Ai at the start of races

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leper Messiah, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    The game is brilliant so far (I have ADAC 13+14 and DTM 13+14), Been using adaptive Ai and enjoying the challenge on some tracks and manually setting Ai on others. Both have been good so far and I gave not been overlapping my systems so I know which tracks have been "trained" so to speak. The problem I have (mainly ADAC 13) is that the Ai has WAY more grip than me at the start of the race. I almost always get jumped on the rolling start and then get pushed around by the Ai because they are too aggressive at the start and have more grip than me. E.g. Did a race at Hungaroring at 90% ai (I wanted an easy win) I was fastest in Practise and Quali by around 2 seconds. In the race first corner was a nightmare and 2 and 3 not much better, by the end of the first lap I was 6th and really struggling to match the Ai's braking points and corner speed. Then after a couple of laps for my tyres to get to temp I reeled in the Ai and won easliy by 6 seconds (15 minute race).

This game would be much better and more realistic if the Ai was more circumspect (maybe 1 or 2 "hot heads" as the exceptions) on the first lap(s) or that it had reduced grip like the human player does. This isn't something unique to R3, I've had this problem with countless games in the past apart from GTR2 which was brilliant, I believe it had a section in the Ai files for the Ai to be slower at the start of the race. Is there any chance this could be done in R3?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    if you drive with tyretemp, the AI (but not all) pit in twice on adac13 (bug)..... but agree there is a falloff, the longer the race, the slower they get it seems. since there are no AI-laptimes visible it's hard too see in laptimes vs laps.

3. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    i don't get jumped by the ai myself every race (at least with dtm 92) but having some error with the ai at the start would increase the perceived realism hugely as its really the first thing you see in the race.

4. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    I suggest try to execise the starts. Probably it sounds stupid, but beleive me, it is not just wait for the green and go thing. It is really hard agains AI, since their reaction time will be always better than yours. But if you know your car, and know how to handle gas during starts, it can help a lot. Also if you have clutch pedal, use it, even if you don't do for shifting. I'm not a fast driver, and mostly playing multiplayer, but usually i gain 2-4 places on starts ;)

5. Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I've already turned off Tyre wear to avoid the pitting bug on short races, but I think you've misunderstood my post. I wasn't bemoaning the fall off in Ai pace, I was complaining about the insanity at the start of the race where I clearly had considerably less grip than the Ai. It would be easier to fine tune the Ai to provide a decent race if it was more intelligent at the start. Or if it was nerfed a bit for the first 2 laps, two minutes (however long it takes to warm up the tyres) to equalise things. At the moment it feels like the Ai has a massive advantage at the start and that makes the game less enjoyable for me when I up the difficulty.

ADAC has rolling starts, I'm being jumped when I don't have control of the car, the Ai is too aggressive on rolling starts. Errors are all well and good, in fact I'm impressed when I see the Ai in R3 get a bit squirelly. The Ai seems to be too perfect on the brakes though, it would be nice to see the occasional lock up! But the starts, like most games I've played the starts are not a million miles away from demolishing derbies, because I just cannot take the same fast lines the Ai can because my tyres are not up to temp.

I wish I could but as I said above it's a rolling start so I have no control over the car before the start line, by that point the car in 2nd and even 3rd are coming up faster than me so get the jump on me almost every time (if I'm on pole obviously). And because I'm on cold tyres I have no chance of outbraking the Ai and will often get punted when I brake at the only point I can possible brake to get round the first corner. Even the Ginetta Juniors in BTCC drive better than most Ai's in the first corner!

Like I said I'm certain GTR2 had a line of Ai code in the talent file (can't remember what ext it was.....*.rcd or something) that slowed the Ai down a bit at the start of the race. If I wanted to be smacked all over the place during the first few corners I'd play online! I don't want that, what I want is the illusion that I am in the ADAC GT masters and racing fellow top level professional racers, the starts destroy that illusion completely. I'm not saying this is unique to R3, far from it. But the Sim industry has to seriously start investing some time into Ai behaviour, a LOT of people play offline.

6. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I'm referring to standing starts when i say i don't always get jumped (only when i i get the start perfect). I dunno whats up with rolling starts but you always get jumped on them i assume its a bug that's gonna be fixed at some point.

also the ai are great around the first corner for me i have no complaints about aggression when i get hit its almost always my fault to some extent.

7. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I have also reacted to this, you would think that the positions should be held atleast till the player have control.

One other thing about starts, but regarding standing starts.
    Will false starts be implemented?
    Now we can just put in first gear, release the clutch and wait for green.. .

8. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    if you have watch a tin top rolling start you'll know the gaps between the cars are tiny much smaller than race room has them

ps watch turn 3 if you want a laugh (it doesn't just happen in online sims)

9. Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully the rolling start issue will be sorted.
    It's not really about Ai aggression per se, it's about the disparity in grip levels at the start of the race. But most games get this totally wrong IMO.

Either that or give the player control earlier?

Wow that's very close, GT racing rolling starts are not usually that close (although camera angles aren't too clear usually).

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I've never had a problem with rolling starts, and I use them almost exclusively; I find them refreshingly fair compared to GTR2 and PCARS, for example, where I can often gain places easily.

11. longi

longi New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I feel the same with the starts and the ai. From 7 of 10 times the ai pushes me off the track. I think also thats a Problem with the grip or the braking points. I cant brake so late like the ai and thats often the reason for a crash.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yup, all we need is the Ai to be more carefull on the start/opening laps and to spread out 3,4 even 5 abreast at the start to stop human players gaining too much ground unrealistically.

13. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I have noticed the consideral grip that the AI has especially in DTM 1992 since there is no traction control! The AI doesn't seem to have any wheelspin! :mad:

14. Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Well it's a lot better now the Ai doesn't have such an advantage on rolling starts, only lost one place and managed to stay in touch until tyres warmed up enough to get past. Could be better still but a definite improvement. Just a little cut of power (say 1-2%) on corner exit and a tiny bit earlier on the brakes (or having the Ai lock up more) would vastly improve the game imo.