Advice for Newbie

Dieses Thema im Forum "General Discussion" wurde erstellt von M. Gordon, 21. Januar 2016.

1. Sayjimwoo

Sayjimwoo Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    T500 with the 3rd party brake mod, loving it. Although a bit pricey with a stand for a starter setup.

2. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's another thing to consider. If you get a wheel you really need some kind of solid rig to support it, even the lower end wheels can produce enough torque to rock the base around if it's not securely attached to something solid. The Wheel Stand Pro is probably the cheapest and most convenient quality option (I've never used one but read about plenty of people being happy with it). Certainly something to consider when budgeting for a wheel.

http://wheelstandpro.com/buy-online...U9wUdmIcF9Lg27h0_JKmCvklFo3yI933f7hoCGc_w_wcB

But like Heppsan and Chis have shown, you can still have lots of fun and be competitive with a good controller. So spend some time with that first and get a good feeling for the sims before you decide to plunk down some coin on a wheel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1.268 / 0 / -0
    I'm having this one:
    https://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-omega-steering-wheel-stand
    And it's both pretty portable and stable, but still quite fiddly and heavy to get in and out of the closet and carry it up / down the stairs..
    So if you don't have the space to have it assembled all the time, there is a risk you won't use it that much.
    At least if you only have 1-2 hours of racing ahead of you each session.

4. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    What would you pick, the DFGT for $100, or the Thrustmaster 150 for $200.

5. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Thrustmaster.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Thrustmaster.

Yeah, in my early sim racing years I'd mount the wheel to a tv tray and brace it with my knees. It actually worked pretty well but wasn't that comfortable. Then I took a stab at fashioning a simple dedicated rig, it worked but I eventually tired of moving it in front of the tv every time I wanted to race, and then tearing it down and moving it out of the way again. I decided to get a dedicated tv for it and remember thinking "Is this a little much? Having a dedicated tv to use only for racing games??".

Fast forward 5-6 years.................I think things have gotten a bit out of control. :D

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like x 4
    • Wonderful x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Love it! x 1
  7. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    all that and your still not happy with rf2 or rre ffb lol j/k

I have a dfgt for 50£ if anyone would like...

8. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty happy with rF2, just still trying to figure it all out. Some of the open wheel cars I don't care for, but I've found that to be nearly universal across most sims because they tend to feel very light and numb so I have a hard time knowing what the car is doing. You know from personal experience that they don't always have light-as-a-feather steering (I'm sure some do but I don't think that's the norm). Plus, whenever I hit a curb in rF2 when I'm using my formula rim it rattles like a machine gun which I'm sure my neighbors don't care for, and I don't care for, so I generally just steer clear of them for now. I've only done a few laps in the FR2 in R3E but that's one open wheeler I do enjoy, and I'm an open wheel racing fan so it's nice to finally find one in a sim I enjoy driving. :D

9. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I purchased a new in box DFGT for $87. That seems a reasonable investment to see how much I want to get into sim racing. Thanks for all the input.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club! :D Once you get it you'll probably have questions, people here are more than happy to help. At first the wheel will probably feel awkward but with some practice you'll get the hang of it and it will start to feel natural (might take a week or three though). Also, there's a simple and cheap way to mod the brake pedal to get a much better feeling from it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ValAllyn

ValAllyn New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello : M. Gordon;
    Congrats on landing one of sim-racings best titles. 'Yes', even in its current version.

I'll tell u what I did... I used a controller for years (off-line). More to learn the tracks... brake-points, gear selection, setups, etc..
    But... I certainly didn't presume to get on the grid w/ other racers 'online'. Racers who are really into MP. racers who r invested in it like I wanted to b. 'Why"? .. tbh, I was really fast w/ a controller and my lap-times didn't fit in w/ MP the way I hoped. Plus I found myself wrecking into other racers a lot. (Center Dead-Zone).
    I didn't really enjoy MP sim-racing until I got a wheel, and the experience was nothing short of religious. My first wheel was a G27 (entry-level but complete, requires upgrades to b really competitive but ubiquitous, great value and support will warrantee it for years).
    In the years since, I found the love for F1, Rally, GT and Oval. What I'm say'n is... the controller was good for F1 and Rally. F1 because (for me), the pace and down-force was soo high that I didn't have time to get off-line..(race-line) and f#*@-up. Rally because it's one car for most of the stage and getting loose is what its all about. I could counter-steer like I was Colin. GT and Oval happen in slow-motion w/ lots of side-by-side driving, here, a wheel is the only way to enjoy it, especially oval (speedway).

About the connections... the wired wheel has much faster response and I invited as many connections as needed... (Ricmotech, Bodnar, Derek Speare, Dashmeter, etc.. I even plugged the xbox headset into a 360 controller into usb because I liked the single speaker for a while.
    Anyhow... Like Peter said..

1. Wheel is more fun
    2. I started w/ G27
    3. Yes
    4. Wired - as many as u wish

12. Thomas Cameron

Thomas Cameron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
  13. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1.268 / 0 / -0
    Here are my settings for the 360.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I am so sad ATM. A clamp on my g27 just broke....guess I will tell the wife I have to hard Mount the wheel and shifters. Truly a sad day......for my wife! :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Still plenty of people using gamepads, you'll see 'em tacking down the straights! :eek:
    Got a TX300 to replace G27, far superior and far more neighbor friendly, changeable rims and won't break the bank, no idea what pedals are like though as still using a set of modded G27 which appear to be unbreakable, been river dancing on mine for 4 years and still working perfectly (there's the kiss of death :confused:). Just remember that wheels need their own environment, setting up and breaking downs a pain, so permanent solid rig is something worth thinking about.

16. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I'm aware of it but haven't got it installed yet. I've only had rF2 for a few weeks and I play multiple sims so I haven't got a whole lot of time with it or got everything setup yet. I know in AC, even with a heavy feeling wheel (I don't run it all that heavy) the CSW V2 doesn't even come close to clipping, I would guess it's similar in rF2 and I don't think I feel any clipping there. I might get around to installing it this weekend so I can see for sure how the wheel is performing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wobbly

Wobbly Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I used a joypad for a long time to play racing games up until recently until I purchased a G27 wheel and pedals in a recent sale I wouldn't go back to a joypad now.
    If you can get the settings right on a joypad you can set some fast times and be a good racer.
    However upon trying the wheel I found you could turn a lot better and control the acc / braking more better and with the ffb in this game you can feel how the car is behaving a lot more with a wheel.
    If your serious about your racing games and have some cash to splash then I would invest in a decent wheel might take a while to set it up how you like it and get use to it but it should be worth it.
    Also think about where you are going to put it as most people buy a frame to attach it too which can be another expense but if your handy with diy you can make one.
    (This game feels amazing with a wheel)

18. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    So... after reading this thread, it seems to me if it's quite normal to achieve almost the same times using a gamepad as using a racing wheel. Until now I just thougt I was a poor racing wheel user. In the end, I think R3E has the best gamepad controls I ever found in a racing game, no matter how realistic or arcade a specific game itself is.

I started with a DFGT but was not happy with it because it's noise and its assembling quality. So I sold it on ebay, planning to drive using a gamepad, but then, I really missed the feel of the wheel. I bought a T150 then, after reading and watching many reviews and I am not dissapointed at all. The T150 really is the better product for me. It isn't completely silent but much less noisy than the DFGT. Most of the parts of a T150 are made of plastic as well, but the overall quality seems to be better, when it comes to important things. The paddle shifters are metal and using micro switches instead of rubber dome switches, what gives a better feedback and for me much mor fun when shifting. Further, the paddles have an appropriate size, so I can reach them easier than the small ones of the DFGT. The FFB seems to be comparable in terms of strength but feels a bit smoother and does not have this rattling sounds at all. Some reviewers told other wise, but the so called 'pully belt and gears system' still let's you feel the gears inside, but much softer than using a DFGT. The T150 has noticably more indernal drag the the DFGT, what is not an issue for me, after some laps I got used to it. Finally, the default pedals of the T150 seem to be slightly better as long as you get them not slipping around as the don't have the spikes the logitec wheels always have. If you want to use them, you definively have to mount them on something, elsewise they are completely useless.

I personally like the T150 and I absolutely did not like the DFGT from the beginning. I was using the Logitech wheel about a half year or so. Finally I think it's about the prices. If you get a really cheap DFGT for less than 100 €, it could be still okay. But talking about 'the same price range' from about 150 - 200 Euros, I recommend buying the Thrustmaster wheel.

19. Jkck

Jkck Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    What are your xbox controller settings?

20. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2.411 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1