When is the damage modelling going to be improved?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DoctorFrazierCrane, Jun 10, 2016.

1. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    You are correct. Not all have extensive damage modelling. Such as the open wheelers and prototypes.

But check out the other G5 cars, GTR3 cars, or WTCC 15 cars. Some of their damage modelling capabilities are quite detailed and nice. :)

2. DirtyriceTX

DirtyriceTX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Admittedly i've never played AC but I have seen videos and I knew it's physics/ffb were pretty well regarded so I assumed it had an ok damage model :)

I agree that at this point to fully simulate damage very realistic would be very taxing on the average gaming pc. Dirt rally you can get punctures, you can damage the radiator, you can crack the windshield, you can lose your hood and trunk. But besides punctures and complete losing a wheel. I don't think wheel hits affect your steering wheel alignment. Been a while since I fired it up. So it's obviously not complete.

In iracing the model is sometimes too sensitive to damage when compared to real life. Any hard hits to a fender, quarter panel or directly on a wheel are going to bend the axle and tires out of alignment, And you feel this is your steering wheel. Which is realistic. But minor body damage slows you down more than it should sometimes. You can downs shift too early in some cars your engine will literally go poof. The aero/body damage model is pretty detailed,except you can't lose parts of your car but that should be coming within the year. But you can bend them all sorts of ways.

You can damage your radiator causing water and oil temps to skyrocket, if you don't pit and repair it, your engine may or may not blow eventually. You can get an oil leak which will also blow your engine if you repaired soon enough. And all of this is modeled visually. The iracing model is probably the most detailed i've seen but not perfect by any means. I have never see a tire blow outs or punctures in Iracing but according to a dev supposedly it can happen. Makes it very hard to get away with being a crash kiddie.

Iracing does not model or even simulate the clutch/gearbox let alone damage though. You can never stall a car in Iracing and there is no simulated gearbox to damage. Though you do have to use a clutch to be able to shift in manual cars. Which is one thing I love about RaceRoom. You can actually damage your gearbox. I have of course killed my engine in Raceroom before from a head on at high speed into a wall. But that is the only impact damage I have ever seen or experienced...

3. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    dirts damage is incredibly forgiving. its the only reason i still use rbr over it.

4. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Automobilsta has good steering damage imo hit something and your wheel can be way off centre and does not steer properley