Resolved Auto full-screen precludes registration

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by mrvibrating, Aug 16, 2020.

1. mrvibrating

mrvibrating New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Per title - upon first launch the game switches to a full-screen resolution too small to display the registration form, which you thus cannot pass to access the video settings and switch back to windowed mode.

The game should either start in windowed mode without limiting window sizes to display resolutions, or else offer an external configurator, or else just a guide to which switches to flip in the otherwise-unreadable graphics config file, or else apply a basic scaling algorithm to keep the GUI within the display size in the first place, or add a "-windowed" preset to the Steam launch options etc. etc.

Shouldn't complain about a free game but still, i was looking forward to having a go..

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    What resolution is your display?

3. mrvibrating

mrvibrating New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    HD up to 4K

The game opens in what looks like 1920*480 full-screen mode, but then immediately forces the registration screen on you, which does not auto-scale vertically. Hence i cannot see the input text fields, nor navigate thru that screen to the video options. The only key that appears to work is the escape key, which just asks you to confirm to quit to desktop.

Obviously, i need it to open in a 1920*960 window (or larger - 2400*1200, 3072*1536 or 3840*2048), however there's no way to force windowed mode with a launch argument, and the graphics config file just seems to contain non-annotated binary switches..

You can see other threads on Steam reporting the same impasse.. if a game's gonna start second-guessing the required video settings it either needs to get it right or else just make sure the GUI scaling algorithm's working (if it's even there).. Whatevs, the game insists on opening in a full-screen mode it's incapable of scaling the GUI to.

If it let me set up the proper resolution first, or better, just make no assumptions other than that the game's been launched from desktop hence opening in a window on that desktop is bound to work (or else how could the user see to launch the game, right?)..

Not had this issue with any other titles..

No biggie, i'm loving RF2 P&G mod, but i'd read good things about RR too, seemed like my kind of racer..

4. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Hello @mrvibrating

Can you please try the file attached here?

1. It's commented, so you can see which line does what and edit what you want with notepad
    2. It should start you up in windowed mode at 1920x1080, with High presets

Close the game first if it's running, then place the file in ..\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ and confirm the overwrite.

Then start the game and it should work™

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. mrvibrating

mrvibrating New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much, i figured it out - switched to 4K, deleted the config and restarted, causing it to open in a 3840*1280 full-screen, then completed the reg form, went into video options and set 1920*960 windowed (was a bit harder to work out since that mode was only visible after playing with the aspect ratio setttings - free / custom window resizing would be easier - got there eventually tho).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    What are these resolutions? I don't have 4k monitor and I assumed they work similarly to lower res ones, but the aspect ratios of the resolutions you mentioned are all over the place, from 1.9:1 to 4:1. Is this a 4k thing or something else?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  7. Richard Abrahams

Richard Abrahams New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow... i have this same exact issue as OP and no clue how to resolve this. smh