Question 25 Newton Metres vs 2.5 NM's

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Nash Bobo, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I have been watching Youtube videos on Wheel bases. They (manufactures & reviewers of products) all lead people to believe that the more Torque (Newton-Metres) you have, the better performance you will have. Or drivers that buy a wheel base with 25 NM's (a lot of money) is going to be better than a driver with only 2.5 NM's in his or her wheel base (not much money, like "Nash"). What is it about torque in wheel bases that is better. Or the more money you spent in your rig, the better driver you will be?

Give me a education (your point of view).

"Nash"

2. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    FeltHYt, thanks for the video. Do you pay people for those likes of yours?

William Marsh states in his video " you are in sim racing for the experience of driving a real racing car. You will take one path down a road ( buy the best equipment you can afford like a Leo Bodnar ) or you are in sim racing to win sim races. Practice, Practice, Practice ...with something like a Thrustmaster. So you will take another path down a different road. That's what I understand him to say. (Does everyone agree with William Marsh? I never thought of sim racing that way. I thought we all were trying to teach Pavel Mukonin (# 1 in ranking) how to win races. Look at his stats, number of laps on tracks etc. I like to see his equipment or some of the top 10 people. I believe they can tell us what is practice and what is equipment.

want to hear from more people also

Here's another like.You owe me a US dollar.

"Nash"

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  4. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Those guys use entire spectrum of hardware. As long as you have analog devices, you can recreate the same input with anything. It's a matter of augmenting your driving and your experience

Current #6 (Sokovikov) uses Thrustmaster t150 and i checked other guys with similar pace and its usually your typical mid range wheel (t300, some logitech etc) (im slightly slower :p and i use TSPC+TLCM)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    What I got from various videos on hardware is that having more power allows wheelbase to be faster and more precise in fast, sharp reactions and in small, subtle feedback. This helps you better understand what's going on with your car, maybe allows you to react earlier and in a more natural way. The power is not there to break your arms or substitute gym equipment, it's to have more precise feedback. For reference, steering wheels in real life GT3 cars aren't all that heavy, I heard of numbers around 7-10 Nm of torque.

Then there's quality and rigidity. You don't clamp a DD wheel to a desk, you use it with a racing cockpit that's strong enough to resist such power and not shake or bend. This helps you be more focused, more committed and more consistent with your inputs.

Then there's pedals. I know it's not directly related to your question about torque, but since we're talking about expensive vs. cheap gear, this is also a very important part of a racing setup. Good pedals allow you to be more precise and more consistent with your inputs, and it's as important as your steering inputs, maybe even more important. And same as with a DD wheel, you don't put them on the floor where they can slide around and mess with your inputs and your attention, you mount them to a racing cockpit to be precise and focused. It's common to hear from people that they became faster after buying better pedals.

In regards to being faster, this is how I rank things for me, personally: practice is the most important; then knowledge; then securely mounted gear; then a bigger screen with natural FOV and stable FPS; then good pedals; finally a good wheel. Maybe I underestimate something here, but at least that's how I feel at this moment.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  6. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    The only thing that sounds a bit questionable for me in that video above, is the statement that the fastest drivers with low-end equipment are so fast because their wheels aren't powerful. I mean, you can set up a high-end wheel to be weak too, and if that made people faster, that'd be a common practice, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    For my experience (all read in other boards), if a driver was asked what makes the biggest difference when upgrading, all answered...the pedals. And i can only agree. Just the simple upgrade from a stock T3Pa-pro pedalset to a T3Pa-pro with a loadcell is a world.

8. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    It's a question of fidelity, not about saying that a wheel with a higher peak force which is harder to turn at all times must therefore be more true to life. Anyone who's saying that has misunderstood the point.

Some quick maths will paint a clear picture:

Lets say the game is telling the wheel to increase output force by 10% of it's maximum.

A wheel with 2.5NM peak force will increase it's force by 0.25NM (barely noticeable)
    A 25NM rated wheelbase will increase force by 2.5NM.

Effectively this means that the more powerful wheel will allow the driver to sense details which the lesser wheel will not.
    It's a question of reserve capacity. You can indeed make an underpowered wheel base feel decent but it doesn't have the capacity to output momentary spikes and troughs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Let me ask about FFB multiplier and all the other settings in Force Feedback in RRE. Will Newton Meters change. Will NM change anything or what really changes when you ask the base to increase the amplification and other settings by changing the FFB multiplier and others in lower power wheels vs higher power wheels.

"Nash"

10. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Off Topic: FeltH^t, How do you find/check what equipment the drivers like "Sokovikov" in using? Couldn't find anything in his profile.
    I broke my plastic two pedals from my T-150 tried to my desk. Haven't even had them a year and the spring broke in two on the gas pedal. Just needed a reason to buy something. Thought about T-LCM's, but decided to get something that will last longer than a year.
    So I went with the CSL's from Fanatec with a load cell. I hope they work will with my T-150 and the T-150 lasts. But, if it go's I have another reason to buy something. The potentiometer was fine for me, but I thought I would just try a load cell. I'm spending my lawyer's money that he should be getting from my will.

"Nash"

11. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Back on Topic, Question, Does NM's change under amplification and changing other FFB settings in RRE. Plus other points of view on NM's in wheel bases.

"Nash"

12. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Honestly Nash , the most important thing is that you have fun , whatever equipement you have the thing that makes you faster is repeating... lap after lap after lap , ppl above have given advice , and the one i truly agree with is pedals , a load cell and if possible one that has vibration on that pedal is one of the best ways to understand the car in the braking zone , and honestly thats where you get faster....
    The wheel , we have this amazing thing , its called muscle memory , 99.9% of us dont drive real racing cars , but we do drive our own cars and those rarely go past 4.5 nm.
    Try to find a balance in your setup , where you can find understeer , oversteer and lock ups . After this drive , have fun and learn

Andi

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    I found it in his TRT forum profile

14. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    FeltHλt, I don't understand.

15. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
  16. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    FeltH^t, Been a long time since I've been to Gatchina. I dated a girl in Gatchina in 1982. I guess I will have to go back to relearn to read Russian.

Maskerader, I don't have the room for a nice rig, because I live out of a efficiency room (14X14). bed, desk, TV, two chairs, exercise bike. My base is clamped to my desk. So having things like big computers, rigs, etc is out of the question for me. A T-150 with a 19'' monitor is it for me. New pedals just came Monday. William Marsh as I understand him states there a two types of people that race. The type that want's the best real world driving experience by always wanting and buying the latest and greatest equipment for that experience and maybe showing his friends what he's got. And the type that wants to be the best at sim racing by practice, practice, practice with what he's got. FeltH^t showed us that number 6 in rankings drives with a T-150. Talent and practice over equipment. Thats what I got from Marsh and FeltH^t and have fun like Andy said's. Me it is know your equipment and self and able to adapt to the given moment. I would not have bought new pedals if my old ones can't be repaired. I'm not saying don't go buy high end stuff. I 'm saying when you don't have room, money and resources, you adapt. The smart and hard working will win. The people with low end equipment can work and adapt. You take a 14 year old kid. He doesn't have the money to spend on high end stuff. Or drivers in poor countries that don't have good Internet, money etc. They adapt with what they got. If you got the money, room etc and want to show off to people, or make yourself feel like you're somebody, do it. But like Andy said have fun. It's only a game. No one is going to get rich and famous off of RRE. I guess this is not a conversation of torque I thought it would be. I just wanted to know why does torque makes a wheel better. I found out that a T-150 can be a winner also.

Can anyone answer my questions up in reply # 9?

"Nash"

17. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I think it's something like audio speakers. Just because their construction allows them to put out a maximum of X watts of energy in the form of sound waves doesn't mean you use all of that all the time. You use them at whatever volume you feel comfortable at any given moment.

The numbers you were talking about is the max "power", max torque, but you'll be running your wheel at whatever amount of torque you like, only utilizing x% of your wheel's maximum.

18. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Maskerader, Common sense just tells me that if I turn the multiplier up all the way on a 25 NM base I wouldn't be able to hold on to the wheel. Because it would be so strong when I it the wall, run over a curb etc. I will try to rethink it out some more.

Thanks I'm going to bed. 2:50am here.

"Nash"

19. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yes, exactly. I doubt anyone uses them at their max torque.

20. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Thanks All

"Nash"