A Little Bling For My Race Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bailey Lagstrum, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    I recently converted Fanatec's F1 rim for my Accuforce and decided it needed a pretty new logo because obviously girls race rigs should be pretty!
    Years ago I came up with Pseudo Motor Sports because, yes... I'm a fake racer, but P.M.S. just seemed to fit for some reason. :p

The logo is made of chrome and is highly reflective as you can see. It's not quite as thick as Fanatec's original "F" but it still looks good me thinks.

[​IMG]

I also wanted to cover the AF logo on the Accuforce horn button so it would match my Momo 300 rim since the Momo horn buttons will not work with the AF.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It did a really nice job cutting out the Italy considering just how small it is.
    I did all this using my sister's SIlhouette Cameo.
    It also made quick work of labels for the buttons as you can print them out and then the machine cuts them to size (almost) perfectly.
    Bailey

• Like Like x 10
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  2. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Nice racing equipment, Bailey.:cool:

May i ask how you have made the button labeling on your F1 rim? Looks nice & clean.

3. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Ernie I did it all with the Silhouette Cameo I mentioned.
    They look just like printers but they are actually cutters so after I design something in Photoshop I open it in their software and send it to the cutter.
    It's also capable of "Print and Cut" which is how I made the button labels. The printer prints whatever design I make up along with some marks for the cutter to read, once you feed that into the cutter it "knows" where and what to cut based on the software.
    It will cut a number of materials including vinyl, which is what I used for my project here.
    B

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Damn, I feel so inferior right now....[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Bailey, could you cut a Nissan GTR logo that would fit the center of a G27? If so, PM me. I'd be more than happy to pay for it if you could do it

6. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Chicks who sim race are cool. Your Logo is cool, Your button labels look way cool, and your brand name is funny and cool.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Thanks matteman. Luckily for me the 'husband approval factor' is not nearly as difficult to achieve as the WAF as my rig is an elephant in the living room and I get no lip at all! haha
    B

• Like Like x 1
  8. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I will certainly be using the WAF quote in the future. Seems I have been lucky too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    In the beginning it took a few years for my wife to accept my sim racing "addiction" HAF, and for me to accept her addiction for shoes, Jewelry and handbags WAF. 20 years on she has her own walk in robe/room. and i have my man cave/room.
    WAF + HAF = Happy Days.:D

• Like Like x 2
  10. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Hello Bailey,
    That looks fantastic, nice design and balance and adds a nice touch to the Accuforce wheel centre with the MOMO logo wheel and the mirror vinyl for the 'PSEUDO Motor Sports' logo looks spot on....great work.
    I have been in the Signage industry for over 37 years and it is great to see this type of innovative thinking going on with such a small in-expensive product.
    I did the same to my T300RS when I got it to remove that PS3 look about it, of course doing it your self you have your own personal taste as in the attached photo.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  11. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Happy days indeed. Hubby has always called me a cheap date... meaning I am not high financial maintenance (can't speak for the emotional maintenance haha). He pressures me to buy things for myself and has always supported me and vice versa. I definitely don't deserve him but as I snagged him when I was 15... I'm keeping him!! haha

Thanks Gourley. It's fun to customize and create isn't it? My biggest problem is feeling like I always want to change something just a bit more, never quite to the point where I can stamp it done done! haha

I used 3M Di-Noc on a project a couple of years ago and it was cool stuff - I still want to use it again. Now that I've got the cutter I've had some ideas about lettering a new button box.
    I made this one specifically for iRacing but didn't have a way to letter it the way I wanted to... this is a single sheet printed and laminated but I've got a way to try some of my ideas now and may have another go at it since I want to build another box.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. M D Gourley

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Hello Bailey,
    Yes it is fun customizing your own toys when you have a creative mind the the tech equipment to manufacture it...and when you want a change , just peel it off and produce something else. :)
    Nice job on the button box...definitely the way to do it as all one print then laminate...I can appreciate the amount of exact measuring, measuring and more measuring there has to be done on a job like this...well done indeed :)
    ...is that a small strip light at the top of the button box??...if so, brilliant touch.
    My Business Website...if interested
    www.imageartsigns.co.nz

13. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    YES... the measuring (thank you for your condolences! :eek: haha) I don't have nor would I know how to use any kind of CAD software etc. I was a luthier by trade so measuring things to the 1000th was very common but this was a horse of another color. I was trying to use software that didn't allow me to enter measurements or "see" the distances with any kind of precision.
    I ended up resorting to good old fashion graph paper to arrange my buttons then trial and error for the graphic layout.

The strip at the top is indeed a simple inexpensive 10 LED light. I had always used those little gooseneck lights on my rig as my league races were so late and I raced in the dark trying not to disturb the one who rises before dawn. :) I just got my dremel out and carefully cut away the gooseneck, leaving the wires to feed thru a small hole in the face of the box.

I just briefly glanced at your site but have left it open to look more. I noticed you mentioned using an airbrush and saw some pictures. Absolutely beautiful. I am not an artist. I have painted several automobiles, airbrushed 100's of models and I of course painted the guitars I built but I call that "technical" painting. Nice even coats, lay it on like glass and you're in business, but no artwork. I could not draw or paint a stick man with a ruler!! haha
    No, never could understand how you artist types see that stuff in your head, just amazing. Got an old friend who's a graphic artist and don't understand how you guys don't run out of ideas! :)
    I'm always saving jpegs of racing cockpits in hopes of making a pseudo-dash one day but even that is just copying someone else's artistry.

A few models from literally 20 years ago, all taken with a film camera unfortunately so not great quality. I remember when I created a way to put automotive lacquer on them without melting the styrene, that was the start of trouble. No internet helping with ideas back then just lots of melted plastic.

14. M D Gourley

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    The Software I use mostly for my Business is 'Coreldraw' a relatively cheap graphics and photo editing software package plus Photoshop, Illustrator and dedicated Sign cutting software...but Coreldraw is the one I prefer to use for text and shape creation...as I used Coreldraw to create the T300RS wheel front custom graphics....just photograph the wheel face, import photo into Coreldraw, draw around all the shapes etc, measure, scale to exact size, measure again then load in vinyl for cutting...woohoo!...lol

Art is practice, practice and more practice...lol...although I have packed up the real gravity feed airbrush and compressor now, I can apply what techniques I have learned and apply them to paint images in Photoshop or Corel Painter, and I find this to be more satisfying, no more paint on my fingers, clothes, carpet, paint smells etc etc...lol...but oddly enough I did not use the airbrush in, as you say in a 'technical' painting aspect, which still requires skill to get that glass like finish, with no dust or bugs as that textured element...lol...especially liked the 'Muddy Jeep' model...did you create that mud texture with the airbrush?

The Sim Dash idea is great, as I have often seen some outstanding cockpits in forums and this idea really appeals to me personally, and over at Sim Racing Hardware I found just the dash for my T300RS
    http://simracinghardware.com/product/thrustmaster-t300-dashboard/

...'Luthier' you say...could you fix my 'Stradivarius' please :) :)

15. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    M - I was using Photoshop CS4 and if it can do what I wanted it to I sure couldn't figure it out. lol With plotting points I mean. May revisit that but not right now. Too many other fires started. haha

I hear you with the practice x3 BUT I also know we all have our gifts. :) True artist are just that. I've had several people I've tried to teach things thru the years and some have a natural aptitude for certain things, others don't. Same with me of course. It's a true blessing if one can take their gifts and make a living with them though.
    I can't remember how I made the mud or the snow (which was a fan favorite), too many years ago. I do recall making the icicles by stretching drying epoxy. I did a lot of experimenting with them because I really enjoyed it. The Viper had a 3 stage paint job, candy with clear. Hard to put that much paint on a model without loosing the fine details.

Yes I've seen those dashes and they are very functional... truth be told I think I've seen most of the sim racing p*rn out there. haha

16. Bernd Schroff

Bernd Schroff Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    nice equipment....

17. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Bernd. I had just as much fun with my cheap equipment mounted on a coffee table but age does have it's advantageous now. lol

18. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Well this bling wasn't for the wheel but... the guys in my league got me started on Dirt Rally so I needed a handbrake, which needed a controller board, which needed a box in which to conceal/protect said board. :)

I looked at some auto supply stores for ideas that would make my little controller box look the part and here is what I came up with.
    I wanted it in as small of a box as possible so I could mount it to the front of my Fanatec shifter thanks to their handy screw mounts.
    I only needed the controller board for it's load cell connection for the handbrake but I thought I'd try to squeeze in a button or two on the box if there was room. I've always mapped the Ignition and Starter controls on RaceRoom so I thought this would be great spot.

PS There's even bunny fur on the ignition cover, man, there is nothing of mine they don't touch! lol
    Bailey
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Captain Zero

Captain Zero Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    sweet looking set up Sis! :) I was looking at the Accuforce wheel this evening and it is one nice wheel! I would love to get the Buttkicker (had one but I divorced her) lol , the triple monitors and the works. I have the PC for it but not the health...
    Have a great week, Bailey!
    Val

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    I know brother but you're doing great with what you have to work with. :)
    Since you've got a nice computer maybe VR would be an option.?
    Sure wish I could try it out... but with my issues I'm leary of it, we'll that and the downside of not being able to see my buttons, keyboard etc.

As for Buttkickers, the ones I have are way cheaper than what you had I'm sure. :)
    B