Advice on potential purchase

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Badders46, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

With Christmas coming up, I have been looking at a few options of potentially upgrading my wheel and pedals.

I currently have a G29 and have modded the brake pedal so it simulates a load cell-ish... In the last couple of weeks I have felt that the wheel has become more notchy than before and I had a problem with drivers etc. where the FFB was way off!

I got looking and thought about the T300 servo for PS4 and maybe the 599XX wheel... I was going to add the T3PA-Pro pedals to this as they can be mounted inverted... although it looks like not all seats take these? I have a Playseat Evolution Alcantara...

I have since seen the Fanatec CSL Elite Pedals LC and think that for a few pounds more, these would be better than the T3PA-Pro as they have a loadcell...

My questions are...

1) Can I use the T300 and CSL pedals together on PS4 i.e. plug the pedals into the wheel? I think there are adaptors, but wanted to see if anyone else does this as I do play it from time to time...

2) Are the T300's really that unreliable?

If I can achieve what I want to with these two products, I think I would have a nice set up, but want to have the ability to still race on the PS4 too... I would love a Fanatec wheel, but I just can't spend that type of money, but would be happy with the servo and wheel from TM...

Let me know what you think, you help would be much appreciated!

2. Alex Wurst

Alex Wurst RaceRoom

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

if you consider Buying the CSL Elite Pedals LC, definitely be careful with it, as it *can break if you put more than 90KG Pressure on the Loadcell Kit.
    We have 24 of those and had it happen a lot that someone on an event just braked like an idiot and ended up destroying the brake.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  3. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting back to me... Oh really? How hard is it to put 90kg through it? I have a mod through 3Drap.it (please remove if not allowed) and looking at their website it requires 25kg full braking...

Thanks again!

4. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
  5. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I had looked at them, but they don't have a clutch pedal? They also don't have a load cell?

6. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
  7. Alex Wurst

Alex Wurst RaceRoom

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Well, i can easily push 90KG with one foot.
    Of course, you can configure Deadzones in the Pedal settings so that the Full Braking Power in game is achieved with only 50KG, but you can still mechanically push further than that. Maybe you know how to brake, but then you let your friend drive and he pushes it as far as he can get it with his feet.
    The main Problem is that there is no mechanical stop, ergo you can always push it further with enough force until you read the breaking point, other pedals dont have that, when you reach the end, you cant go past that.

If you are careful with it, you should not encounter this though.

8. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice... I will keep looking... Budget may end up being a sticking point, but I'm just not happy with my G29 anymore! Doesn't help that I have had problems with it recently!!

9. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The standard Elite PS4 2 pedal set actually feels really good as long as you haven't been using load cells for a long time. They are far better that my previous Fanatec plastic pedals and a hundred times better than the horrid Thrustmaster 2 pedal sets I started with before Y2K. ( those still came on the first T300 packages).
    The new Elite has a micro-cellular elastomer pre-installed (conical mod). This gives it a really consistent brake pedal feel and with your in car brake set around 97% in RRE, you have a firm trail brake setting with a full 805~90 kg pressure needed for lockup. If I have any negative comment about the pedals, it's that the throw of the gas pedal is longer than my old pedals. This is a minor detail though, as I can just increase the throttle sensitivity in game from 50% to 60% and just know that I have full throttle before I hit the hard stop. I did this in AC ,but not RRE as it keeps me out of trouble without TC.

10. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @Eddie Ellis. I havent used a load cell before, but have used a mod to simulate one. I need to look into this a bit further, but it seems that the T300 and fanatec pedals can be used with an adaptor for PS4 (if and when I play it).

Do any of you have any horror stories regarding the T300? I have read a few, but is the unit that bad?!

Thanks,
    Dan

11. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I have the TX300 with the 599 rim and been faultless, 100% improvement over my old G27. I also opted originally for the CSL Elite pedals but after breaking two sets by blowing the load cell gubbins off the back of the brake pedal, I paid extra and went for the V3's, a decision I very much wish I'd made in the first place. Alex Wurst has just backed up my evaluation of the Elites, far too lightweight, more for the casual gamer.

12. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Ah Ok, that's good to hear as that is the combo I was looking at!

I think I will definitely take this advice on-board... Don't have enough money for the V3's, but had been looking at the T3PA Pro's... I know these are obviously not as good as the V3's but are they worth it? I see these for £125 ish in the UK...

Cheers @GooseCreature!

13. Alex Wurst

Alex Wurst RaceRoom

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    As @Eddie Ellis has already said, the fanatec csl pedals without the loadcell kit is very nice indeed.
    I've put a pic of what it looks like attached.
    As you see, they have some kind of rubbery plastic inlay which gives a "loadcell-ish" effect.
    By feeling, they are better as what logitech offers, but of course cannot be adjusted (even though you could make this rubber part yourself and get it harder or softer that way.
    These are actually perfect for us, as we do not need to make adjustments to the brake itself, so the lc kit is overkill for us anyway.
    It also won't break by braking too hard as there is a mechanical stop.
    I very much advise you to try these out, Fanatec only seems to have problems with the Loadcell Kit.
    Edit: @GooseCreature , you should still be very careful with the V3s, if you look closely you can see the PCB of it is exposed, so any kind of dirt/liquid or even dust COULD damage it.

Attached Files:

14. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @Alex Wurst! I will definitely look at those... I am just wondering if I will miss the clutch.. Although I don't really use the clutch, I am thinking more down the line... I suppose if I were to want the LC down the line, I could order this separately, but as you say there are issues with this!

Thanks again!

Dan

Do you know if the Fanatec products mount easily to a Playseat Evolution?

15. Alex Wurst

Alex Wurst RaceRoom

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I know it mounts easily on RaceRoom seats... *wink wink* :)
    In all honesty, i haven't seen the Playseat products, so i cannot tell you about those.

edit: @Badders46 I just had another thought come to mind... The default CSL pedal set cannot be connected to your PC via USB. It only has a plug for the Wheelbase, so you need any Fanatec Wheelbase in order for the CSL Pedals to work... The Loadcell Kit adds a USB port to the pedals so you can use those individually.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  16. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion, the bigest difference in driving, when upgrading controler hardware, makes the brake pedal's quality, followed, by the gas pedal. The wheel comes last. It may feel more comfortable and immersive, but makes the sallest impact on driving.

I therefore reommend to focus on a good pedal set first. I was hooked from minute one on on the CSPv3. I use the stiffer springs, and set the load cell on the brake pedal to a medium setting, also ingame options. The thing rests on ground and is not locked, but I use a wooden shelv behind it to cover the space ebtween its rim and the wall. That way it cannot slide when I climb on the brake in an emergency manouver. :D

Consider these pedals, Badder, they are worth it, really. Nothing bends, nothingb rakes, it sall full heavy metal. That they look real cool, is just the crwema on top of the cake.

Later on, consider the Fanatec CSL Elite PS4. Its a very good compromise between costs (not as expensive as the other Fanatec stuff), and quality of FFB and motor, and wheelrim manufatcuring quality. Its an excellent wheel, and feels much more expensive in your hands than it actually has costed.

I bought both things with some time gap between them, having had doubts on the costs in total. But now, I am happy I spend this money, and I say its worth it: it got value for every coin I spent.

P.S. I used G27 pedals and wheel before. No comparison. Just no comparison.

P.P.S. I still have not replaced the clutch stick. The existing things are so big... I wait and hoep rumours are right that claim that fanatec is working on a new clutch kit of smaller proportions. The design of the G27 clutch was fine. Very fine also were the G27 table-lock mechanism.

17. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

Seems I have a lot to think about!! :) Will keep looking and take all comments on board!

Your help has been much appreciated!

Dan

18. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I was a little worried at first about the lack of adjust ability on the brake elastomer. After some testing yesterday, I found adjusting the brake sensitivity slider in RRE, I could tune the first stage where the stop starts to resist. In the end I liked a 53~54% setting the best.