Automobilista 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RoccoTTS, May 25, 2019.

1. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    If the stutters were random, then maybe but as I said, not every track has stutters and the ones that do are at the same place on the track each time.

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Is there any reason to stick with a prehistoric disc drive in 2024? SSD prices are now reasonable and the performance and reliability gain for all tasks, apart from gaming, is the biggest bang for buck upgrade possible. You don´t need the latest procesor or 40 series card to run AMS2 well but at least use an SSD for Windows and Steam and keep the old drive for a back up of personal files and stuff like that, if need be otherwise it´s like comparing USB 1.1 to USB2 and booting up Windows or loading tracks will take much less time. It could be the cause of the stutters too if there is data transfer of track data for instance.

You could have the task manager on to see if there is are any spikes in CPU, graphics or HD usage that coincide with the stutters but try what I suggested with the Nvidia FPS cap first and see if that helps as it is free and takes ten seconds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I don't think he's doing that.

How did you fix it?

4. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Stutter seems to remain with cap at 30fps although at that fps graphics aren't as fluid anyway?
    No obvious spikes in CPU, GPU or HD that I can see, the only thing that show some spikes is the Ethernet?

5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, i cant remember. Ive upgraded every component on my side multiple times so it could have been i upgraded it away.
    Im sure i posted about it here though but i dont have time to find the posts sorry.

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    In ranked MP it is a known issue as the game sends data - maybe to Steam about the ranking details, every 5 minutes or so but I have only ever had it in SP on a couple of tracks like Glen turn 1 and it can be fixed/mitigated by capping FPS. That issue went away when I upgraded to a newer PC but the ranked MP stutter remains and affects everyone (2 or 3 freezes in quick succession).

I believe AMS2 can be run offline so perhaps give that a go in SP mode and see if it helps. If it is indeed an internet issue then there is likely also some sort of interaction with the HD too as there must be some sort of data transfer. Maybe a friend can lend you another HD to test with?

Also, are you using the on screen Steam FPS counter? What FPS do you normally get when uncapped? Is it stable or does it fluctuate a lot. Perhaps installing the on screen data software people use when benchmarkink graphics cards on yotube could shed some more light on what hardware is affected by the spikes. Are you using throttlestop or any GPU software apart from Nvidia control panel?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  7. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I have been using reshade which has a fps counter, disabled that which made no difference, also msi afterburner. FPS uncapped 120 -140 FPS, settings through Nvidia inspector & control panel.
    Also going offline made no difference

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    That´s a decent FPS then apart from the stutters! Assuming you are on at least a 144hz monitor. What about stuff like Gsync and temperatures?

I still reckon it is a data transfer either by HD or internet issue as you are clearly not struggling to play the game normally. Try playing offline and see if that changes anything. Also, does it happen when you don´t acitvate any AI cars and it is just you on track?

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Remove reshade!

10. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately monitor is only 60hz with no Gsync but run with vsync on, tried running offline, made no difference. Temps all good. Removing reshade made no difference.
    I was wondering if the 60hz monitor was not fast enough especially when it has to draw large or certain textures?

11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    So in this case you might as well cap your FPS in the control panel at 58FPS because you are not going to get more FPS and that will also tax your pc less. Actually, I wonder how the FPS counter could show more FPS than this as usually the monitor refresh is normally the limit, especially when you have VSYNC ON. With Vysnc off and a game FPS cap in Nvidia control panel things might be better.

Another question I have is what type of stutter you are getting. Is it the slideshow slow motion effect or is it the violent one where the game totally freezes and you find your car in the wall or off the track as no inputs worked for a a few tenths of a second. The first is generally on the user´s side whereas the second could be more the game´s fault.

12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Does capping your FPS at 58 look good? Aren't you getting lost and desynced frames that way?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Do you see a network spike correlated to stutter even in offline?

14. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Normaly I run vsync on, refresh rate is 60hz, also capped in NVI at 60fps. I found that this gives me the most stable frametime. Stutter is probably the slow motion sort, inputs are not affected at all

15. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Not sure what you mean by this?

16. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    No

17. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    The Steam FPS counter should not be showing a higher FPS than the capacity of your monitor, especially if Vsync is on. That´s why I am confused with how you said before you were getting 120-140fps.

18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I ran F1Gp on a 286 back in the day and I was lucky to get 10 FPS but it was playable. The game had a baked in cap at 30FPS. 60hz was the gold standard for flat monitors up until a couple of years ago and it was good enough back then as less PCs were powerful enough to generate more FPS anyway and if they did it would be choppy as they couldn´t sustain it. Our OP will surely be happy with a stable 60FPS and no slideshow on any tracks but I have a feeling the issue is on his side and not Reiza´s.

When I upgraded, the slideshow I had on AMS2 and for that matter in RRE at Spa and NS24h practically disappeared and now I only get spikes/freezes when people join lobbies.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  19. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    No, I don't mean "58 FPS is too low". I mean showing equally paced 58 FPS on a 60Hz fixed refresh monitor will result in unequal delay between when a frame is generated and when it's shown, and this delay will change constantly from 0 ms to 16 ms in a span of one second. I never tried it myself (only used vSync), that's why I'm asking if it actually looks fine.

Same as today, it depended a lot on the game and settings.

20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    People recommend capping frame rate a couple of FPS below the monitor´s maximum refresh rate and I believe the reason is to prevent that but only use one method, which is why I recommended switching vsync off and capping it using Nvidia panel. This fellow also talks about using the latency limiter but not sure about non Gsync monitors.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024