FR X-17 new car physics update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lemmy, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Lemmy

Lemmy Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that all my old settings for this car where thrown out the window after the patch today.
    I can live with that, and start the trim process over again, no probs! But, is it supposed to be a car without any Traction Control at all from now on? Not so funny to drive this "F1" car completely without...

I have 0% TC available now as the field for those settings are all "greyed out", hence I have no availability to do any changes, just like with a car that's not supposed to have this feature. Is it supposed to be like this, or has the game bugged out and just flipped to bug the crap out of me?

Any input in this matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
    /Lemmy

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  2. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    It is supposed to be like that. You gotta either adjust or use artificial assist. Changing setup might help aswell, tinker with differential.

3. Lemmy

Lemmy Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the response!
    Ok, so it's supposed to be like this? You mean since today? It certainly wasn't like this before...
    It's for me not a matter of 'fine tuning' and fiddling with small stuff I'm talking about here really as I find it's crucial to have this feature to be able to drive these cars, like I have enjoyed them for a year now. If I want to race in a ranked server (or for my own pleasure on others) without any counter steering, no stability control and Factory ABS (which you are forced to do in the ranked servers), it's kind of impossible to drive this car if the TC now is completely gone!

If so, I figure my days of racing my favourite car class has come to an abrupt end... :( :eek::oops:

Anyone else find this 'improvement' a disaster?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  4. Paul49

Paul49 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    C'est censé être comme ça. "Vous devez ajuster ou utiliser l'assistance artificielle. Changer la configuration peut également aider, bricoler avec le différentiel.

i hope its a joke. i hope next patch to drive real F1 car like before patch:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I agree that factory TC was better - since it is a fantasy car and it had it before I don´t see why it has been removed either. This brings to light one of the inherent problems/features of RRE physics - powerful RWD cars break traction even in a straight line yet they can´t drift for toffee. AMS 2 is almost the opposite, cars are too planted under acceleration but there is a lovely yaw movement in the steering that allow catchable power slides and drifts.

Those that don´t like TC can always turn it to 0 and full driver aid 100% is too much so it is good to have the user definable factory option.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Lemmy

Lemmy Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I just want to add that I would very much like to know why the devs made this decision as I cannot fathom this call at all?
    As of now the class is a complete disaster (to my astonishment) to drive!

Such a waist and petty that is for these (used to be) exciting cars to drive... :(
    I just hope this is just a temporary glitch though. That's all...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    @Lemmy - just a thought - when the physics of a car is overhauled all your old set-ups become redundant and could even make the car impossible to drive. So... make sure you start off with the default set-up and go from there. [EDIT Sorry - just reread your post and the first thing you say is you threw out your old settings...]

I've suggested that there should be a warning in the game when the set-up you are using is older than the default. I hope they do this.

I know you've mentioned other issues you are having but this might be part of the problem...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I just had a run with the X-17 around Zandvoort and I quite liked it... literally gives me a headache though! I'm not saying you're wrong - these are just opinions.

I suppose the change was to bring it into line with all the other RR Formula cars, none of which have TC. They also don't have ABS but with the default set up I find that if I'm braking in a straight line and I stand on the brakes hard at top speed I can bring the car to a complete stop and not lock up at all. Same in the FR2.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Lemmy

Lemmy Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your thoughts on the issue @Skidmark !

"when the physics of a car is overhauled all your old set-ups become redundant and could even make the car impossible to drive"

Yes, I'm aware of that, and it was quite obvious when I first saw the changed settings over the ones that I made the day before, so naturally I started out with the new default settings. No problems with that at all. But, as I said before, the settings variables are not just changed, they have in this case reintroduced some parameter settings that was fixed before (spring for example), and more significant: they have cancelled the Traction Control completely by setting it to zero in all previously available fields. This has a higher impact on car behaviour than almost anything else for tuning.

I'm really puzzled (and very saddened) by this; is there a plan for different kind of ranked races with this car that will show up later? Is it just a fluke? Something else that I can't think of? I have no idea, but as of now my disappointment is overwhelming.

Whatever it is, I think it ruined the car behaviour completely! Maybe some die hard racers will dig this change, I don't know, but I will be forever lost if this is the new way of driving this car, and more people than just me I think :(
    The fun just went out fishing, or worse, gone with the wind...

?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Lemmy

Lemmy Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you're right when you say "I suppose the change was to bring it into line with all the other RR Formula cars, none of which have TC"

But the FR X-17 is a completely different animal to drive than all the others. Takes a lot more than medium skills to master these high powered cars with no TC at all. But I suppose you can be right about why this decision they seem to have made. But I don't get it. If you don't want any TC, fine, as it was before you could have chosen that. Not so anymore...

My love and joy is no more, and that's the sad fact

11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    When the Aquila and Silhouettes were updated, they lost factory ABS. The Silhouettes got it back a while later and that makes good sense since they are fantasy and free cars so beginners tend to use them.

I also hope factory TC is reinstated for this one too and we can wait and see what spec the forthcoming F1 2022 has.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    This update was a clean sheet which carried over nothing from the previous version. It therefore never started off with traction control or ABS, and I never felt the need to add it although it was considered. Worth remembering that a certain real world series outlawed traction control since 2008.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. Psychotik

Psychotik Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I like it a lot. I'm lazy, so I drove the previous version in "get real" with TC. I felt quite challenged when I saw this iteration had no TC at all but as Alex says, TC has been banned from F1 since many years.

I gave it a go yesterday in a quick run at Spa and for me the mechanical grip and downforce here are so that you don't need any TC. I tried soft tyres and spinned just once after Les Combes rethrottling too soon and too fast. Normal behaviour.

What I particulary like is the extreme linearity of the throttle response, allowing to really dose the power one puts on wheels (much better than in FR2). As with any RWD high powered race car, smooth inputs = smooth behaviour. The same goes with the front train, much more living and reactive than before, so you have to be more precise now.

I just tested soft tyres and I'm nor an alien neither a big fan of openwheels but I have to say this is a real joy to drive, much better than before. Well done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I was quite anxious about removal of TC since previous iteration was almost impossible to drive without it, but I find it surprisingly easy to not loose traction - not in a bad way, this kinda makes sense with those huge tires at the rear. Also like Psychotik said, throttle response is really, really pleasant. Of course, you still need to respect that massive amount of torque at exits, but it's manageable as long as you won't ask way too much from car.

15. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Feature. A racing slick tyre grip drops off very quickly once traction is broken; they don't handle excessive slippage well. A relatively narrow operating window is the sacrifice that has to be made in order to give superior grip for their intended usage.

Road car tyres don't behave like this and are much more progressive. Drift cars typically also use road-legal tyres.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Paul49

Paul49 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, sorry for my comment yersterday.. Today i have test the new F1 and now i think the car is better, more grip better sensibily....
    now i doing the same time before the last update,

PS: i have delete all my setup because i had a conflict the car cant going more than 300 KM/h. when i have delete my last setup it is fixed now.

Thx for the good job and have fun.

17. Lemmy

Lemmy Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much @Alex Hodgkinson for the eye opening report and clarification of the new build!
    Everything you say makes sense, and as you point out: "Worth remembering that a certain real world series outlawed traction control since 2008", which is completely true of course, and all the F1drivers actually did manage the transition surprisingly quickly back then as I recall.

But as I'm not a real F1 driver, I seem to have a real problem driving these beasts now as I've explained. Maybe I'm just too old for this game, or maybe one year of trying to learn sim racing is not sufficient, but I will try to find traction as you guys say can be done in this new iteration of the car if I just learn how to control the outputs better. So, I will definitely give it an honest shot before I surrender to other more easy driven F1 sims. Would be a shame though as I really like Raceroom, and this car in particular (a definite favourite sim, and as such I bought all the content a couple of weeks ago to expand the possibilities to join all sorts of combos).

Thanks to all you people who helped me understand how and why
    Cheers!

18. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    There is always the option of turning down the engine mode to a lower setting.
    As well as pegging the torque back which helps to make it more controllable it will also soften the throttle response.
    I'd recommend trying that out, and once you're lapping consistently at the lowest setting, go up to #2 until that's comfortable and so on.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lemmy

Lemmy Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the suggestions and tips @Alex Hodgkinson!
    I will for sure do as you suggest and try to relearn driving this open wheeler by stepping down the engine and see how that plays out. Maybe I can manage eventually, we'll see. Means that I'll have to go offline for some time and fiddle around on empty tracks, but definitely worthwhile if it turns out that I can adapt. I'll Keep my fingers crossed! :)

However, I want to underscore that I do appreciate the efforts you've made to make those cars more on par, I really do understand that at least!

Many thanks again! :)
    /Lemmy Old Fart

• Like Like x 2
  20. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that the tire textures aren't changing anymore based on the chosen compound. Same thing goes for the FR US.