When is the damage modelling going to be improved?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DoctorFrazierCrane, Jun 10, 2016.

1. DoctorFrazierCrane

DoctorFrazierCrane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Are there any plans to address this? I'm not even meaning (though it would be nice) decent body deformations etc.

But even getting penalised for hitting a wall or other cars...it seems as if RRE is one step forward from Gran Turismo 3 in this respect and seems rooted back in 1999.

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Id like simulation of wheel alignment getting off when u tap a wall. out side of that i don't care much for damage its not a crash simulator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    No I'm not looking for a crash simulator...I've only to get a lift from my stepdaughter to experience that :p

But aero damage that actually affects driving, wheel misalignment, punctures, engine damage etc. It doesn't have to be modelled in stunning HD graphics. But there is next to no penalty handed out for tapping a wall as you say. If this is a simulator...shouldn't this be simulated as well?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    aero damage already a thing as well as transmission and engine. i personally don't want punctures (id like as many people to finish as possible) and the car breaking isn't going to stop rammers they usually quit after a couple mins anyway.

wheel alignment might make people drive more careful though, but alot of people quit after any performance detriment.

personally i dont think damage is the best way to improve driving online, if anything it encourages crashes as they can get a reward (wreaking your car) from ramming you.

a points/ ranking system would be much more productive imo.

5. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I think in get real mode damage should be better watch at 11:30 mark tell me i should be able to drive away and continue to race ?
    If people dont want damage then drop down difficulty but imo r3e is missing this feature in Get Real mode should mean just that ! If my crash in video was irl my car would be in bits all over the track?
    No haters please this game is all i play and loving it !! Just sayin

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DirtyriceTX

DirtyriceTX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    The damage model is a joke even in "get real" if you don't want damage in your "racing sim" you could always try need for speed or maybe rocket league lol.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I dont think the damage system is bad.

There are transmission damages, aero damage(but not as good as i hope as it isnt sensitive enough) engine damage and so on. Heck, its one of the games that I can DNF for hitting the tire column in salzburing.

There is always room for improvements but I think it isnt too bad at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Not too bad ,? definatly not get real though ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't talking about online - I was talking generally and saying there should be a well modelled option in a "simulator" to reflect the consequences of damage. It's easy to add it as an option that the user can turn on or off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Correct. I think later today I'll take the wife's car out and smash it into a wall at 70 head on, then go on down, do the shopping and come home....

Maybe not :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. DirtyriceTX

DirtyriceTX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    The thing is r3e is still missing some basic "sim" features. A better damage model is one of those features. People complain about the iracing damage model and it's much more complex. It will probably become even more complex within the year. Which people want, because they want things to resemble real life as much as possible. Well that is until you bring up requiring a clutch pedal on the Iracing forums....

When people come from Rfactor, AC, Dirt Rally, or Iracing and they see a half finished damage model with no visual damage what so ever. It just doesn't seem right. There should be consequences for driving past your abilities, flying off track and hitting a solid object. There should be consequences if you try to bump pass everyone. I will race in r3e regardless, but things like this will only help the userbase grow.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I agree....and surely the most obvious thing is lack of tyre pressure as well. I mean that's almost unbelievable. Like having a flight sim that has no weather....this isn't a 'lets bash RRE' because I've enjoyed a lot of time in the sim and I have bought 95% of the content, but I think that in the midst of the praise we need to be realistic and say that there are some features that are sorely needed if as you say the userbase is ever going to grow substantially. New content is fine, but give us a complete package first and use that as the base instead of a load of content and a mix of half finished features.

I tried to join a multiplayer race last night using DTM cars, and had to quit out after a minute. The feel of cars on the track....well it didn't exist. It was like ice skating. There was no feeling of weight, resistance, FFB, friction, or even that there were 4 contact patches on the road. It felt like I was piloting a boat over a glass pond around one central point of rotation. It no more felt like 'driving' than cutting the grass.

My wheel is correctly set up, works fine with every other sim out there but here it's dead...on some cars and series, not all of them. Things like this need badly sorting otherwise sadly RRE could well stay niche.

13. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    What wheel and settings are you using?

14. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The best improvement of damage model is to avoid collecting damage while driving. ;)

:D

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  15. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Yes, aero, engine, gearbox damage is there. But suspension damage is way too forgiving (or almost non-existant).
    I don't care about a detailed graphical presentation of a damaged car, but physics/steering-wise it should be very very strict (respectively authentic). Just a wrong-angled small tap on a wall should lead to a bent suspension or in worst cases the end of the race. (At least in GetReal mode) That's racing and happens in real races quite a lot. "Gameover".:rolleyes:

16. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    The graphic deformation will probably never be too big, manufacturers don't want that.
    However, I absolutely agree that the effect of damage on the actual physics needs to be more pronounced.

17. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Erm, AC's damage model is basically non-existent :p It's basically a "dirt/scruff" texture over the car and a cracked windscreen.

R3E actually models quite a lot of nice deformation and actual damage to how the car drives.

No sim really does damage modelling well though. Either they are completely lacking good graphical damage, or lacking solid mechanical damage that affects how the car drives.

Really dont think it is possible yet with our technology to have "truly simulated" damage modelling both visually and mechanically. BeamNG is a game that everyone praises as having wonderful visual damage, but that's all it is. Wreckfest actually has some sensational visual damage, but lacks a bit in the mechanical damage still.

Maybe in the years to come when more system resources can be dedicated to properly modelling how a crash affects the body of a car, or an in depth damage model for the cars handling/aero/drivability.

18. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    There is damage there, it just takes a lot to see it, like a 150mph lot, such a shame cause that damage with real aero\drag effect would be real nice. Add to that the physical damage on show for certain cars, body deformation and the like.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The RR world is your crash test dummy.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I don't think all R3E cars do that...

20. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    most cars in r3e have visual bonnet damage as that is noticeable from the cockpit(im not sure they all come off tho). its a fair compromise adding a bit of immersion without having put in a lot of extra work (and i don't think the engine supports much more than that anyway)

• Like Like x 1