How much would you be willing to pay to help fund a DX12/Vulcan Graphical upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Feb 13, 2022.

Tags:
?

If accountability would be in place, how much would you invest to have a graphical upgrade?

1. $5

2.7%
  2. $15

13.5%
  3. $25

12.2%
  4. $50

24.3%
  5. $100

9.5%
  6. $0

37.8%
  1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Each to their own, to me RF2 looks the worst of all racing sims, as if it is a cartoon.

The Madness engine is truly shocking, I mean who would want to have dynamic and historic weather, 3d vegetation, VR support, multiple light sources and all of that running at a decent FPS on an average system?

Are you guys maybe critcising the way the cars drive in the games that use it? If that´s so then maybe better to blame the workers than the tools they use; perhaps if Reiza had taken on more SMS staff at the beginning who knew how to use the engine properly then they wouldn´t have been going up blind alleys for several years experimenting. If SMS themselves had stuck to developing one game and making it better, like RRE, RF2 and AC instead of cash grabs things would have been different.

5 minutes in the new Formula Junior on AMS2 will change a lot of people´s minds about the game as it is a fantastic little gem of a car, perhaps the RRE MX5 of AMS2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Depends which track you refer to as cartoon in rf2

spa nordschleife and BTTC content looks quite good to me

I also use Reshade where I feel the need and the graphical experience on 4K tv or VR is awesome

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
  3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that's exactly why people criticize it, because that's what makes a game a sim. It's impossible for us to know where the issues lie, but this engine was in use for many years (PC1 came out in 2015), two different studios used and improved it, yet the quality of simulation is still not there, 8 years later. To me this doesn't look like people are the only ones to blame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried the Junior or Retro F1s recently? I´d say they are on a par with the best cars in any other game. Of course there is a lot of turd too and we will see if non single seater cars get better over time or not.

There is plenty of duff content in ISI engined games too, perhaps because of the business model of churning out content to sell DLCs.

5. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Yes, there are some amazing videos out there with visuals I have never been able to replicate on my own modest system. That´s the issue with games like RF2 and AC, you can spend hours faffing around with settings and mods whereas other ones just look good out of the box.

6. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Once you are into Reshade it takes literally minutes to set things to your taste

and it takes seconds to drop an ini file into the Game folder and apply it

that’s for RF2 with AC there are dozen of ppfiltets out there if you are really bothered doing yours

I own PC2 and AMS2 and if agree that the madness engine is a great piece of kit I would not say out of the box perfect
    I had to play with color saturation and also put some Reshade time to get it to look gorgeous indeed

anyway I feel we are digressing from the point of this thread

Unless I missed something very obvious nothing in Jean-François recent interview was suggesting an overall graphics effort and that is the bit worrying me right now for RRE

On top of the poor VR experience it delivers

7. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Agreed.

The improvements to the Formula Juniors perplexs me. On one hand, you have these old cars on bias ply tires, and they feel amazing! They are some of the best feeling cars I've ever ran, but then you have Caterham, a similar car on modern tires. The Caterham didn't get any updates since AMS2 launched and still feels like poo. Being on a modern tire one would think the 270's, 360's and 620's would feel great, but they don't. Reiza needs to get the new physics on everything ASAP.

8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    That´s not strictly true as there have been rounds of updates on all cars, just the most recent is missing on the Caterhams.

As modding is now being embraced on AMS2 it will be interesting to see if some of the bugbears with how cars drive can be overcome by a different way of thinking or if it is ingrained in the game. The Madness engine for now seems best matched to low downforce cars with mechanical grip since the slides can be managed quite well whereas RRE does a much better rendition of aero cars.

9. Iain Richmond

Iain Richmond New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I play all the sims alongside RRE mentioned in this thread; RF2, ACC, AMS2. Each has its strengths, & weaknesses, appealing to a variety of taste’s & preferences. It has nothing to do, with your one sided ‘fanboy’ statement, that someone would enjoy driving AMS2. I accept that it has its issues, but it is improving through a dedicated & small development team, & an ever increasing modding community. It all depends on one’s expectations, be they realistic or not. RRE remains a solid & very enjoyable sim, despite its old engine; but we’ve seen an acknowledgment from the devs, that they’ve recognized this, & are looking to take the next step. This can only be the right way forward, for RRE.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Karol Mały

Karol Mały Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I see a tendency to praise [insert current forum sim] and crap on [insert the other sims].
    It's the same on every sim's forum :/
    Can't we just enjoy all the different sims that we have now? Surely all of them have their strengths and weaknesses.
    I appreciate AMS2 for the awesome immersive weather and graphics while racing at dusk/dawn and great performance.
    I also like RRE for the robust multiplayer out of the box while not costing 100s of $,

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    You used to do this for rF2, now S3 have you suckling their teat hey.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ⅀ℕiↅϻΔ

⅀ℕiↅϻΔ Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    YES, I would pay more than $50 for a good, fair and interesting racing sim.
    As I've been playing RaceRoom for 10 years and before that I played GTR EVO, Race07.
    I'd like to see some really big advancements like maybe DX12+, a better more realistic physics engine and the completion of vehicle classes.
    For example the DTM1995 Calibra and/or Group 2+4 cars
    To me it just feels like they keep copying/pasting more and more GT3 stuff and then selling new liveries and that's it.
    I'm amazed to see that the Porsche 944, a true cult car, has found its way into the Race Room. I would love to see and drive more cars like this.
    Also, they should stop making this the Free To Play Destruction Derby for kids.
    In my opinion, like in Gran Tourismo, they should add a driver's license to prevent idiots from joining online servers and destroying the enjoyment of the game for other players.

13. Nauseumster

Nauseumster Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    upload_2023-7-15_7-14-12.png upload_2023-7-15_7-14-27.png
    upload_2023-7-15_7-15-34.png

ive spent more money for less.. id pay to have raceroom drag a decade forward for sure. some intersting content in it but it is like opening a window to 2010...

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1