Question AI faster on very long straights, wrong shifting?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by anno900, May 26, 2021.

1. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,
    Recently I found out that AI has higher speed on a long straight.
    I currently run f4 championship. Default setup. Throttle goss to 100%, checked in settings and I use the hud for steering, Brake, throttle.
    E.g. at Road america I'm faster out of Turn 2. After about 200-300 Meters I move out of the draft from AI driver in front of me. Then we are side by side (me slightly faster than him). But already by switching from 4th to 5th I see that AI driver is already equal on speed and by switching to 6th gear he is faster, even If I am on full throttle.
    At Spa Out of eau rouge. AI is behind me in the draft and moves by. So far so good. I'm behind AI in draft. I cannot catch up, so just holding the distance.

I experienced something similar at Daytona with porsche cup class.

So what can be the reason?
    Throttle works at 100%, breaks at 0%. So do I shift wrong? I always shift when hud Starts to get red.
    Or is it the simpler physics of AI cars? Or even side draft effects?
    Daytona was pretty new, when I had that race and the straights are not really straight with the banked Corners, which Go flat Out.
    Anyone experiencing the same?

2. V10_Dog

V10_Dog Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The tracks you are mentioned are all high speed tracks. I am not really sure about how setups for the AI cars work, but it sounds like the AI is just running low downforce setups.

3. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Might be an explanation, but I assumed so far, that they run the default setup.

4. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I ran group C in Glen and Spa and AI simply drove by on the long full throttle sectors even though I had better corner exit speeds. AI at 93%. Default setup. They even drive away when I'm in their slipstream. I drove the porsche.

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    What was your engine map

Andi

6. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Map 3 was default for Spa. So does AI not use default? And If not, which settings do they change.

7. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Ai will use the fastest map they can depending on many variables , but size of fuel tank vs number of laps is the main one

Andi

8. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Thx, Andi. Do you know if they change other things as well? Maybe tires? I run without fuel usage nor tire ware. So I will set map to fastest.

9. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    They use what they deem best based on distance so if its a short race so even with no wear they will take the fastest option for the distance

Andi

10. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I have read knowledge base and Alex noted there, that AI uses engine maps. So sorry for asking.

11. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Group C is clear. But I cannot explain f4, as f4 does not have engine maps according to alex's car physics list

12. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Lower wings ?

Andi

13. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    If AI changes default setup, than maybe yes.
    From my understanding each car has a different default setup for each track, hasn't it?
    And I thought AI uses that setup and does not change anything (except for fuel, which is not relevant for me as I don't use fuel usage, and engine maps, which I learned today).
    So it would be nice to know which other setup parameters they edit.
    Due to my limited time and limited knowledge about building a good setup it would be odd if AI edits too many parameters. Of course I can set different engine maps or adapt gear ratio, but when it comes to suspension etc...., so what my personal "fun" is to simply jump in a car and race with equal "weapons" against AI in short races with short quali in a short championship.

14. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Its not so much an ai runs this or that setup , iits how they are set to make a lap time at a certain percentage , this is really complex to explain (even harder to test ) but sometimes running a championship , you will be slightly slower at a specific track , and at the same %the ai may be slightly faster ,
    Best bet for the f4 is log your top speed and log theres , and we can check if they are stepping outside of there rule set at that %

Andi

15. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    That explains quite a lot. Thx Andi. So if AI gets an update for entrance speed for slow corners (imho the most significant weaknes of AI) then they could be slowed down on long straights ;-) to reach their target lap time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Yes sort of yes ,

Cant really explain as i dont fully understand the black arts that go into it

Andi

17. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    GroupC with engine map 5 and the issue is fixed.

• Like Like x 1