Bug AI Pitting in the Closing Stages of a Race...

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by James Cook, Apr 16, 2016.

1. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Just done a 15 minute race with the Audi TT Cup @ Brands Hatch and noticed that most of the field of AI pitted on the final or penultimate lap. Upon watching the replay it seems the AI cars are not being jacked up for new tyres so I can only assume they are pitting for fuel. The stops were fairly quick, approx. 5 seconds.

Is this a case of the AI getting its fuel calculations wrong? Is the AI too cautious when running low on fuel therefore will pit on the last lap even if they have enough fuel to finish the race?

...or is something else going on?

I've noticed this behaviour with other circuits and classes too.

Regards,

James

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    The AI runs very conservative fuel loads from what I have heard. They should have plenty to make it through a race without stopping to refuel... Especially in a 15 min race. There is probably no reason they should refuel in that instance.

I can check the TT Cup at Brands and see if I get the same results, and at least pass this along to the devs to check to make sure fuel consumption is working properly.

Honestly, not sure "when" that threshold for when the AI thinks it needs to pit is. Maybe it is far too aggressive and they think they need to pit before they actually do.

I think every car has very slightly different fuel usage from one another, and I know every class has different usage. Not entirely sure which car/track combos had issues while testing... so perhaps if any future issues arise, you can also share them here so we can look at them more easily. :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  3. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    If I recall correctly, another instance of this was WTCC 2015 @ Paul Ricard (short layout).

Other people have mentioned this in other threads so perhaps they will be able to add to this thread.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    WTCC 15
    Hungaroring
    15 Minute Race

Half the field of AI makes a pit stop within the last five minutes of the race.

5. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I can confirm this. I looked at the replay and they seem to refuel only.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    It happened to me two days ago testing the GTOs at Mid Ohio. 15 min race. They did it everytime.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I've done a 30 min race at Zandvoort Club with FRRJ and the whole field pitted in the last few laps.

8. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't happen when you turn off fuel usage (from my experience).

9. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I just did a 10 min race at Brands Hatch with GT3 cars. Some of the AI cars came in for fuel at the end. The thing is that I enabled mandatory pit stops, so even if the fuel estimation is wrong, I would expect them to refuel while they are already in for their mandatory pit stop, but apparently they don't do that. I think refueling should always be set to "Normal" for the AI during all pit stops.

10. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Just had this happen with GT3 class at Moscow Full layout. 8 min race

11. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    We're having another look at the fuel estimations.
    If you can keep reporting which tracks you're experiencing this on, that'd be appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Had the same happen at Zolder with WTCC 2015 cars.

13. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I just tried that in an 8 min race and 2 Chevrolets went into the pits at the end of the race. They also braked very late for the strange pit entry in Zolder so one of them crashed into the back of another car that was about to turn left into the Jacky Ickx-chicane.

14. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Zandvoort - GT3 - 15Mins. In each of several SP races AI went to pits. For example once the leader went to pits after ~10 mins, some cars went to pits in the last round and finished the race in the pits

15. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Thanks,

I've heard that the tweaks to fuel estimates are finishing up now. That should mean that they'll make it into the next patch.

• Like Like x 2
  16. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    This is still happening. I just did a 15 minutes race with the ADAC GT Masters 2015 cars in Zandvoort with a mandatory pit stop, and some of the AI cars pitted twice, once for tyres and once for fuel. Other AI cars only pitted once and got new tyres and some fuel at the same time, though.