Problem Absolute ridiculous load times!

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Neil Brady, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Neil Brady

Neil Brady New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It takes ages to get into this game.
    After I click on raceroom experience it takes about 2 mins to get into ANOTHER menu where that is slow also. Waiting for server response.

And the multiplayer menu is a joke too, even single player etc. This always online crap is leaving it slow and jerky. The buttons don't work either, always a delay. And it ain't too quick to even load a lone practice.

Just look at this video to see how long it takes and how laggy it is.

I have nearly everything bought for this game, but I cant play it like this.
    Also the ai is crap with their constant bashing into your rear end. Im not buying anything else for this until all of these things are fixed. Damage is extremely bad too. It's supposed to be a racing game that works. RACEROOM RACING EXPERIENCE.

2. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    high drama.

load times are long in general, yes.

probably best to go play another game.

3. Neil Brady

Neil Brady New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it that hard to optimise load times and AI? Yeah I have other games, Assetto Corsa etc. But why would I abandon this one when I spent over €100 easily on it.

4. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    It not hard to optimize if you have nothing else to do.

Game is in beta, small team, company just out of bakcruptcy etc... You have to accept certain things with that.

Yes load times blow.

AI is very good. Post your issue with them, video. Not perfect AI but very good.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Try to change your martial avatar pic first, Neil - something light, easy and humorous maybe...so one doesn`t get the impression
    of being shot or beat up with brass knuckles & chains on first sight :D
    It also might help to better your mood...*just kidding*
    Really, I have to backup Sean here, your complaints come a little late if you already invested that amount of (time &) money.
    We all have the same issue more or less and sometimes I`m bothered as well (cause it takes a looong time, yes).
    Do something else while loading (which is what I do), go fetch a cup of Tea, talk to your wife/room8 (whatever).

Peace, yo !!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  6. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    This is 1 thread out of a few threads, and many more posts that mention the same issue. The devs certainly read these forums and take note of all the issues that are brought up here. Of course, as a user, progress can never seem like it moves too fast, and will always feel slow... A fairly small team like Sector 3 can only move so fast on all the issues brought up and of course have to prioritize importance. Some things just need to take precedence over others. Not to mention all the development time moving the game forward with new content/features. It's a tough balancing act.

That said, the issue of long load times, I doubt, is an issue of optimization. It's probably due to the nature of the game being always online. Which in turn means that any time you do, well, anything... you have to communicate with the server system which takes time. Is it ideal for the user? I dont think so. I dont like the loading times. But it's certainly not game breaking. A mild annoyance at most. The content of the game is worth far more to me than the slight annoyance I feel waiting to play it.

Although, I have only experienced long loading times once. Where it took me about 5 minutes from clicking on the MP server I wanted to race on, to actually enter the pits... that was an outlier and it generally takes a minute to two tops.

Lastly...

I must say, if you want a response and some help. This is probably not the most fruitful way to garner some help. Saying things like, "your game is crap, the ai is crap, the loading times are awful... fix it so i can play" will net you absolutely nothing. That's just blazon bashing to bash.

Instead, if you feel something isnt quite right, why not make a video like you did for the loading times. That way, your comment will be seen as constructive and appreciated. If you feel there is a problem with the AI, make a video and show the problem. I think anyone that plays this game would definitely disagree with you that the ai is poor. It's quite good actually. Sure they are a bit aggressive and rash... dive bombing you into corners. Along with some other issues, but they are far from preventing you to have a good race against them. If you are getting rear-ended, it could mean the ai is too fast for you, so try lowering the difficulty.

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    If you ever have regular races online with tough & fast but fair drivers you`ll see there is no big difference to the AI - you have to adapt
    or you`ll quickly see the end of the grid....

8. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I partially agree with that. Sure online races can be challenging depending on who your competition is, and it can resemble the AI in this game, but the AI being aggressive and rash is a different issue really.

Online against real people, well, when you are racing... it is usually the responsibility of the person behind to not take out the lead car when going for a pass. That includes dive bombing and other reckless behavior and making unsafe passes, or sticking the nose of the car where it doesnt belong in non-passing zones.

The AI certainly doesnt have that same "respect" if you want to call it that. They are quite aggressive and will put their nose anywhere they want to push you out of the way. Is that realistic? To a degree, but they AI definitely doesnt give the respect like a human would. Although, that is probably the most difficult thing to program into AI. That dynamic ability to sense when to pass, and when not to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    My comment was actually directed to Neil, nate.....Anyway, I had some very exciting DTM 13/14 races online a while ago and the real tough guys don`t hesitate to stick their nose in whereever they can, I assure you ;). Series like DTM 92, Toca Classics, WTCC a.s.o. have the "advantage" that the cars are more forgiving due to slower speed and a more "dull" handling, so racing bumper to bumper you can maintain control realtively easy in comparison to faster series like DTM or Prototypes...at least thats my experience from the last months of racing online...
    And comming from there the AI felt quiet "normal" after......IF you adjust the difficulty settings properly to your skill level...
    Nevertheless the AI behaves stupid sometimes, indeed....

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  10. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Cup of tea every time!

11. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Really sorry to mention this chaps but I rarely get load times over a minute...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Made same test on my PC... I got my Drive button at 2:15 mark.
    1min and 11sec faster than you so it could be PC specs and internet connection (and mine is actually really crap tonight: must call Atlantic Broadband tomorrow)... want to share what's yours?
    Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    That's because your "special". :p

14. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Very...

My PC specs are similar to yours SKRO...

i5 3.30ghz quad, I use Intel extreme utility and that tunes to 3.70ghz during load.

But Internet is quite different though not as much as greedy boy Dave... I get 55down and 3-4up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but I pay a premium for the 152Mb line I'm on and it's not really overly effective for gaming, 55Mb down and 3-4Mb up, is more than enough.
    It also proves that connection speed seems to have nothing to do with load times, as you know @machwebb , my load times are significantly longer than your. The question now being, if it's not connection speed and it's not system specs, what is it?

Think only Sector3 can answer that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    My internet is approx 24Mb down and 2Mb up, so plenty quick enough but load times are still pretty bad.

17. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Same here.
    They used to be a real pain in the butt on my old PC, way over 5 minutes some times..
    But now on my new one my loading times usually are about 40-70 sec.
    So I think the loading times has a lot to do with your specs.

18. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    "... 'cause this is unacceptable... I should consider another ISP probably..."
    "Well... Let me see if I can handle this Sir. Give me like 15-30 minutes"

30 min later

Capture.PNG

Woot!
    :D

19. ThereIs0nly0ne

ThereIs0nly0ne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Just timed this for practice, it took 50 seconds. For an offline race it took 35 seconds. Still too long so anyone one with ridiculous load times ... I really sympathise.

20. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Done yesterday same test...4 minutes to get the drive button (strangely enough since most of the times I can't even enter due to slow loading times) and I have a 2200 Intel dual core and a 7mb down/60kb up line...don't know if improvement can be done or not but hey these are really a slows loading times...