Low FOV vs High FOV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OlivierMDVY, Oct 6, 2015.

1. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Agree totally...I have triples and an in game FOV of x1.1, with the Steering Wheel and Hands On...this is what I like. It may not be absolutely correct but I like it...and after all 'Sim Racing is an Individual Pursuit':D

2. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Slightly related, driving with the single screen, I have found that in some cars I'm faster when the seat is pushed really forward (nose on the windscreen), in some cars when the seat is way back. I haven't figured what the common factor is here, so it is a bit confusing.

3. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    seat position alters fov, but very slightly

4. David Plummer

David Plummer Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I used the fov calculator and got a figure of 0.5 (i used to use 1.0) and its totally transformed my game! it felt a little strange at first, but i find it much more realistic and im able to hit apex's much easier :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  5. f1jon

f1jon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I set my FOV to the recommended 0.5, the steering changes to where it is nearly impossible to control the car (i.e. the smallest input produces large steering changes. It's really comical. Any ideas why this would happen?

Jon

6. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    If you're playing on a relatively small single screen (?), it might be better not using the (mathematically) correct field of view. This can cause the effect you are describing. It's a bit like looking through a telescope where the slightest shake leads to a huge optical displacement. I'm happy with a fov of 0.7 on a single 32" monitor an arm-lenght away. Try what suits you best and do not cling to the calculated stuff too much.

7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Just so you know, regardless of your FOV the steering inputs and what the car does are exactly the same. Its just how you perceive things that changes. As @BeefMcQueen says above. Depending on your physical setup running mathematically correct FOV may not be useful. That said its best not to stray too far from what is calclated. +0.2 would be as far as I wouldlike to stretch it.

8. f1jon

f1jon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the explanation! I'm using 22" and sitting 36" away.1.3 looks good to me.

9. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    That would be absolutely miles away from correct....but its your game so if you like that then go ahead

10. f1jon

f1jon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I went back and tried all the settings. Now, even 0.5 works fine. I can't explain the out of control steering I was experiencing earlier. I think 0.7 will be my FOV going forward. The feedback I get through the wheel on what the car is doing is so much different now and a real game changer! I'm just wondering what happened to make the difference.
    64-year old beginner here and very appreciative of the advice.

Jon

11. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That's normal.

I changed to the correct FOV this week. After 5 minutes I was a bit dizzy and had a big headache. I was also turning more than I should. But after a couple of days my brain adjusted to where I don't get any headache and I see that I'm more consistent with braking. Example: In Monza I was always having to brake for T1 with the WTCRs at like 200/180 meters. Now I can consistently brake at 160/170.
    That said everytime I jump in a car I've driven before it still seems to take a couple of laps to adjust. Same for tracks.