Low FOV vs High FOV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OlivierMDVY, Oct 6, 2015.

1. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    This evening I've performed some test using my current low fov @ 0.5x against a higher fov @ 0.8x (I use a single 27in monitor)

The result is cristal clear: I'm faster with a high fov.
    Even using my TrackIR I can't drive as fast as with a low fov.

It seems that with a better peripheral view I turn more the wheel and take faster the turns.

What's your experience with low and high fov?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  2. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I'm using 0.8 as well, on a single 17.3" screen.
    Don't think I ever noticed any difference in how fast I could go 0.5 against 1.0 etc.
    But 0.8 just felt right to me when I was testing it out.

3. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I'm using a FOV of 0.6x with my 24inch monitor. The calculated FOV would be even lower, but it's a little compromise for my single screen setup.

I for myself don't care, if i would be faster with a higher FOV. I wouldn't even try it, because i can't drive with this fisheye lens look anymore. I get a better immersion with a lower (or more realistic) FOV. And this is what counts for me.:)

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I find the opposite, with a narrower FOV (0.6 IIRC) I can better hit my apexes and place my car exactly where I want it. But I'm on 3 32" monitors so the added vision from the side monitors helps a lot. I find that in R3E having the right FOV actually makes the car "feel" better, if it's too wide I feel like I'm steering on a pivot from the boot and if it's too narrow I feel like I'm steering on a pivot from the bonnet.

5. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Had that same feeling, but I put it down to the seat position. Tested around with it and found that for me changing the fov doesn't have the effect but adjusting the seat position (which is more or less inevitable when changing the fov) does actually change how the car feels.
    Maybe it's just superstition or the miniscule changes in the relative position the driver/camera has, dk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's probably a more accurate way of describing it. I'm always fiddling with the seat position until I get it feeling just right. I used to go with a high FOV and scoot the seat up close but now I've been using a lower FOV and pushing the seat back. I find the latter option allows me to see more of the dash/side mirrors and doesn't warp/skew/enlarge things as badly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    high or low ? why just not use the correct one? :)
    So distances, perspective, proportions are correct ...
    It all comes down to screen diameter, aspect ratio and your distance from screen ...
    For Example for 23" screen with ration 16:10 and me sitting 51 cm far from it right FOV is 0.5x (or 33 in AC, 45 in GSC, etc...) .. and than adjust the seat possition ..

8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    What is "correct" when it comes to recreating a human, like the eye of a driver of a car? Firstly the vision field varies from person to person and secondly there are more aspects to sight, like depth perception.
    All I'm saying is why not use the one you're most comfy with and that gives you the best feeling. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    fair enough .. let me rephrase :) .. Why not to use the mathematicaly and optically correct one :) .. the one where in comparison to reallity if you go wider off, your distances appears longer, corners straightened, elevations flatened and vice versa if you go narrower ... it is not about how wide you can see
    To put it other way.. have a car that is 50 m away and 1.2 m high .. the size of that car gives me idea of its distance .. if you goo wider than optimal FOV for your setup, car looks smaller -> seemingly further away (lets say 80m), if you go narrow, car is bigger -> apear closer (20m). Imagine that car is your apex :) ...
    Of course use FOV that suits you .. but if you wanna use mathematically and optically correct one, there absolutelly is one :) on single screen there is compromiss of loosing your pheripheral vision and therefore limiting you perception of speed and little bit of awardness i .. but I personally preffer to ingame surroundings looks like "real world" (not stretched or compressed digital abstraction of it) than to have sensation of speed that is not reallike anyway

But I agree you need few laps to get used to it ..been there .. but once you do it all makes sense

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, fair and square, but the point of things being further away always puzzled me cause it doesn't make any difference, does it? (other than it not looking like it actually would if I sat there irl)
    If that car or corner looks further away than it should when the distance is 50 m, it will still look further away when the distance is reduced.

You're right, one needs to adapt, but if you've adapted to the "wrong" fov it won't make any difference, you can still hit apexes and not do so with cars. ;)

And again, (to me and some others) the cars feel different when changing the seat position while leaving the fov fixed. So using a "realistic" fov might force me into using a seat position that makes the car feel worse to me.

11. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    ok, funny way how to explain it is .. take your camera and put nice wide lens on it (like 16 or 24 mm on full frame sensor) look through it .. everything seems to be smaller, further away, perspective is changed, objects that are close looks closer, what is further seems even more far away .. (that is you selecting wider FOV in your favourite sim racing game), now, while looking through the camera, try to run with it through the halls of your office, school .. run as fast as you can and try to amost touch corners with your shoulders ..dont forget to use helmet as it is gonna hurt :) ..
    What I`m trying to say is... by having FOV wider than optimal (that is the one most resembling human eye FOV .. well cut the peripheral vision on single screen) you are changing reality .. didn`t you notice how flat corners looks ... tight chicanes looks like easy long S curve,.. just for the sake of enjoying the track corners and characteristic changes is camber, elevation it is worth the initial uncomfortness..

About the seat possition .. well with correct FOV and corect seat possition you won`t be able to see whole dashboard in all cars, just like you don`t see them in real life ( if you are looking straight out of windshield) .. you see them with pheripheral vision but that is something we don`t have ingame (without VR glasses) .. I`m setting the seat possition so I can at least see revbar and gear indicator .. depends on car ...

On single screen .. what you might try is taking your prefered FOV, correct FOV for you setup and set something inbetween and you`ll see ... you can always go back (I cant anymore :) )

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, not sure if comparing standard fov to a 24mm lens is correct...
    I find hairpins and chicanes frightening enough as they are, no need to make those into needle wholes. :D

Of course I fiddled around with fov, but not to the extent suggested by those fov calculators. I'll definitely give it a go, but it already works pretty well the way it is for me.

How many degrees does a fov of 0.5 equal in R3E? Cause when looking at the camera files I see a (default?) fov of 58...

13. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    0.5 (which I`m using) is the same as 33 in Veritcal FOV or 50 in pCars Horizontal FOV

if human eye would be 47-48 mm lens, than wide FOV would be 24mm

14. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Even if FOV settings fall quite into topic "personal preferences", but here's another argument. We're driving a sim here, and most of us want realism, i guess. In particular when it comes to track accuracy.
    In case you have ever visited a real racetrack (and which you know quite well from a sim) .......... i'm quite sure, many of us had this "Huh, this straight is shorter than i thought" experience.:confused: Especially those of us who are used to driving with a higher FOV in a sim.

So if your personal FOV setting differs a lot from the calculated one, the whole track looks distorted, because of the wrong dimensions. Even if the track is accurately modeled, it doesn't look like the real one.
    Yes you're used to that look, if you're driving this higher FOV all the time. But you have to admit, that the racetrack doesn't look authentic anymore. Realism is gone.;)

With triple screens there's only one FOV, which is right ....... the calculated one.:)
    But of course ...... you need to find a compromise with a smaller single screen setup, because with a mathematically correct FOV, you're peripheral vision is quite limited and you barely see your apexes. I for myself use a factor of about 1.3-1.5 multiplied to the correct FOV. It gives me a little bit more situational awareness and is not that much off from the real thing.

Speaking as a single monitor user ............ driving with a lower FOV than normally used to, is quite a big change. I can tell you, that it feels very uncomfortable the first time. I recommend to lower the FOV not in a big step, but with little baby steps. This is how i have made it.
    Lower the FOV a bit and make a race. Then lower it a little bit more for the next race, and so on.

However ...... it's still personal preference.;)

15. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I prefer to have the seat in this possition.
    [​IMG]

So that I can se the rear view mirror and one side mirror.

Some cars though that have a bit narrow windshields, or that I have to take the seat to far back to see the mirrors.
    In those cars I move my seat forward to something like this.
    [​IMG]

One thing that disturbs me when I have tried 0.5 Fov is that when I look to the sides, I have the roll cage bars right in my face blocking the view.. .

17.3" single screen, and my eyes are about 60cm from the screen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    As you can see on your screenshot, there's no point of having the side mirror + central one.. Side mirror show you the same picture than central cut in half.
    It's useless...

17. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I know, but I like to have it that way.
    I also get a bit more awareness to my left side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    LePoilu please show us your cockpit view

19. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I disagree. In this example, say I'm going into a left-hand turn and looking toward my apex/exit, I can still glance in my side mirror to see what's behind/beside me without taking my eyes off the apex/exit. It doesn't matter that the side mirror is showing the same info as the center mirror, it's the fact that it's located in a place that's easier to see when I'm in a turn and looking toward my exit. Plus, the immersion factor, in a real car I would glance to my side to check the mirror and I can make the same exact motion in the sim which helps me to pretend/believe I'm in a real car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Nothing special to show on mine.
    I use a narrow FoV (x0.5), for my single 42" display, as I'm sitting at 1.25m of the screen.
    I set my PoV to be almost on the Dash, sometimes at the base of the windshield. I don't try to have the mirror, I use the virtual mirror.

You can have an example on this vids I mad, with ADAC2014 C6R

• Like Like x 2