Modding R3E

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gp20, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that's what they kept on saying at first, but in a recent interview Chardon admitted that it's actually because of the fact that they sell liveries and that custom liveries would get in the way of that.
    I disagree. The one league that I did with Raceroom (TCOne, WTCC) had an unrealistic looking broadcast because all the cars looked the same. It could have been brilliant if each driver had a different livery, but instead it looked like a white Civic cup with a few black cars roaming around.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    From my point of view its good there is no modding. There would be a lot of bad looking mods made by amateurs and I believe it would ruin game a lot. Bugs, glitches..etc.
    And about the liveries, I like original only.
    Also business model of R3E where you have to pay for livery would have no sense then. I like how it is now (maybe cheaper liveries would be fine). :D
    For me modding is for kids which only likes how the car is looking and dont care about anything else... (accurate physics, details, specs).

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Modding the game is great, you can see that in Assetto Corsa and pre-F1 2015.

The liveries however, I want to race against someone with another actual racecar, not matte black cars with edgy green stripes. Wich is what we'd see.

Or bacon liveries..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I admit that some mods are great. Not all are crap. :D
    But mostly its like I say. 3D model made by someone who installed 3D software 2 hours ago and physics taken from other existing car from game.... etc. It just look different, but behaves the same. In general, the immersion is bad.
    I am interested in this game because physics is made by professionals. Developed for each group (maybe car) separately. Using real data, etc.
    This is impossible to make for any amateur modder. :)

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    You are wrong. Some mods developed with real data from real racing team or from car owners.
    Ex. Lambo in AC going from mod to official car. DBRS9 mod created with real telemetry data from real racing team. Porsche 991 GT3 Cup created with
    participating of real GT3 drivers.
    (pic below not my)
    [​IMG]
    But i'm vote NO for modding in R3E ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Its cool in this way. Maybe it would be good if professional modders will be able to send mod to Sector3 for review and then make it like official addon. Of course credit will belongs to creator.
    Anyway, I still think that open game for free AMATEUR mods is not best idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but custom lievery is not bad idea probably for online racing. I'm not a Nick Catsburg, why i need to use her name in the races ? And i don't see any problem for business model, we can buy slot for custom livery. Problem is only one. How to share all this custom liverys to everyone ? If i'm not wrong, we have all content on our disks and we only unlock content when we buy it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I think this is the easiest part. You just upload custom livery to R3E server from where it will be loaded automatically when you will join server where player with custom livery is playing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Flavourlicious

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Sure you will see ugly liveries in random races. But for leagues it's a must. Just check out these spotter guides I made a while back for two rFactor 2 leagues, all liveries are custom liveries and pretty much all liveries look good:

rFactor 2 SRVN GT Championship spotter guide
    rFactor 2 SRVN DTM Championship spotter guide

But that's the thing. If Sector 3 wants to get successful leagues running (stuff like simracing.club) in Raceroom they have to add features like this. Sure, it's up to S3S to decide what they want to do with the project. But the fact that they have other stuff with higher priorities says enough for guys like me and my interests and forces me to go league racing elsewhere. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  10. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I really don't miss mods (cars & tracks) in R3E, because it has quite a wide range of great content. At least content i'm personally interested in.
    I would be fine with developer approved quality mods (like the 3PA program ISI is doing in rF2), but i can definitively live without a bunch of run-of-the-mill conversions. I've seen too much of this in other sims.

But regarding custom liveries .......... i'd love to paint my own car for R3E. I really hope, that Sector3 is adding customskins support for R3E someday. I see no harm for the business model with the "purchase-a-custom-livery-slot" idea (if the slot is car bound). Should work, i guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Alx^

Alx^ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I personally like the fact that there's no mods for this. It's nice to have a sim that feels 'true'. Got AC and rF2 supporting mods already. For now I would be more than happy to just be given the option of changing the number and name on the car, to my own (inc the colour and font style if possible, but not crucial).
    Now if they could build in custom league creation & support into the portal/client, and create a proper (+much more reasonably priced) iRacing alternative, then that's a different matter. Then custom team skins would be good. Imagine a custom league, Team S3S Forum vs RD Forum, in your own team skins. For standard leagues of individuals, custom name and number would be sufficient surely.

Maybe I'm optimistic but in my tiny mind this sim has the most potential of all the current ones to compete with iracing, while being much more reasonably priced. Being account based, they could keep it going for years and years, and one day rule the world, the solar system, even the universe!

Ahem :D

12. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I have always been impressed by custom liveries, i often found them refreshing the style (AFAK they can't ruin something).

Check the Assetto Corsa Livery contest here :
    http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/assetto-corsa-livery-contest.20636/

I can't imagine a race with all these liveries.

It would be great to have a tool in order to simplify the process so each people whould be able to build easily his own livery.
    A kind of drag and drop tool on a template then "push the button and get the file".
    I would pay for this kind of tool if i would be able to use my own livery in mp races.

13. gio_vtec

gio_vtec Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    If there was a way to do livery option like in pCARS then dont do it, pCARS livery system is useless and is just a killing time for us who likes to paint from time to time, but annoying for not being able to show it online, then again modding can be useful but i can see in pCARS that also not many people go with the mods, most i heard from people who use it is because they play single player only for the big reason that all the people need to have the mod installed to make it visible to everyone.

If they will think in livery system that can be implemented then it should be like iracing

14. Papifix

Papifix Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I want a large open space like Centripetal in iracing.

In such a place you can adjust well the car, or motion or vibrations or whatever.

sorry, wrong threat

15. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I can't count how many times I've had problems with mods (apps, tracks, skins, sounds, etc.) in AC - every time Kunos releases a new version something breaks, R3E is a much more consistent experience. I will still use some mods in AC but avoid most. It can be frustrating to install a track mod only to find the AI running into walls. In thoery, modding seems like a win-win for everyone but I don't feel I'm missing anything in R3E.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    R3E has the best mod ever created: CrewchiefV4. That is just the best spotter app i have ever used in every racegame i have played. I skinned some cars in Race07 but that is all and to be honest....i do not give a rats in which skin i race, as soon as the car is fast and feels stable im happy:). The only thing i whish for is that we can edit the PLR file. Im curious how it looks like and which entry's could be edited to customize the game more to my hand.

17. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    As far as R3E is concerned I'm anti modding but pro custom liveries.

R3E doesn't need modding. The content on offer, as a package, is the best on the PC sim racing market. Sure, we all have cars and tracks on our wishlists that could be delivered by modders, but the beauty of R3E is having a wealth of content to choose from, all built to a consistently high standard.

Genuinely high quality mods for the likes of rF2 and AMS are few and far between, and even then, the best are rarely as good as what the devs are delivering themselves.

Custom liveries, as others have said, would be desirable in order to attract serious league involvement in R3E. Personally I'm not bothered as I prefer real world liveries and don't feel the need to put my personal stamp on the cars I drive, but the reality is leagues will see custom livery support as a prerequisite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I'm not really too bothered one way or another about liveries (I'd probably vote official only) but in a league setting just spend the 50 cents/pence, or whatever currency, for a livery. Then the broadcasts would have the realistic look.

19. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Mods like CrewChief and R3E Web Dashboard are fantastic, but I think I'm probably happier knowing that the core game content items (i.e. tracks, cars and liveries) are well-made official ones, as it keeps the quality level consistent. Mind you some of the mods in ETS2 are great!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Flavourlicious

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Problem for that league was that the Civic only had 3 white and one black livery, so buying a different livery did not really change all that much. Also, it's not only the variety but also recognition as a team. We now have a team with 8 drivers (racing in different leagues), a dedicated website to promote the team and we have sponsors so we need to advertise the driver's name, the sponsors and team logo on the car. But as I said, Raceroom just isn't the place to be if you want to go league racing like that, and unfortunately it's not only the custom livery thing causing that.