Question AI issues?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Skybird, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Usually I am the guy defending Raceroom's AI against claims of the AI crashing into the player and shooting him off. And its not as if I get shot off the track by the AI now. But since the second last update, I mean the update before Dubai, something has chnaged, it seems to me. I was not sure whether it was just me, an unlucky combination of events, something subjective, so I said nothing. But I have seen it many times now, with practically all car classes I use to drive. And I mostly use those car classes that before I praised for being very competently handled by the AI, for example the Audis, GT3, WTCC, not the super-agile superfast AI-critical cars or the open wheelers.

The phenomenon is that the AI in my close vicinity seems to misjudge often where its own car ends and my car begins. The most obvious manifestation of this phenomenon is like this: I drive in front, and accelerate (I do not slow down, I do not brake), and when looking back I see the AI car slowly approaching and getting close in wind shadow, and does not stop when bumpers are just two centimeters apart - and then mild, almost gentle contact appears, and the AI falls back a bit immediately. It all would be okay behaviour if it would stop to close the gap just before contact is made. Then it would qualify for putting the driver in front - me - under a lot of psychological pressure. And it did so in the past. But no more. And very often so.

Similiar things happen with AI car having its nose on my 7-8 or 4-5 o'clock position and being inside the turn - it continues to move to the outside, gently, and just contacts me mildly, and falls back or flashes ahead, depending on what I do, but often, since I am in a turn, I spin, at least wag the tail.

Its not giving me the impression the AI is not aware that I am there. But it seems to underestimate the size of the cars's chassis, pushing into a space where there already is car body present, but thinking there is no car body at all.

I think that I have this since the second last update, I am not certain, I played a little less in recent months. It definitely is relatively new, I have not had this in the past years before, at least not in the cars I use. Obviously there are also cars that I use never, for these I cannot speak, obviously.

• Like Like x 1