AI drives me mad...see you in a few months

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PECHOUX, Apr 30, 2016.

1. PECHOUX

PECHOUX New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

R3E is probably the best sim game for me, physics, graphics, sounds, lots of content. But What's happening with AI? Opponents cars strike me to often, pushing me out, and continue like nothing's happened.
    It's ok on circuits I know very very well, but even in training session, when learning some new circuits, it's not possible to play with AI.
    Each time now, i become angry and play stock car to shoot them....It's the first time a sim. make me do this...
    It's like my car is not present to opponents...Another thing is Ai seems never make any mistake...

I'm writing here because I won't play this game anymore until AI behaviour will be corrected, or at least be adjustable(i'm not talking about the general speed adjustment you can do in race mode, but the behaviour like we had in GTR2 for exemple). I'm too upset....too bad because I just bought all the new content.

After reading me again, due to anger, i fell unfair and maybe over reacting but I think AI should be priority than new cars or circuits....

Charles

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  2. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    full agree

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Don't know, the AI seemed to do very well in terms of player awareness until the last patch a few days ago. Something must have broken it so I'm positive it'll be fixed very soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I havre great races, I have bad races against the ai

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    This. Overall behaviour of AI definitely worsened. And to me it seems, that it is not only the player awareness. AI is also bumping each other a lot.

I'm constantly bumping doors with AI currently, something that definitely didn't happen before. Not only that, nothing is more infuriating than AI pushing you off the track on straight by making unnecessary driving line change. This happens also way too often. AI also looks very weird, by doing turns in sort of steps and seem to be on a verge of sliding all the time, like they would be running on a completely worn out tires.
    I sure hope so. Although they added some unpredictiability to the AI, it was way superior otherwise before the latest patch. I'd gladly take roll back to the earlier AI code any day until these issues are solved.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    They said they have fixed Nord Ai but they still cause carnage. They are super bad with standing starts and they smack you off the road in the first corner after start and finish on VLN.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    First i wasnt happy with AI at all, but im getting used to it, actually it is not that bad. its behaviour changed a lot since last update, but imo it is more challenging than before, so probably we just have to learn to race against them.
    The straight line "door to door" thing is not the best for sure. I dont know if it is just a bug or it has some purpose (in overtaking situations you can see drivers trying to force opponents gently toward the side of the track to discomfort/distract them in real life as well), but so far that is the only major thing i can mention.
    What i like is that they dont give up so easily their position like before. Before the patch, you took the inside line, squeezed in the nose, and you were good, they gave up. Now you have to plan more carefully because they easily shut the door infront of you, they dont just backoff because you are coming.
    I also like their mistakes and that they are bumping each other, it gives me the immersion of real ppl (not everybody is coldblooded professional who makes 99.9% right decisions). yes i know, in these days it is not so tipycal in rl, but i think it just because racing is rather business now than passion in rl.
    Also i have had to turn down a bit AI strength after the latest patch. i used to race on 109, but now im down on 107.
    Ofc the new AI is pretty far from perfect, it never was, and it never will be, by myself i would prefer kinda mix of the previous and new one.
    And since im pretty sure, that the AI performs different on each and every track and class, for comparison: im mostly racing GT3 class on Bathurst/Mid Ohio/Hockenheim/Zandwoort/Spa

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I've been having good experiences with the ai. The adaptive ai could go a little faster for my taste. So I've been using set strength more often. And I'm still trying to figure out how the f**k they get in and out of the pits so damn fast.:confused: But otherwise I've learned how to keep on the track in the fender and bumper bouts. And in fact, they end up off the track as often as I do.:cool:
    I rather enjoy dodging the occasional pile ups that can happen in the heavy traffic of the first few laps. You can gain 4 or 5 p in those moments if you do it right.;)
    So maybe I'm weird, but I like the ai for the most part. I know that if I can't pass before the apex of the corner they will bump me. So I have to wait until I know I can be clear before the apex. And at the same time, I've also had many side by side battles with one around multiple corners with out any touching at all. Won some of those battles and lost some as well.:p
    IMHO they are the best of any other sim I own, but there is always room for improvement.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    There is something wrong with them, it's not just a matter of learning to race against them. Even in training they will just crash into you from behind if you are too slow, something that didn't happen before. They simply ignore the players car unlike pre-patch.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    If you drive fast enough they are ok, had a few good races. But:
    - If you drive slow entering the pits = crash
    - If you drive slow out of the pits = crash
    - If you just brake bit to early = crash

I don't mind they hit me a little but they just slam in to you full speed like you are not there which is pretty annoying.
    Would be nice if they are more aware if you are not at ideal speed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. The_Grunt

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    This is of course personal preference, but to me AI is failing constantly on same turns on certain tracks. If to be precise, it is just not turns. AI can even cut to grass on straights when trying to make a pass. Or then it just decides to push you to there by trying to make a late block, I presume.

If it would just be occasional, but it is repeating if not every then almost every single time. I don't find that appealing at all and very unrealistic. AI screws up so often that if I'd get a cent every time, I would be a millionaire in no time.

The absolute best feature of the earlier AI was that it could be trusted. Period. If you went in cleanly (this means opposite to dive bombing FYI) two wide to turn, you could easily pull that with the AI without even changing the paint. Now, AI is all over the place, constant door bumbing both turns and straghts. I have been actively with this game roughly for a year and half and I must say that the current AI is perhaps the worst there has been. Earlier AI had troubles when lapping or then driving too much in parade, but all that time it has been smooth and constant even on crowded starts. I haven't had problems with AI ramming like some others, if you just practiced your braking and adjusted the AI to your speed. It was good, not perfect, but now it is worse. It was still if not the best, among the best AI of current sims. To me, it unfortunately can't currently reach the podium although it still beats couple "contenders".

Edit: I actually a couple of hours ago just tried DTM's (URD mod) on RBR with rF2 and it was from wholly another planet compared to current R3E. AI did it job really well and you could pretty much anticipate and plan your safe overatkes. No contact with the AI, smooth as a butter and competitive. And yet, race looked liked a DTM race. R3E was pretty much the same before the patch, but too much a parade. In fact, R3E excelled over the rF2 terrfic AI that its cars didn't have to pump throttle and brakes in the first couple of turns like in rF2, although URD DTM doesn't behave like that on RBR as first turn in it is quite fast. Still, it works just fine, but looks a bit strange as AI is flashing its braking lights and driving awkwardly the first and perhaps the second most crowded turns after the start.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  12. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    More or less I completely disagree.

My experiences with the AI both in training and racing, is extremely pleasant. The AI can be trusted, I often run in packs door to door and bumper to bumper, and while occassionally we scratch off some paint and lean on each other, it rarely happens that i get shot off, if ever.

Only when running very huge fields of cars, say 48 and more, the launching phase can be a bit turbulent and traffic jams can happen.

Check your own driving. If you manouver too aggressively, jump in front of the AI too suddenly, brake too unextectaldy with the AI close behind you, you leave it no chance to react to you, and so it must slam into you. But then, same would happen if it were a human driver.

I say Raceroom drivers complaing about getting shot off "all the time" the same what I tell Assetto corsa drivers, because there you also have many people complaing about the AI slamming into them. It doesn't, not without a damn good reason - and that reason is player's overly ambitious driving in 9 out of 10 cases, if not more. ;) .

In the end, what gets decrobed and complained about by OP, snmply does not happen to me, I cannot confirm it by own experience, with the execption of starting phases in very huge car fields. Running AI at skill settings from 100 to 120 now, depending on car class, with default car setups.

Usually I argue that the AI could even need a bit of toning down perfection and making more human errors. Not shooting the player off, but slipping across the kerbs, braking too hard and overshgooting a bit, spinning, stuff like that. But better leave it as it is instead of overdoing these things. Such things occassionally happen already now.

Maybe have two sliders, one for AI skill like now, one for aggressiveness and thus risk-taking and number of AI-self-caused driving errors. GTR2 had that, and I recall that I liked it.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The_Grunt

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    All this to me seems you are describing the pre patch AI. It is unbelievable that we can have so different views about it, but I guess each on his own. Check your driving? How can I check something more if I'm passing AI on a straight and it decides to ram me on my side by deciding "Hey, I want to drive on a right side instead of left although you are right there". Or when I have a clean line either inside or outside, AI now suddenly wants to change his driving lane in mid turn and bumps to me. Or when I see AI repeatedly driving same turns on grass in front or me or seeing same mistakes happen again, again and again. I find no human behaviour there, just poor AI. Again, I don't see these things happening in rF2 (granted track AI design is well done), where I see AI still making mistakes sometimes, but generally not anything stupid. As I said, I could easily drive one hour races (more usually ment lapped cars which were problem especially for AI) in R3E before without changing a paint and now it is almost impossible. If it just would be AI piles with large grids, it would be okay, but its not.

I don't know. Maybe I don't know anything about sim racing and AI in rF2 and even GSCE and former R3E just suited me better. Still, I didn't suffer from AI ramming my rear like most complaints were before. I could see it happen, but it dramatically decreased, when I learned my braking point and set the AI to my speed, which again depends on the track and car and is usually between 100-115. To me, Ai just don't keep their lines anymore or aren't aware of cars around them. In fact, I didn't have any problems with earlier AI, besides the parade like driving: it was smooth, it left a room for overtake if I took it cleanly and didn't fail constantly on same turns.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I had done three 15 min races on Saturday, 48 WTCC15 at Sachsenring, 48 Prototype1 at Spa, 48 GTR3 at Moscow. Despite the turbulent first minute after launch (rolling), I did not see the things you describe. AI settings were 120, 115 and 110. And I had many situations were things were "three wide" and after launch even "four wide".

During training sessions when the cars roll out of the box one by one, there is even less a chance to see the aI creating a mess. To me it looks the AI is perfectly aware of my presence.

As I said, the same complaints are made by some people about the AI in AC as well. And there I too do not see these things happening since long time anymore. It seems my driving simply is different, and suits the ai better to avoid hitting me. And I am not the fastest driver for sure, I do not switch to lightspeed and jump away and avoid any trouble! I go with car default setups - that alone already forbids to drive world records.

Drive more cautiously, sensible, sometimes even passively. As if it were real cars with real humans, and your real mony at risk when damaging them. Many people use simulators in a way as if there is no tomorrow. SBP, FS2002 and FSX have taught me over many years that a good and potent simulation gives you back what you put into it. And if you put driving on steroids into it - that is what you get back. Put realistic own behaviour into it, (which for sim drivers often means to tone down their driving aggressiveness, since they would never dare to drive in reality like they do in games), this might work wonders. Else it might not be a good simulator. I think RR is a very good one.

I just do not see these things happening that you describe, I'm sorry.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. The_Grunt

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    Well, to me AC AI has been and still is crap from the start it was available, when it comes to AI. It truly is IMO simply bad. R3E AI was lightyears a head before the latest update, not so much today. Certainly better than AC.

Just please, don't teach me. I've been with R3E a long time now. And if you don't find a solution for AI changing driving lines in the middle of the turn or even straight, I don't see what there is to change in my position.

I came to racing sims from flight sims. Have been doing that shit with FS2004, FSX, P3D and XP10 added with every serious combat simulators since Lawrence Holland masterpieces. I also played pretty much every iteration of MSF, alhtough I didn't count myself as a "simmer" in 80's or 90's. Granted, nowadays my stuff is more solo sim racing compared to flight simming, but I have probably spent good few thousand dollars in both software and hardware when it comes to flight simming during last few years, so I think it is not something about lacking certain patience or what it requires to learn systems and practices of flight.

In the end, to me, only thing that matters it that current R3E AI is far worse than the earlier. I see these things happening, and apparently few others also. Someone might like it, but I don't. If this isn't fixed, I won't spend more money on R3E. I still have about 3000vRPs pre purchased, and when that is gone, so I am I. Until AI behaves like real race car drivers do.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mz Baker

Mz Baker Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well there are some tracks where this happens a lot more than others I think.
    Try Red Bull Ring in Gt3 race passing the Ai on the straight after the first turn and take the inside line.
    9 times out of 10 for me unless I get in very early and make the pass very fast the AI will go across onto the right side and
    push me off.
    If I try to pass in the same place but taking the outside line it doesn't happen.
    In both cases it's like the AI doesn't even know you are there and they just take their normal line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't lecture others without knowing how they drive if I were you.
    In fact, I do drive like it was a real car in mp and vs ai. Before the patch I could have door-to-door races with constant position switch after each corner over long distances with the ai, something that isn't possible anymore because they will just slam me off track regardless on how that will affect their own car. Before there was also occasional contact but not comparable to what is now. They seemed like professional drivers to me pre-patch, that were concerned about making it to the finish line and valued a clean race. Now they act like casual drivers in mp that will just leave the server after they severely crashed into someone a few times, actually I'm still waiting for an insulting chat message from the ai^^

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    The only problem I'm having with the AI is when driving alongside them down a straight they keep pushing me off the track as if I'm not there

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree with this, shore the AI is awesome they are very competitive and chalenging but it seem like the aggression level sundenly boosted 500% If you are just the slightest wrong in the best line and slower they just drive right in to you like you weren't there at all, this behavior I haven't seen for a long time so something shore happened after last patch... hmm....

20. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Yes, this is a common situation on many tracks. Basically anywhere you try and pass the AI on the 'wrong' side. They just cut across as if you're not there because the AI car only sees the racing line, not the human player in between it and the track boundary.

In a recent 30 minute race at Spa I got spun-out or pushed off the track four times by the AI, each time due to a lack of awareness of my existence.

Don't get me wrong, I still consider the AI in R3E to be good but it's not as competent as it has been in the past. I play almost entirely offline and have seen the AI evolve and sometimes regress with every update over the past couple of years.

I simply cannot agree with anyone who says this is acceptable and it's the player who must adapt when it's patently clear the AI has been much better than this.

Sector3 will sort this, I have no doubt. They've already proven themselves capable of delivering quality AI and with multi class on the horizon, they have to make it work.

• Agree Agree x 8