Advice on problem.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gopher04, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Over the last few days starting getting some of those green spots/squares appearing on the screen, then it might freeze, then come back to life, also had the warning the nvidia driver isn't responding, then that comes back to life, also it seems it sort of turn off/reboot the pc when it's extreme, I'm convince its the graphics card but will test tomorrow, but have checked connections, memory sticks, monitor cables/monitors and so on, psu is basically new, anyone else convinced it's the graphics? or maybe another suggestion if any..

Also if it does turn out to be the gpu more than likely go with 1070, that will be fine with a 2700k oc@4.6?

2. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Sorted, turned it was the Graphics card, so went down the route of oven baking it, worked a treat all is well again..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Oven baking it? Come again...

4. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like it was overheating. You could have downloaded an app that monitors its temperature. Instead you went with the... oven baking route. Which I always thought (and kinda still do) was an urbane myth.

5. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Yep, done it in the past with a couple of laptops also an old Nvidia GPU, basically using the oven to reflow the solder, altho it isnt a true reflow it heats it up enough to resolder the old and drying joints to reform the connection.
    No myth at all. Plenty of guides and success stories on the net.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Ohh, OK I see. And the heat doesn't damage the GPU itself? Nice trick.

7. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Trust me I was a little nervous, but if you do it right it has a very good success rate, before I actually cooked it, it was getting worst by the second, couldn't even get past the post screen, soon as it was cooked and cooled down, put it back together and booted straight through to desktop, been testing for along while now, alot of stress testing and all is fine..What I will say is the way they hand mounted the gpu and heat sink together with this small bit of thermal paste its not surprising people get these problems, I had nothing to lose, worth trying if you have this problem, saved me some dosh that's for sure.

8. MrTay.

MrTay. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    +1.
    I've done the oven bake method on some old 8800GTX's years ago. Worked perfectly. Also worked on an old PS3 that was having trouble. Solder joints are so small and weak these days because they are made so fast. Hairline cracks - and she's gone, slow bake, all's good once more.