AI on Slovakia ring?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heppsan, Apr 11, 2015.

1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I'm racing a GTR 2 Championship, and I have just finished a race at Slovakia ring.
    Is it just me or is the AI extremely unproportionally fast in turn one and the second to last corner at Slovakia ring?

I have no problems hanging on, catching in and overtaking the AI on eny other section of this track..
    I haven't driven this track or the GTR 2 that much so I'm not that good at this combo yet.
    But if I try to mimic the AI on those two turns I'm overshooting the corners really bad, especially the second to last corner.. .
    When I try to take them as fast as I'm able to, the AI can be way back in the mirrors and suddenly just fly by me! :eek:
    Then I catch up and make some overtaking, and then right back to zero again after those turns!. :mad:

The AI is set to 100.

2. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I have noticed that on many tracks. A.I super fast on certain section but slow on others sometimes i wonder is they even are driving the same car, For example at Portimao with the Radical i pass them all during the race then on the long straight they are all wayyyyyy faster than me, then i pass them again only to get passed once more on that straight ( i am running default setup ) .
    I am not a big fan of Ai since all they do is do the same thing every lap, every single one of them.

A suggestion would be to do something like this. If you select 100% then that becomes the middle of the pack skill.
    Make a couple of them 101% and a few of them 99 or 98%
    They already got something for Gentleman AI and Pro Ai in Adac 2014 why make something like , Pro Ai , Gentleman Ai and then randomly assign some that could be more prone to error in pro and Gentleman.
    Right now following the train or being ahead of that train to me is no fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  3. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I've just been racing at Slovakiaring for the first time this weekend (yes it's taken me a while to try it!!) and I'm finding the AI is faster there for a given AI setting than just about any other track.

Like Heppsan (posting over a year ago!!) I'm finding my FRJ car with default set up just can't keep up at all. I realise I'm still learning the track but I can usually stay with the field in last place as I learn but here I'm just being left behind. If I try to stay with AI, I just run wide into the kitty litter.

Not saying there's anything wrong with anything really - except that the AI at this track is not as well calibrated (i.e. similar to other tracks for a given AI setting) as most tracks.

An obvious solution would be to simply lower the AI setting until it suits me - which is fine until I come to do a championship (as the AI in championship must be the same for every track). For example with AI=108 I can compete well with AI at Paul Ricard (and most tracks) but I'll be smashed at Slovakiaring.

Other solution would be adaptive AI, but I have a personal preference for setting AI level myself (go figure!).

My game setting is Get Real, AI = 108.

Heppsan - is this still the same for you a year on?

Anyone else?

4. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I can see everyone's riveted and piling in on this discussion of Slovakia Ring :)...

I continue anyway... after much more practice I realised 3 rather important things - my lines were wrong; my braking points were wrong and gear selections were, you guessed it - wrong.

So a humbling lesson for me in putting in the practice time before blaming someone/thing else... :oops: I am now racing very competitively mid-pack and having a jolly time - it's a great track!!.

However, to Heppsan's original point above, I am still losing a whole 1.5-2 seconds a lap in sector 3 alone (thanks Mr Crew Chief Sir!!) - so that means I am right on the pace in Sectors 1 and 2 cos overall I'm 1.5-2 seconds off the leader.

Now, looking at the track map below sector 3 is not the sort of sector where you'd expect to lose 2 seconds a lap on default set up vs FRJ AI in default set up - it's just one actual turn (T13).

So I guess this is just another note to flag that there may be a small AI issue here.

Although it could still be me. :rolleyes:

Interested to hear other's thoughts... :D

[​IMG]
    [Graphic from http://www.automobilsport.com/race-...l-GT3-Racing-Weekend-timetable-2011,news.htm]

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  5. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    As you state your self, training is key. :)

I guess I was approaching turn 1 and 13 wrong, to early braking points and not the best lines.. Those are actually the turns I gain the most on the AI's nowdays. :p:D (Haven't tried GTR2 for quite some time on there though, so might need to give them a go again to see how I stand)

6. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Wow thanks heppsan.

Looks like I have some serious track work to do..:cool:.

And I may need to thaw out another slice of humble pie if I can find a second or so in T13...

My theme for the week - "takin' the slow out of Slovakia..." :D I crack me up.

• Like Like x 1