Ideas And Suggestions! (features and game mechanics)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heppsan, Mar 10, 2015.

1. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Just my opinion, but I don't like that helicorsa app at all. It's not what I want on my screen when racing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Agree, I try to keep it as realistic as possible and the Hud is off, but to be more aware in multiplayer and not ruin other people race I turn on the position and the map so I know if someone is close at all time.

The "incoming missile!!" arrows going all over the hud I don't want, just look in your mirrors like driving a real car.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    To the other side - is it possible in AC to forbid the virtual mirror in MP? Maybe it would be a nicer option to only allow cockpit view and use those Mirrors.

I really don't see a big need for any option that shows the position of an opponent. Most of the time i'm driving online and in the most overtaking situations i can drive door by door without any help. I don't use the Virtual Mirror - only my FOV is set a bit higher to 1.3 so i can see the left mirror in most cars.

Situational Awareness doesn't start when the opponent is on your side. It starts when you see that your opponent is close enough to get in an overtaking-position. If you notice that, you exactly know where the other car is.

For sure there are situations where someone doesn't see the opponent - but those situations happens in real life, as you can see year by year in Le Mans and 24h Nordschleife.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Sky but I find that Helicorsa thing, the most unrealistic of everything that's been mentioned here. I don't even like the red arrows that are not intrusive at all so go figure.

I felt like crying for that gearbox :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    A few days ago there was an argument about player numbers in R3E.Thinking about that a little bit I came to a small conclusion.My suggestion is to ditch the Free model and pack everything that was free plus DTM 13 into a 10€ starting pack similar to iracing.This way people who are genuinely interested in the game will get a big starting boost and also it will steer clear from the hands of people who are only into it to cause mayhem.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Why would you even want to? To make it more likely to get shoot off the track by somebody?

To demand aids for better SA, like virtual mirror, can be discussed about. But to debate to not allow virtual mirrors, makes no sense at all. Its pointless. Its even more pointless than to prevent people using ABS and TC even in cars that have it (and on the few occasions I do some hotlapping on the Nordschleife in MP, I immediately leave the server if the server admin has prohibited use of ABS or TC in a GT3 car).

No matter how often you press a button to look to the side or into the side mirrors (that do not react to yourself moving the head to change the viewing angle a bit, btw) - no chance, absolutely no chance that you can ever reach the visual oversight and situational awareness throughout the race and in tight, big packs like in the first laps on just 1-3 PC monitors that you would get from real life. This must not even be discussed! ;)

There is so much complaints about open server rowdy driving - some do it intentionally, some do it due to lacking skill, sometimes not mastering their car, sometimes not understanding what is happening around them. I would have assumed that everything that helps to cure the latter group a bit and provides them with remedies, is welcomed. But I get the impression that people actually enjoy getting engaged in accidents. But why then the complaints about open server racing's often inferior skill standards, no matter the sim?

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Its just an idea I promote, one of several possibilities one could imagine, in order to at least to get ANYTHING. I find that app now quite well-done and good, and by my earlier explanations I disagree that a trick increasing a more relaistic level of awareness necessarily is "unrealistic" in itself. The tool itself is unrealistic. The effect it has in the bigger picture -helps for more realism. I once have suggested to have those left-right warnings flashing up as simple bar-shaped lights on the side of the screen. Like Flavourlicious said to have it as to LEDs in the cockpit mirror. Its all the same principle.

There is a spotter app done by some modder in AC, unfortunately I never managed to get it running, but the AC crowd says by majority that it works wonders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm this debate about aids and apps that create an advantage, and/or don't replicate the real world car categories could go on forever. I have, after many years of trying never, repeat never, have I been able to replicate real world racing from my PC, no matter how realistic the simulation is claimed to be, because it's a simulation and nothing can replicate reality 100%. I have participated in heated debates at RD over this topic, and others like realistic FOV.

The one thing that is constant about simracing is it's only the developers take on what the game should look and feel like, if you look at all the next gen sims they all have there own feel, there own way of getting the physics to make their car model come to life, and all claim to have the best formula. But the reality of it is that no matter how much effort and research that they put into their respective sims, a high level of the real world physics translation will be lost when it is converted to code for the PC. Take tyre models for example, until such times as the devs can emulate the heat spread and movement in the tyre carcasses through the different layers of rubber and nylon belts we will never have a life like tyre model.

My solution to this is but a dream, and would take ALL the devs to team together combining their abilities, skills & knowledge to develop the best sim possible, because from my point of view each sim has it's good points which replicate close reality, but have many bad points which take away from the realism and hinders immersion.

It's up to the individual simracer to make his/her game immersion what they want it to be to get the most satisfaction from their time behind the wheel, no 2 people are exactly alike (even twins) so we all have our own opinions, likes and dislikes of what makes a sim realistic or not. Sometimes we just have to "agree to disagree" and move on, which is what I will do now, Cheers.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Sixx

Sixx Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    @Insaneozzy
    Thanks for the suggestion. You're right. I was surprised. I just completed a 30 minute single player WTCC race at Zandvoort (extremely fun track, btw) with full practice and qualifying with the Adaptive AI. I was 3rd in practice but eked out the poll in qualifying by 0.108 of a second. I had a terrible start and fell to 5th but managed to retake the lead around lap 5 or 6. I eventually won the race by about 0.600 of a second and the AI was all over me the for the whole race even passing me on 3 or 4 occasions causing me to fight to retake the lead. It was probably the most fun I've had against the AI so far.

I had heard that the Adaptive AI was not very good and it took way to long for them to adapt and provide challenging competition, so I just avoided it. I'm gonna give it a try with a few more tracks and hope that it continues to provide this much fun. Once again, I thank you for the tip.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Sixx

Sixx Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    @Insaneozzy
    Also, I completely forgot to thank you for recommending Mr Belowski's "Crew Chief" App. It's pretty slick. I just need to tinker with the volume settings so I can hear it properly during a race.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    @Sixx
    All good mate, glad the adaptive AI provided you with close racing that is challenging, they will get faster and harder to beat the more you race them, because the AI use your fastest laptimes and race lines to base their times on, the faster you go the faster the AI go. Ive been beaten by the AI several times now :( but it was extreme fun coming from mid pack to a top 5 finish.

Yep Mr Belowski is the MAN :D and his "Crew Chief" is now a permanent component of my Simracing in RRE ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Actually, you can run your own liveries in AC online, you need to have your steam id # available, its the 17 digit number.
    When you set their server up and your choosing the skins for the cars, you can allocate a steam Id # to that livery, so each time you join you get your own custom livery. It's a bit time consuming to setup, but once you've done it a few times it's fairly simple to implement
    Cheers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    My guess is that with a 1.3 FOV you loss all the realism you may search by not using any visual help ;)
    1.3 FOV in R3E should only be used for very wide screen placed very narrow (or triple screen).
    With this kind of FOV, you have a much better side view than with a narrow FOV.

Because of my setup, (42" @ 1.20m of my eyes), I use a more realistic FOV settings of 0.5 or 0.6 in R3E (something like 30/35° in AC). And with this the side view is not the same. Even when I turn the view left/right (button mapped on my wheel) I still have blind spot on my side.

Most of the time I can manage to see if an opponent came close and can anticipate where it should be. But when you drive in a pack of 4-5-6 cars, it's getting harder to know where all the car are and can be. It's just impossible to be focus on your own driving line and follow every opponent around you.

One thing R3E do not very well is the car mirrors. They don't give you the correct view related to you're point of view. Car mirrors and virtual mirror are the sames. You can't use right/left mirror as they should : being able to see cars that are on your rear side. When I look left/right to see on the side I can see my side mirrors, but they give me the same picture as the virtual mirror => they are useless.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0

15. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    As an optional feature, i'm fine with it. But i'd never race on these servers. This option would give an advantage to triple screen users (even without native support for it) or users with a big screen, because they could directly spot an opponent without the need for using the look left/right button.

I'm just driving with one 24inch monitor and with a more realistic FOV (i'm using 0.5x). With this screen setup i can't see the mirrors of the car. So using the virtual mirror is essential to me. Without it i would drive almost blind. And raising the FOV to "fisheye-values", only to have the mirrors in sight, isn't an option for me.:p

As a side note: It's kinda strange that many simracers think that virtual mirrors are unrealistic, but almost noone is complaining about a "look back" button. Try to look back in a real race car. ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

You know what... sometime when I drive in my car my thumbs try to hit the look back button when I'm looking at the mirror and want to have a better view :confused:
    Fu##ing habits :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  17. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    This is really true (and it's way worst on single seater, on witch vibration are even worst).
    But you're still able to turn your head more easily and quickly than any button you may push on your wheel.
    When you're in a turn, with a opponent on your side, IRL it's not a big deal to give a eye on your side while turning the wheel and keeping your line. But try to look right/left with pushing a button in the same situation in game: it's way more difficult. One, because pushing a button while turning the wheel (and manage to keep the car at the limit to be fast) is not an easy task. Two because it's not smooth at all and disorienting, your point of view is totally changed in a fraction of seconds. And while you're looking on the side you don't see anything of the front. IRL you still have your field of view that allow to see a bit of the front, you're not totally loosing what appends ahead.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    For sure, my comment was a bit harsh in some point. But I just want to point out that it would be the wrong way to force any option to a user. Everybody has different likings. I know that my FOV-setting isn't the best for singlescreen, but i'm fine with it as it gave me a better feeling for the speed and i get used to it. With single-screen it is always a bit like a tunel-view and everybody has to find a way to find his personal likings. Well and that is a reason why I'm hoping that R3E is going for VR-Support. And then - think about having all those assistant-things moving around your eyes.

In my opinion - the HUD should be customizable so that everyone could create it by his likings and in that HUD the helicam could be an Option.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Jimmy2x2x

Jimmy2x2x New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would like to see an option for immediate race, once enabled after loading cars and tracks you are in the cockpit on the grid. At the moment I think I have to click continue 5 times before I can race.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Damn you're right.
    Yesterday I made myself the same notice.
    But the thing that bother me the most when starting an SP race is than you have to click once on the top left, once on the bottom, again on the top, then at the bottom... and so and so ...

• Agree Agree x 3