Any news on beeing able to play RRRE Offline

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luke Zientala, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    R3E is a waste product from the other activities of the company. It isn't self sufficient. With all their demands and opinions on the internet, the 'Steam players', as they were called by J-F, are just not bringing in enough money for all the features they would like. Beggars are not choosers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    That is pretty degrading to refer this great race sim as a "waste" product as you put it - here that means shit and I am sure the guys who spent countless hours getting it to such a great high quality product would be gutted to hear it described like that. It is viable or sufficient because it is sponsored & supported by partners who invest in the company RaceRoom Entertainment, together with Steam players, and that is just how the business model for this product operates. Whatever J-F meant by Steam players, which is all of us who bought it, I feel sure his intent was not to paint a picture we are beggars who have not paid the price to play. Your view is pretty twisted and in fact has nothing to do with whether or not the Always On DRM is absolutely needed or necessary. It isn't and there are better ways to protect the game that ensure the player is not unduly inconvenienced or the devs have to monitor a server 24/7 in case of outage.

* Denuvo is still unbroken in Fifa16, Just Cause 3 & the new Tomb Raider so I think it is a pretty safe option if something like that is really needed ;)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  3. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I used waste product in a technical sense. It isn't the primary product, it is a reuse of modules that were produced for other purposes, where the added value is higher.

Offline protection schemes are always broken, some just take a little bit longer.
    Asked about the development, Denuvo acknowledged that "every protected game eventually gets cracked".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denuvo

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    "Waste product" is perhaps a poor choice of words considering how most people will read it, but this is most definitely the impression I got from the very enlightening InsideSimRacing interview.

R3E really does seem like it's just a side project that Raceroom allows to exist because it doesn't cost them much. All their real revenue seems to come from Raceroom Pro and consequently nothing changes in R3E if the Raceroom Pro customers don't request it added.

Given this new perspective on what happens behind scenes with the game, we're lucky to have R3E at all. However, after that interview I've given up all hope with the game becoming any more than what it is now, and come to terms with the fact that the people in charge (Raceroom, not S3S) aren't particularly concerned about R3E or what people think of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  5. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Opinions I guess ... I never took that understanding from the interview, only that the priority is what the business partners want which given the type of business model they use makes sense. Not the best for the individual gamer/racers like us because what we want is always tied to what works with the business partners but even still I really enjoy it 'as is' and hope it continues to evolve, which I am sure it will. Technical or not the connotations from the term 'waste product' are all bad imho.

6. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, not the best choice of words but I get what @Raaf is saying. Perhaps 'by-product' is more apt.

There are parallels with ISI here in that the software being sold to the consumer is not the primary business concern, not necessarily where the money is made and therefore development is influenced by outside factors.

R3E could, and should, be considerably more popular if only Raceroom Entertainment were prepared to make a few changes to the way the game is sold. Evidence suggests they are quite content with R3E being a side project rather than at the forefront of their business.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Luke Zientala

Luke Zientala Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Well. i brought most of my DLC's on steam but what ever, also it shouldint matter were they get the income from, the reason people dont like this sim on steam beacuse most of the gamers on steam are people who want a free acrade racing game. where they can do anything

8. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I like this solution. I have no beef with making sure the game is legit....I want developers to keep making great games and piracy only hurts that cause, but this seems like a useful solution that could both lock out thieves and prevent downtime for honest people.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, I think none of us here want the game or it's content to be pirated, I think we all appreciate that piracy is a massive problem in the games industry and can seriously hurt the revenue of game companies, but there must be better ways to tackle this than always requiring an internet connection. What if I want to take my gaming laptop with me when I'm away travelling somewhere where I can't easily get an affordable internet connection or even just if my ISP is having a problem that day?

• Agree Agree x 5