24" 1080p Monitor Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metalogic, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Hi - I'm currently just using the built in 15.6" 1080p IPS screen on my XMG P505 gaming laptop to play racing sims. The laptop has a 2.6Ghz i7 quad core CPU and Nvidia 970M GPU with 3GB VRAM and can output to a refresh rate of up to 144HZ through the mDP, but doesn't support GSync nor VR (due to Optimus).

I'm considering getting an external monitor for greater immersion, though have very limited space, so am just looking for a good quality 24" monitor.

What would be good options to consider for such a monitor? I have a budget of about £300-£400.

The one that has caught by eye the most is this one:

Ben XL2430T (£269.99)
    It seems to get very good reviews, see:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/xl2430t-144hz-gaming-monitor,review-33103.html

and

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/benq-xl2430t-p21350/test.html

Also - even though my current computer doesn't support G-sync, my next one almost certainly will, though I doubt I will will getting a new computer for another 2 years. Would it still be worth spending the extra for a G-sync monitor now, though? The current 24" G-sync Benq monitor (BenQ XL2420G ) doesn't seem to get quite as good reviews as the XL2430T, though, and is more expensive:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/benq-xl2420g-g-sync-monitor,review-33175.html

What do people think of these Benq monitors and are there any other models I should consider? BTW I prefer matte screens to glossy.

As well as using it with racing sims (and Euro Truck Simulator 2...) I also want to use it for other games and for work. Thanks!

2. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Anyone?

3. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure you can't t make room for a 27-inch screen? In this case, choose a screen resolution higher than 1080 which you can use when you replace your computer. Thats my advice :)

4. rubbaDuck

rubbaDuck Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think you should consider buying a 29" Ultrawide display (29" sounds huge, but it is nearly the same height as a usual 24" display). The wider view is great for racing but also for work and any other kind of game. I am using a LG 34UM65-P mounted on my Raceroom Seat for racing and a LG-29EB73-P for working and gaming. Personally I would never use anything else than widescreen displays again. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    With a greater than 1080 resolution comes the need for a more powerful graphics card.
    When you already have that, I support buying a higher resolution, but otherwise it is a financial consideration.

6. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Also with the xsynch monitors out you may want to wait a touch Longer as they drop in price..never ending though.

IPS with a greater than 60 Hz is what I would look for myself...but there are drawbacks to them.

7. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Definitely don't think I can go bigger than 24" nor more than 1080p, as want to be able to maintain at least 60fps with the highest detail settings I can, and I only have a mobile Nvidia 970M GPU. Doubt I will be getting a new PC for at least 2 years.

8. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I bought a 28-inch 1080 monitor (ASUS), which is unusually large for a 1080 monitor, as it gives me a better field of view, without needing a more powerful graphics card. But I have also used a 32-inch 1080 TV screen, which is actually even better in this respect.

9. AMG Vilas ®™

AMG Vilas ®™ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

ASUS 4K -
    GTX 980 ti 4K ultra oufffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

10. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    That's loads more space than I have available...

11. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I am really happy with my (three) BENQ XL2720Z monitors. (27")...
    I'd recommend them without hesitation.

12. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Okay, thanks, that's good to know. Very jealous that you have space for three 27" monitors and a wheel and pedal set, let alone all the other gubbins!