    Was a good race overall, no hard feelings hopefully it stays clean for the entire race next time.
    Thanks to P.Kerenyi, N.Kasapov and D.Dettke for a good and exciting race!

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, and he did know that and gave the inside line up to your car, but as I stated that doesn't give you the entire track that just gives you the inside line. It is just as much your job as his to keep your inside line correctly and not push out into the outside line.

In multiplayer online racing I tend to subscribe to the mentality that this article (and by extension many non-professional real racing series do such as the SCCA and NASA, not the space NASA =P) pushes for non-professional/semi-professional racing endeavors: http://www.windingroad.com/articles/blogs/the-road-racers-guide-to-passing-etiquette/

Most of the time what differs is the definition of 'ahead' in which case the trailing car is expected to yield the line, however side-by-side cornering always involves both drivers leaving enough room so that they can both make it through the corner. In the first left hander he does pinch you ever so slightly but adjusts for that mistake going into the second left hander, which is the location where you fail to give space to the outside car and make contact with him that leads to the rest of the incident. You were not ahead at that point and did not have the entire corner exit as your line, you had just the inside line which you went beyond and then into the other vehicle.

11. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Just want to say that better tools to aid in situational awareness for those with single monitors would go a long way in preventing these kinds of situations. Things like a bigger and wider virtual mirror, the rFactor style triple mirror, or even some some kind of Helicorsa-lite indicators that show when somebody is to the left/right of you.

SA in racing games is really hard to get if you play with only a single monitor, and tools like the above help in achieving parity with the SA you have in real life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  12. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Then we see two different vids - coming from the first one above (long straight) theravenousbeast squeezed through probably pissed from the incident before (caused by his own impatience) then closing in Peter gave him a little shove trying to re-overtake (unwittingly I mean)..and after that "the beast" :) spinned him round on full purpose.
    His patronizing comment on top of it only shows a kinda arrogance that is inappropriate.
    Had to learn the same lesson myself outrunning someone during an online champ who was several seconds slower than me - made an energency pitstop to gain some time back (was shot off before) by doing some hotlaps. And as he slowed me down extremely I lost my patience trying to overtake him and caused a collision - was furios after, but the right way, as the more experienced driver would have been to increase the pressure to cause an error on his side (mostly working if you know what you're doing) - or in case just waiting for his pitstop - what I wanna say is, that as a skillfull, experienced driver you are in charge to do it the right way and not other way round cause YOU should have the foresight to exactly work it out for the right moment...
    An upset Ego doesn't give good advice - strong nerves and a determined heart do ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, the first hit on the straight was the fault from Nenad in the BMW when trying to defend/block the position a bit to late. The second that ended in the spin from peter seems like what peter already wrote - he doesn't see the BMW as the nissan has it's steeringwheel on the right side. Peter in the Nissan was moving to the Racingline and Nenad in the BMW tried to hold the same line as it is needed for the next corner...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Uh..Nenad :) didn't know it was him (and from the races I know you, you are actuallybetter than this)....all in all I just would say : Don't be so f****** ambitious both....all in all its a game, no gridgirls waiting , no trophy to win, no trophy- money to win or lose...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Exactly it's just a game, when I play hockey there is always that young buck who trying to prove he is a man and some even try to fight me as I am not a small guy (6.3 210 pounds ) but I laugh and tell them, " I got to work tomorrow. This is just a game"
    Life goes on :)

• Like Like x 1