How much would you be willing to pay to help fund a DX12/Vulcan Graphical upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Feb 13, 2022.

Tags:
?

If accountability would be in place, how much would you invest to have a graphical upgrade?

1. $5

2.7%
  2. $15

13.5%
  3. $25

12.2%
  4. $50

24.3%
  5. $100

9.5%
  6. $0

37.8%
  1. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    But it supports night and weather, looks okay and isn't very taxing on hardware. No?

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Yes,ok,but in the future,we will discuss the same again.:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Without being fully into this then I think some of you confuse this DX11/12 & Vulkan thing.
    As I understand it then porting a game from DX9 to DX11 do NOT (often) need a LOT of rewriting the code.
    While porting from DX9 to DX12 or Vulkan ALLWAYS need a lot of rewriting code.
    The reason is as I understand it that DX12 and Vulkan allow a lot of commands/informations to be executed much nearer to the HW (read G-card).
    Thats at least the way MS and the group behind Vulkan does hype the advantages of their new APIs.:D

And because older games (like Raceroom) are not prepared to this "near" thing then it needs a lot of rewriting work.;)

4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Wrong , many games use this , or a tweaked version off the pmotor , even rf2 uses a tweaked version , so before you call some thing outdated do your research , our gmotor was split from the rf branch q good while ago but has tweaks and updates .... have a llok at pcars files you may be surprised to see gmotor in there

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    If you argue by this all sims are based on the gmotor engine. Madness/Rf2/Rf1/PC Cars1+2/AMS/AMS2 only Kunos have writen a own one for AC.The rest i dunno...
    By the way - i hate Rfuktor2:D

6. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Andy,
    port it to whatever engine you want.It can only get better!
    :)

7. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Ahh´m?
    How about the most huge 24/7 MP sim existing?;)

8. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    You mean Iracing/ former Papyrus /Nascar 2003/GPL etc. ?
    Yes a own one too.
    I started with GPL + Nascar + a 3DFX Vooddoo Card,oh yeh,the old times...:cool:

9. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The meaning is this:
    The devs of NR2003 and later iRacing have never seen or been interrested in even 1 single line of code from ISI/gMotor.
    The guys from Papyrus would probably have had a hard time NOT laughing if they had been offered it:p

EDIT: Added NOT to laughing. Otherwise the sentence is plain strange :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  10. mclaren777

mclaren777 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I already run RaceRoom within a Vulkan layer and the difference is dramatic.

• Informative Informative x 4
  11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    This same discussion has been had across multiple threads on this forum. That means the forum is more optimised for multi thread use than the game is!

We have seen that variations of the same physics engine are running in different DX, UE and Madness graphics environments to varying degrees of success - I´ll again ask whether ACC can be considered a well optimised game for modern PCs considering it will suck up all available processor and graphics card resources but with less FPS than RRE.

For me, the elephant in the room is whether RREeventually transitions or is replaced by another game and what happens to our VRP in that case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mclaren777

mclaren777 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    RaceRoom is probably going to get to version 0.9.9 and then they are going to announce RaceRoom 2. ;)

13. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for showing this.
    Pretty amazing :)
    Is this the solution where you replace some dlls and vupty then the game just runs via Vulkan?
    Because I saw the discussion in AMS2 and most people said there wasnt much or any difference changing the dlls.

14. mclaren777

mclaren777 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    You literally place a couple of files into the game's root directory. I believe I followed the steps in this video...

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thanks will try it tomorrow - and report back.
    Hopefully it will also work in Win7:D

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I doubt there's much left of gMotor in Madness engine. If I'm not mistaken, the first game on that engine was NFS Shift and it drives nothing like gMotor titles. And that was 12 years ago.

17. mclaren777

mclaren777 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Sadly, Project Cars and Automobilista 2 both drive more like NFS Shift than the other gMotor games on the market. :(

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I don’t agree. AMS2 has evolved much and it is a great racer.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Ian Bell recently stated that much of the pMotor 2.0 suspension models (created originally by the ingenious Terence Groening) were ported directly into the Madness Engine and remain such to this day. The suspension model also remains one of the strong points of R3E, whereas in some other sims that use different in-house suspension models the cars feel like driving hovercrafts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  20. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I hope this thread doesn't derail into an argument over other games. All racing sims have their pros and cons and their audience.

• Agree Agree x 2