Problem Stutter

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Racer74, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Racer74

Racer74 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am a little desperate because I have had this problem for 3-4 weeks now and cannot get it under control. Have already researched and tried everything possible, of course also here from the forum.

My problem is that after about 8-10 minutes of playing time Raceroom has picture stuttering about every 0.5 to 1.0 seconds, which makes it unplayable for me. The picture stuttering is accompanied by framedrops from previously constant 60fps then in the 50 fps range. This applies if the PC has not been switched on for a while. When I restart the PC, the problem starts after about 2-3 minutes. It is also noticeable in other games, I tested it e.g. with ACC and LFS.

My system is about 8 years old and worked fine until the problem occurred:
    Windows 10 64 bit, currently @ 3.8GHz
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
    MB: GIGABYTE Z77X-UD3H
    PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power E9 480W
    RAM: 32 GB DDR3 Corsair Vegenance
    3 x Dell S2715H @ 5760 x 1080

Other hardware:
    Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer, T3PA Pro Pedals, TH8A Shifter, TSS Handbrake, Oculus Rift, Buttkicker Gamer

All drivers are up to date.
    No MSI Afterburner or Riva Tuner is running.
    Raceroom profiles are new and freshly created.

Although my system worked perfectly with raceroom before this problem, I was desperate and already thought about getting the CPU, MB, RAM and PSU new.
    GPU not as the prices are too steep at the moment.
    But whether that is a solution is also questionable.

Do you still have an idea what I could do to get rid of the pictuter stutter?

Regards

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  2. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Try to reduce as many Windows background apps running as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Racer74

Racer74 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have already tested this but will do it again. Maybe I should throw some out of the autostart. There are some. Thank you for your response.

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    What kind of hard drive are you using? SSD or traditional?
    What values does task manager show in terms of CPU/memory/HD when the game is running?
    Are your temperatures under control?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Racer74

Racer74 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom is running from a samsung ssd. CPU is about 60-80% load and temp is around 45-50°C. GPU is about 50% load and temp is around 50°C. RAM is about 8-10 gb in use. Thank you for your response.

6. Racer74

Racer74 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Closing most of the background apps unfortunately did not change the situation with stutters.

7. Killg0reNL

Killg0reNL New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Do you use the otterhub overlay?

Or is it in the startupline in steam?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    So nothing is obviously overstressed, those temps are actually quite low, did you measure them in game in an actual race session? If not it might be worth installing throttle stop and using that to measure peak values and also experiment with overclocking.

I am not an expert by any means but it sounds like there is indeed another process getting in the way. The most likely could be an antivirus or firewall - are you using one apart from windows own protection? If so, maybe uninstall it and then try. I had that issue with zone alarm and moved to bit defender.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Racer74

Racer74 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am using Otterhud and Crewchief and already tested without running both with no success.
    I am using Logitech arx and got this values live during my usual gaming session. Behavior should lead to the conclusion that it could be an thermal issue but as of the measures it seems not the case. I only use windows defender, nothing else concerning virus software, no firewall software except windows firewall. Overcooking caused blue screens so I run at stock rates. Thank you both for the response and trying to help.

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    All I can suggest is running the game without any controller or controller profile eg just keyboard, no VR and all at min graphics and see if that does anything. Next step would be to partition the drive and do a clean windows install with just steam and RRE on that boot drive.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Racer74

Racer74 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    do you think it could be a Hardware issue? I will try without wheel connected just with keyboard as I did not tried this until now. If possible I prefer to avoid a fresh windows install as it would be very time consuming to get it back to the current state I think.

12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Creating a new partition on the same drive and installing windows plus steam plus raceroom should take less than an hour.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
  14. Racer74

Racer74 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    3 more things to try, thank you booth. Think I have an unused spare ssd somewhere that I can throw in and install a fresh win 10 with just the needed drivers, steam and raceroom. Also cleaning every corner of the pc is long overdue. There is some dust on the vents and the cpu cooler.

15. zorak

zorak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Racer74
    Are you running Vsync or any kind of VRR?
    You said the stuttering occurs when you are dropping below 60FPS and it could be a monitor sync issue. I had this problem with my 60hz monitor (would stutter after 10 min or so) and then changed to a freesync 144hz panel and the problem went away. I only get problems occasionally in LFS still where I stutters even at locked 100FPS and to fix it I have to reset the monitor to get It back 'in sync'

16. Racer74

Racer74 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am running triple @ 60Hz and Vsync enabled. I tried different settings in Nvidia CP for Vsync including off. Also turned it off in raceroom. Same result. How have you reset your monitor?

17. Racer74

Racer74 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have tested some more and have found a solution for now. After looking more into the temps I have realized that the gpu temp. is steady increasing up to 60C° while the gpu fan is not doing anything. Solution for now is using msi afterburner and manage the gpu fan with a custom curve to keep the gpu temp. around 40C°. I also realized a „clacking“ noise that comes from the gpu and occurs when a gpu fan is „starting“. For now I was able to play 20+ min. with no stutter :). But I am not sure what to do about the clacking noise.

18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Could be the fan blades are hitting some type of obstruction or that it is a bearing issue. Maybe take the casing cover off and observe the GPU on startup and through to game play to source the issue.

Seems the original hunch of overtemps is the most likely cause so perhaps you want to also try a different measuring tool in case it is more reliable. I use throttlestop for my laptop and you can set it up to see both CPU and GPU temps in real time in the taskbar. My peak temps on RRE in summer were around 75-85ºC for both chips and normal unstressed were around 30-35ºC as a benchmark.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Racer74

Racer74 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Idle temps are around 30-35 C° for the gpu and I would assume that 50C° shouldn’t be an issue but obviously it is. Maybe the gpu is already damaged because of this behavior?

20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Can you swap out the graphics card for another one even if it is lower performance just to see what happens?