How much would you be willing to pay to help fund a DX12/Vulcan Graphical upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Feb 13, 2022.

Tags:
?

If accountability would be in place, how much would you invest to have a graphical upgrade?

1. $5

2.7%
  2. $15

13.5%
  3. $25

12.2%
  4. $50

24.3%
  5. $100

9.5%
  6. $0

37.8%
  1. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. The mother of all does not exists. All games have their pro’s and con’s. :D

2. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Well there is more to it. You first need to install the DXVK by itself as far as I understand it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    No. Just copying those files.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  5. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    thats for a linux install
    , for windows just unzip and copy across to relevant folders

Andi

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Christian.
    This guide and specially the download is much better than mine.
    I had downloaded a wrong zip thing - hehe obviously.
    To not confuse too much I will delete my posts above.
    The unpack from your link include the needed dlls as can be seen here:

dlls.png

9. zed

zed Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    look like i have more challenge with my dual gpu setup:sweatsmile:

upload_2022-2-18_20-47-36.png
    i also have rx 570 but don't know why it take my nvidia card for rendering instead of amd when i add the file:
    upload_2022-2-18_20-43-51.png
    upload_2022-2-18_20-45-48.png

10. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Even if Sector 3 can afford it, moving to a brand new engine will take years of work. Not to mention very limited staff numbers. For instance, Kunos have money and men power to do whatever they want, and still, it took years to improve. You can only hope that Sector 3 is secretly working on a new sim title using the latest technology. Otherwise, I can't see it happening. I hate to tell Sector 3 that their ship is sinking whilst other sim titles are moving forward. I have a special place in my heart for Raceroom, but unfortunately, I had jumped the ship and moved forward with another sim title. I am not going into details about why or what. I already talked about this before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Just a reminder on that several years ago they announced a plan to assist SimBin(New) in developing GTR3 as a new title, and when GTR3 was completed, so was the plan, they wanted to harvest the fruits of their cooperation with them and inject GTR3's then-new engine into Raceroom.

It seems that idea has collapsed a long time ago. AFAIK there never was an update for that most likely collapsed strategy. I mean: none they ever had communicated to the public.

Maybe the whole idea of injecting a new engine into Raceroom is just an invitation for problems and issues, and another plan would work better. Here is a tale from the real sim world ( :) ):

Since 2011 or 2012 I am a player of The Hunter, which now is known as The Hunter Classic. After some years, players started to speculate about what the developer's ideas were regarding the visibly aging graphics. "The Hunter 2 it must be!" , was a popular demand. Which raised open conflicts between opinions, because back then the game had a micro-transaction business model, and costed constantly smaller or bigger ammounts of money. Players were financially heavily invested, and they feared that with a Hunter 2 they would be threatened with beign abandoned, and not beign able to play a sim world anymore that they had poured a lot of money into.

One day, the developer came along with the news that he had put together a new Hunter game, Call of the Wild is the name. And he NEVER said that it was a Hunter 2, and he said instead that the game had kind of a different orientation, targetted a bit of another player audience, was not meant to replace Classic Hunter. Good joke! Superclever! Actually, very good policy planning. And ti worked. Because the new game had improved graphics and got rid of the much hated micro transaction business mode, instead offered reserves and DLCs for a one-time payment. Transparent it now is. However, they did not switch off Classic. The two Hunter games coexisted side by side for some time until they sold the rights for the old game to I think a film studio, and that new rights owner keeps Classic going - and going stronger, and kills the bugs. And since aroudn four years now. Many had declared the game dead five yeras sago. How wrong they were! Its maybe healthier than ever, regarding the bug-squasching efforts by the new studio at least.

Why am i telling this story? Because I think there is some good way to follow. It may not be needed to think in terms of a new Raceroom replacing the old one, or the old one getting boosted and by that replacing the old version, maybe at the cost of worse technical performance especially for players with older hardware (when they cannot or do not want to afford new hardware: just look at the prices for GFX cards, its insane...) or with VR in use, which is demanding on the hardware anyway. Maybe Sector3 would be best advised to silently develope a new title, and one day releasing it, surprising us all with it, and leaving it running parallel to Classic Raceroom. Call of the Wild now celebrates its fifth birthday, it is very successful, has seen many DLC releases - and the Classic Hunter also has been enjoying a second life since then, not declining, but growing stronger than it was in the last years before Call of the Wild. Both games flourish. Playre sstarted to coluntarily anconstantly migrate form t he old to the new game, they seem top have appreicated tremedosuly to be left with the freedom to just swithc back and forth at their own atste and speed, not viollentl ybeing forced form one to the platform, with no way to go back. The way it went was the best thing that could happen to Hunter Classic in its last state before Call of the Wild came out, because really new life and wind has been blown into it, while Call of the Wild now has 2.5 million active players across five platforms per month, their anniversary video claims. Letting the old one live did not damage the new Hunter game. Far form it. And sicne it now runs almost free of charges, Classic Hunter is a great advertising for the new game as well. Peopplce play it for free, because it is free, and they get curious for the newer game, which they maybe never would have played because it costs.

I could very well imagine that actually Sector3 has something like this in the making already. The content pool of Raceroom is so huge and good and famous and unique in the genre, it would be insane and stupid to throw all that out of the window, just for "updated graphics engine". I would go as far to say there is no excuse for doing that. That would be an extremely bad trade that might even piss many people away from playing the new "Raceroom 2". In all seriousness, how do I do with the two Hunter games now? Well, actually I play BOTH, while I was left the freedom to do the migration at my own speed and choice- that was the best thing they could have done to connect to people like me. The old I play for the better AI and many good memories and places I now know so very well, and the new I play for the vastness of the world and much improved visual presentation. And obviously many, many players do like I do. It could be like this with Raceroom "1 and 2", too. A successor must not "annihilate" the predecessor, nor must the classic game made unplayable by enforcing a new engine into it that for some or many players maybe will not work well.

Kein Entweder-Oder, sondern ein Sowohl-als-auch. Raceroom could be just left as it is, it is stable and poklsiuehd enough, and free of severe bugs. A constant ongoing caretaking is not really needed, except maybe the server maintenance (which I do not care for and do not know in Raceroom).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Reporting back.
    As can be seen it didnt work enormously good out.
    After I had copied the 6 dlls into the x64 folder the game completely crashed as soon as Raceroom discovered something was not completely as last time :p

So no DXVK and Vulkan for me:(

m3_DXVK-Crash.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Call me silly but i want my sims to look as real as when i look out the windscreen of my rl cars!

They all drive pretty well for my stationary rig with toy steering wheel and pedals so now i want that massive visual leap to UE5 Matrix demo visuals and Ai from Elon Musk to finish the simulation to the ultimate visual, driving and racing experience.

I have enough money to not worry about spending a hundred here or there to support these dev teams, i'm sure the larger community would buy the upgrade so just make it happen already!!

Simulation is to "simulate" the real thing and we cant do that with cartoon visuals!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  14. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    not sure years is what it would take but yes a new title with the latest bells and whistles would be nice

although the market for RRE publisher might be a bit scary right now with strong existing titles who do very well in the graphical department (not only pure cosmetics but weather effects, night&day transition etc)

15. zed

zed Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    f
    from my testing you only need 2 file to make dxvk work:
    d3d9.dll
    dxgi.dll
    also what gpu do you have?
    you need gpu with Vulkan support to work
    check in gpu-z and see everything right in gpu driver.

• Like Like x 1
  16. zed

zed Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    give me cookies:grin:

upload_2022-2-20_20-17-6.png

how to do it:
    in Environment Variable add this to system variable:
    Variable name: DXVK_FILTER_DEVICE_NAME
    Variable value: the name of gpu
    the name is little tricky. for example the name of rx 570 was "Radeon RX 570 Series"
    for 750ti the name was "GeForce GTX 750 Ti"
    maybe useful for someone.

next step, hove some glitch in someplace and don't know what cause it yet , look like some effect....
    + black mirror

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for trying to help.
    The error could probably be caused both by my old g-card (GTX 1060 6Gb) but also by my old driver - hehe that I refuse to upd :D Because it has been working extremely stable and giving higher fps than some of the few newer drivers I have tried.
    But thank you :)

EDIT:
    Ok now I have tried copying only the 2 mentioned dlls into the x64 folder.
    The good news: The game dont crash.:D
    The Bad news: The game dont start.:(

So eventhough I have seen it mentioned that my GTX 1060 should be compatibl enough - then I guess its my archaic driver.:rolleyes:

Remark: If I had been struggling with fps in Raceroom I would probably try to upd the driver and check this Vulkan thing again - but because I can run Raceroom at reasonable fps (60-80) then I just say Enough for now:D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  18. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I just did this fix and it works amazing! Now from 70-maybe 100fps to 120-141 (capped) and a very nice smooth feeling at 5760x1080.
    Really easy and honestly not sure why this doesn't become the default way the game is set to launch.
    Also as a side fix, i now have RTSS OSD working again.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  19. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    because some people get an fps drop using this

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    For a lot of people it even crashes at launch.