Automobilista 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RoccoTTS, May 25, 2019.

1. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    CPU 40-50% GPU 70-80%

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    AMS2 definitely makes use of multi core CPU´s so maybe it was a reference to Raceroom´s CPU bottleneck.

I´d say it is one of the most optimised/least resource hungry racing games around, the main issue seems to be with VR during night cycle and too many lights, but that has been mitigated by the new max opponents visible setting. What´s missing is DLSS and AMS downscaling compatibility but to play at 1080p it´s not even needed most of the time with a mid range RTX card and series 11 or later i5 or i7 the game runs fine at 90 fps or more with high graphics settings.

The in game stuttering tends to be related to online ranked server issues, if it is not that then probably something wrong with the user´s system.

3. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Still trying to find source of stutter, do these numbers look ok or do they suggest a bottle neck? This screen shot was taken mid stutter. Has anyone else here experienced stuttering at Galeao Airport? (my worst track)

Attached Files:

4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    @Muzarati I would look at frame synchronization. Turn vSync on or off, turn FPS cap on or off, etc.

5. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Yeah done all that, where I ended up has the most consistent frametime. No obvious sign of a bottleneck then? The stutter appears at the same place on the tracks each lap which suggests to me a texture or calculating issue ?

6. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    On your screen the frametimes are perfect, so my guess is it's something else, something that happens after the frame generation. For example, I saw stutter in Raceroom with uncapped FPS when FPS were 250+. I don't know where it even comes from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    AMS = All Mighty Stutter!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Le Mans Ultimate got more players today than AMS2, Rfactor2 and RRE put together and similar to ACC.

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I guess maybe on a 10 yr old CPU and 8 yr old GPU there may be issues but that is hardly AMS's fault, haha

10. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Ha ha, yeah and that explains all the other users with the same issue on way newer/better hardware than mine! The fact that my 10 yr old CPU and 8 yr old GPU run it with plenty of headroom at a constant frametime and good fps says something don't ya think?

11. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    So are talking about AMS1 or 2?
    Doesn't matter though really because both run very well and AMS2 is know for being the easiest to run and has great VR frame consistency.

12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    This is an AMS2 thread? Google stuttering in AMS2...you'll find there's plenty...

14. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Maybe monitor more than just the overall CPU and actually look at each core, when chasing issues i have my OSD like this to see everything.
    Are you playing on a mechanic drive? Is you ram stable? What is Windows doing as the stutters happen? There is so much that can cause issues and when ive had those completely smooth frametime stutters its always been on my end.

Attached Files:

15. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Yeah i guess having the many different configurations of PC's and the stuff people do on their PC's im sure there are some very broken operating systems and then people blaming the games :eek:

16. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    RasmusP on Racedepartment helped me understand CPU bottlenecks. Sure your 16.6ms screenshot doesn't look like a bottleneck doesn't mean there isn't one occurring.

"So you can still be CPU limited with an overall CPU load of only 12.5%, which would mean a single thread application using that one core to the maximum.
    However due to the averaging from TaskManager, you'll see ALL CPU cores used to some extend and get the impression of the CPU having some massive headroom."

Just search his name and CPU bottleneck on RD and you can find him heling many understand stutters.

17. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Blaming the end user for any issue is very convenient for a number of reasons, but it's not always true. Games can have issues even on not broken systems. Just because a game usually runs good and has good performance doesn't mean that there can't be some weird unexpected interactions between the game and some of the software or hardware.

18. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Yes true, but also blaming the game and sitting waiting for a fix while the fix could well be on the user end is not the smartest.

I've had the completely smooth frametime stutter here in R3E (I'm sure you can find the posts i made in frustration) and it turned out to be on my end. From what I've seen its nearly always on the user end in established titles and only sometimes an update brakes certain hardware.

But don't be silly and not look within. That's also a great way of looking at life! Start within ;)

19. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Stutters are not random and not on every track, the ones that have this stutter occur at the same point on each track, some tracks run perfectly fine with absolutely no stutters (Adelaide is one) This suggest to me it is track related. Thanks anyway for your input.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Use Nvidia control panel to cap the frame rate in game at 30fps. If there is no stutter then increase it by 5fps until it appears and let us know the results.

Your processor is not latest gen but has similar stats to my previous i7 8750H and there was no stutter on single player there.

Is your hard drive really not an SSD though? If so that´s also a critical think to upgrade as of course you are likely to get stutters reading from an older model. Mechanical drives never lasted me more than 4 or 5 years before slowing down dramatically.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024