Bug Auto Clutch (still) always working - cannot be turned off!

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Bernhard Gehberger, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Bernhard Gehberger

Bernhard Gehberger New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I read that auto clutch has been an issue for a long time and sadly I noticed it still is. I use manual shifting and deactivate auto clutch in all menus and/or via F5.

Still driving eg. the BMW 635Csi having good old fashioned H-pattern gearbox and manual clutch it is possible to select any gear and flip through them without using the clutch at all - there is auto clutch applied and reving the engine automatically so that the gear can be selected. I double checked that all menu options for manually shifting and deactivated auto clutch are correctly set, but obviously it is STILL IMPOSSIBLE TO TURN AUTO CLUTCH OFF! : (
    I enjoy driving old cars with manual gearbox and clutch, but it makes absolutely no sense if you can do so without touching the clutch... : (

2. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    This has been mentioned and will, hopefully, be rectified.

3. Paul Darke

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    My mistake. I was thinking of a slightly different issue.

4. Paul Darke

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    I have just tested this. With Auto clutch turned off, H shift on and damage enabled, I can up-shift without using the clutch without damage. I can not however down-shift without the clutch as I get gearbox damage from the first down-shift which gets progressively worse on each subsequent down-shift.

5. Bernhard Gehberger

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. The issue is that it should not be possible to do so?!

As long as you don't touch throttle nor clutch it should be impossible to select any gears no matter up- or downshifting. Unless you work with throttle it should not be possible to change gears without clutch. Not upshifting and certainly not down shifting. In a real car it's simply impossible - you won't be able to get the gear in unless you rev-match accordingly with the throttle.

And it's ok that there is damage occuring if you still try to do so, but you should not be able to use the gear in the first place. That's why the feature AUTO-CLUTCH OFF is not working properly.

Also as I described when upshifting (and downshifting btw.) there is some throttle applied automatically - WHY? I want manual shifting and manual clutch - but there are a bunch of assists still going on and maybe in some occasions you get damage as punishment - but that's not the point.

(Additional reason is this: If I want less experienced drivers use your simulation and they are used to a regular car with manual gearbox this simulation behaves completely untypical to a regular manual gearbox (as I described it should not be able to select most gears in most situations without using clutch, but here it is possible all the time to do anything, with maybe some damage). So they would not understand if the need to use clutch or not, as it works perfectly fine without not regarding some damage occuring over time..)

6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    in a real car not being able to manually select a gear without clutch or throttle input is due to friction grinding of metal bits (and it is possible some times ive done it without rev matching , god awful noise and munching going on) the software in game accepts the input as your gear stick isnt connected to lumps of metal ....
    im not saying there arent issues here just its not as clearcut as your saying

Andi

7. Bernhard Gehberger

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree and in other simulations (iRacing e.g.) you will hear this grinding noise if revs are not matching and you are not able to successfully engage the selected gear unless you use the clutch or rev match accordingly - a behaviour I'd expect if you dísable auto clutch.

Going even more into details you could implement it in a fashion that you have a grinding noice for couples of seconds and if you don't back off / use clutch the selected gear eventually get in and causes gear box damage. But the way it is implemented at the moment is totally unrealistic - you can flip through all the gears within seconds, revs are being matched automatically without using clutch or throttle - so that's not a suitable way to implement manual shifting/use of clutch at all.

For me this totally kills the immersion of driving an older car with manual gear box. It simpley doesn't matte if you use clutch or not - the software will perfectly fine throw in any gear selected - even if it's a totally non matching one.. So this feature "disable auto clutch" simply does not work properly.

8. Bernhard Gehberger

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I notice that I am sounding very annoyed.. I therefore want to add that I am very positively surprised by Race Room Experience. Especially by the sound design and also force feedback, it really makes you feel like sitting in the car. That is why I was looking forward so much to drive some older cars using manual H-pattern shifting, but got disapointed here as it did not work as expected at all..

9. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
  10. Bernhard Gehberger

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You simply demonstrate that you can use the gearbox in a way which is basically impossible - exactly my point. You can select and throw in any gear randomly without using clutch and instead of having issues with it, it simply f** up your gearbox instead. There is still every piece of feedback missing that you should not be able to do that and nobody would do.

11. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    you can also barrell roll the car at 200+KPH and press restart , its a game some things arent perfect .....

Andi

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    I only showed with my video that auto clutch is turned off.

13. Bernhard Gehberger

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's a question of definition. In my opinion you did not show that, as you could select any random gear at any time which should not be possible without using the clutch.
    I was driving quite some time without using clutch and as long as you don't do it in a completely mad way, you can drive quite fine without using the clutch and hardly build up damage.
    The original issue remains, that it should not be possible to select any random gear at any time when autoclutch is deactivated.

14. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Shifting without using the clutch is possible when rev matching. He doesn't do it for the downshifts, so the gearbox is broken after one lap. I would say everything is working as intended. Maybe it should be harder to match the revs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1